Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Suggestion] A few changes need to be made

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OMG Whistler

03-03-2013

I've been meaning to write out my thoughts on a few issues regarding this game for a while now. Before I move on to the issues I’d like to say that I truly like this game and for the most part I like the community (minus the trolling children that beg for attention in video games on a daily basis).

Here is a list of what I am going to cover:

• Language barriers
  • Lack of real in-game communication
  • Reporting players
  • The Tribunal

I warn you now, this will not be short. If you hate reading, lack the intellectual fortitude to progress a conversation in a civilized manner, or have no clue what I just said, then please, by all means, stop reading now and press your back button. I am hoping that this post will spark a serious conversation and that the Riot team will take notice and perhaps get involved.

Language Barriers

I do not know if this problem exists on other servers but I do know that we have a serious issue with it on the North American server. I have been in far too many games where I am unable to communicate with or understand my team mates because they either do not know English, can’t speak English fluently, or I do not know the language they are speaking. This creates a huge problem amongst the team and puts all of us at a disadvantage. Let me also point out that this does not only happen in normal games. There have been many occasions where I have been put on a team with 4 players from a different country, in a ranked game, and I have no way to communicate with them.

This can be solved by adding a language filter into the matchmaking system. This would give us the ability to communicate fluently with our team mates and erase a huge number of false reports going through The Tribunal.

Lack of Real in-game Communication

I've been gaming for a very long time and the ability to play with other gamers revolutionized the gaming industry. In that major change someone along the lines figured out that communication between players was a key component to success. In some slower paced games all you need is to be able to type to someone to get your point across. However, in this PVP based game, where you find yourself needing to tell your team what is happening while you are fighting, you need more.

Now, I understand the fact that the “smart ping” system was just released and although this does give more communication to our game play it doesn't actually do the job of getting the right message out during the heat of battle. We need real communication. Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and a whole host of other clients handle this communication between friends but they do absolutely NOTHING for the solo queue players in ranked and normal games.

Isn't it about time that Riot and League of Legends catches up, in this regard, with the rest of the gaming industry? There is no reason not to give us voice chat in-game.

Reporting Players

This game is absolutely riddled with false reports on a daily basis. Now, I know that there is no real way of fixing this issue completely but there are a few things that can be changed that would reduce the number of false reports greatly.

1. 1. If someone is going to report a player they must type a reason/explanation of who they are reporting and why. This one thing will stop a lot of false reports from ever being sent.

2. Punish repeat offenders of false reporting. Let’s face it; there are a lot of childish trolls out there simply wanting to disrupt a player’s game. I’ve seen, on several occasions, where a small group of “players” team up on one of the team mates and tirelessly troll them to the last second of a game. Where upon, they would then agree to report the singled out player for whatever reason, thus initiating an investigation that was never needed. I have also seen players “trade” reporting. A player on the blue team is mad at one of his team mates while a player on the purple team is frustrated because he had an afk. The player from the purple team says “report so and so” and the mad player from the blue team says “I will if you report this guy on my team” and sadly, they agree. If this kind of action is met with a ban for a few days it will, in time, result in far fewer false reports.

3. Add a small pop up definition under ‘Reason’. There are far too many players out there that do not know the difference between intentional feeding and simply dying from being out played. If a player wants to report another player for “intentional feeding” then let’s put a definition under the reason, once it’s selected, to make sure that the person understands that getting out played, dived, or any other example does not mean that the player was running out in the middle of the enemy team and standing there waiting to die.

The Tribunal

I’ll just come right out and say it; The Tribunal is flawed. Before I continue I will point out that I really liked it when Riot took away the rewards for judging cases in The Tribunal. This stopped a lot of people from rushing through cases in hopes to get a reward. However, there are still plenty of problems. We see a lot of cases posted on these very forums and all over YouTube. Some of them represent legitimate concerns while others are simply guilty players trying to get out of trouble.

In this section I will use a recent case from The Tribunal regarding myself. It covers 5 different games and varies from reason to reason.

