Finger Ergonomics - Your Preferred Item Slots

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Devious Rogue

03-24-2013

Slot 1 is usually where I put my first item, generally Shurelyas, a Pink Ward, DFG, Zhonyas or Gunblade

Slot 5 is usually where I put my next Combat-active item, such as Twin Shadows or Zhonyas

Slot 3 I use for Sightstone/Ruby Sightstone. It's a bit more awkward to use in combat, but you generally don't need green wards in a team fight and it's distinct from slots 1 and 5 that I don't have to worry about it.

Slot 6 is where I put my next Combat-active item, but seriously, it almost never gets this far.

I find that this set up best allows me to use my items without messing up my finger positioning. I can also simultaneously activate slots 1 and 5. (Generally happens when I'm support and using Shurelyas and Twin Shadows at the same time.)

DashOfLoyalty

03-24-2013

I typically just used slots 1-3 (4 if necessary), middle finger rests on W and can reach both 2 and 3 keys, while my ring finger resting on Q can reach 1 key

ninjawerewulf

03-24-2013

Slot 3 is always Zhonyas.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Slot 1 is always spacebar. I put my actives in that spot, if I have more than that I have a number'd mouse so I just click the spot its in.

Sylvr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Slot 2 is my go-to slot. It's where I put anything that I need quick access to. In the early game, it's where I put my HP pots. Slots 1 and 3 are interchangeable, but my MP pots usually end up on 3 because I got used to it, which usually puts my wards on Slot 1 for that part of the game.

As I start building activated items, they take over slots 1 and 2, with 3 becoming my Ward Slot. If I have more useable items than that, then I put my least-used items on 4 (usually pink wards).

Between my activated items, I try to keep defensive items on 2 and offensive items on 1. For some reason, it's easier for me to hit 2 in a pinch than 1, and I try to prioritize survival. (e.g. DFG on 1 with Zhonya's on 2, or BotRK on 1 with Shurelya's/Randuin's on 2, etc).

I try to avoid having more than 2 activated items. It's hard enough to remember to use 2.

Manipulating my keyboard is definitely something I need to work on. I'd like to be able to use slots above 4 if I need to. I also sometimes accidentally hit V in tense moments when I'm trying to hit F. I've missed a lot of Ignites because of that, while simultaneously back-pinging my team, lol.

Kugel

03-26-2013

Get ready for my horrible keyboard setup,but here goes nothing.

I am handicapped in that for whatever reason, I cannot, for the life of me, master scrolling my screen with my mouse (as in flicking it to the corner of the screen to move it around). So i scroll my screen with my keys. I use RDFG like WASD shifted 2 keys right, have my skills bound to QASZ, and have my items bound to R and Y. With my middle finger on Rit is easy to go over left or right to activate items 1 and 2. I control all my spells with my pinky finger, and have both summoner spells bound to my mouse, along with item slots 3 and 4. I have played almost 2000 games like this now. It works for me and there are a few notable advantages like having your mouse free 100% of the time to cast spells and aim skillshots withought having to bring it all the way to the edge to scroll the screen.

Sidenote: I change my keys around for each champ, so on jax I have leapstrike and empower on A and S, his stun thing on Q and his ult on Z. usually I put the escape/utility on Q, the ult on Z and the other 2 on A/S with the main spell or first spell in the combo on A. this works well for me and has made it so I am used to which keys do what for a certain champion, and get used to each key having a certain role in the kit, which means i cant play transforming champions such as elise/nidalee/jayce because when they transform then the mobility spell goes on A and the attack spell goes on Q and everything gets screwed up for me. I cant get used to having my skills change mid game and going on different keys because I am so used to playing with muscled memory.

Snowbi Wan

03-26-2013

I try to keep things similar to aid muscle memory. Attack based items go on 2. Healing items go on 3. Wards go on 4.

Sephïroth

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeKugelblitz View Post
Get ready for my horrible keyboard setup,but here goes nothing.

I am handicapped in that for whatever reason, I cannot, for the life of me, master scrolling my screen with my mouse (as in flicking it to the corner of the screen to move it around). So i scroll my screen with my keys. I use RDFG like WASD shifted 2 keys right, have my skills bound to QASZ, and have my items bound to R and Y. With my middle finger on Rit is easy to go over left or right to activate items 1 and 2. I control all my spells with my pinky finger, and have both summoner spells bound to my mouse, along with item slots 3 and 4. I have played almost 2000 games like this now. It works for me and there are a few notable advantages like having your mouse free 100% of the time to cast spells and aim skillshots withought having to bring it all the way to the edge to scroll the screen.

Sidenote: I change my keys around for each champ, so on jax I have leapstrike and empower on A and S, his stun thing on Q and his ult on Z. usually I put the escape/utility on Q, the ult on Z and the other 2 on A/S with the main spell or first spell in the combo on A. this works well for me and has made it so I am used to which keys do what for a certain champion, and get used to each key having a certain role in the kit, which means i cant play transforming champions such as elise/nidalee/jayce because when they transform then the mobility spell goes on A and the attack spell goes on Q and everything gets screwed up for me. I cant get used to having my skills