The case can be found here:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/case/6242111/#nogo

• In game 1 I had a horrible game while playing Rengar. There is only one valid report and that is the one that stated I was “unskilled”. There is no doubt about it; my game play was horrible during that game. Granted, there were other contributing factors that caused the negative score. The lack of ganks from our jungler, our Morgana going afk, or that I was paired versus a heavy counter impacted my ability to play well. However, the other two reports tell me nothing at all. There is no reason shown nor is there an explanation. There is however, in the chat log, evidence of our Teemo saying that he would report me for intentional feeding yet there is absolutely no proof, of any kind, to show that I was.
  • In game 2 I was playing a bot game and trying to learn a new champion. Although there are 2 reports against me, both with explanations, neither of them are true. The chat log doesn’t lie. I was polite (I even used the word “please&#8221, congratulatory (telling a team mate good job), and helpful/sharing by giving a buff to a team mate. At no point did I rage, curse, talk down to, or harass a member of the team. Yet, here I am, being warned by The Tribunal.
  • In game 3 I am playing with a friend and I am reported twice by 2 players from the enemy team. Only one of them gives an explanation as to why stating that I was “Being mean, reporting for no reason!” Now, I only said 4 things in all-chat and none of it was mean nor did I ever say anything about reporting someone. I will admit to not acting like the adult I am when I was dealing with Shyvana, Wukong, and Teemo but these three were constantly stealing buffs and causing major problems. That being said, none of my team mates reported me. However, if you click ALL in the chat filter you will see that the enemy team had 2 players that were talking in all caps and yelling at their team. It seems to me as if the two people that reported me reported the wrong person.
  • In game 4 we have more proof of being wrongly accused. There are 2 reports from the enemy team, both with explanations, and both not about me and a lie. The first report states that I’m a racist and the second one suggests that I told them they should only learn English and says that I was cursing at the end of the game. Wrong! Read the chat log. Our Zed was raging like a child throwing a tantrum in a candy store. He told the enemy team to report me for being racist yet nothing racist was said. Nothing at all. As for cursing goes it was Zed that was cursing, not I. I believe our Lux even cursed at one point but I never did. So again, here I am with a warning for something I didn't do.
  • In game 5 I have two trolls on my team; Shaco and Singed. From the start Shaco decided he would shadow me and go where I went. If I went to clear wraiths he would follow and steal the kills. If I went back to the lane he would follow and last hit the minions from my lane. Like I said, he was everywhere I was. There is no reason at all for me to get a warning from The Tribunal when I was forced to mute 2 players that only wanted to ruin my gaming experience. I didn't yell at them, I didn't curse at them; I just tried to play the game as best I could with what I had. Even Jarvan asked Shaco and Singed to “stop the hate” The enemy report, I believe, is from Fiora, whom I played with (on the same team) during the previous game. The player was rude and childish and brought that attitude into this game. Hence the comment at the very beginning of the game from Fiora.

So what can we do to fix The Tribunal? Well, I can’t promise perfection but I can say, without a doubt, that making a few changes would allow for a much more balanced and fair system.

1. 1. Use the ideas proposed earlier for reporting players.
    2. Make it so that Player Support has to type in a reason for issuing whatever verdict or punishment. I want to know that the person handling my case is doing their job and not simply having a bad Monday and taking it out on me. This also insures that Player Support is actually reading the chat log and knows what is going on.
    3. Allow the accused player a written rebuttal before the final judgment is issued. Give us a chance to plead our case. Am I really refusing to communicate with my team because I am a toxic player or is it that I can’t understand the language they are speaking or perhaps they were trolls and I didn't want to read the trash they were spewing?
    4. Create a small survey or “test” that has to be answered and passed before a person can judge any cases. I want to make sure that the person with his finger on the punish button is able to read the chat log. If the person can read the questions in English but not Spanish then he/she should NEVER get a case that is Spanish and vice versa.

That’s all I have for now. Again, my intentions are to spark an intelligent conversation about the listed topics that will lead to changes. I love playing this game and would love it even more with a few changes. Let’s see what we can do to make this game and community better.

Tl; dr: Please don’t bother responding if you didn't read it.

Thank you,

Whistler

OMG Whistler

03-03-2013

bump

OMG Whistler

03-04-2013

And another bump. Come on folks, we need to talk about it in order to get Riot to notice.

OMG Whistler

03-05-2013

bump

OMG Whistler

03-06-2013

This sure is a bumpy road...

Nesher

Recruiter

03-08-2013

interesting notes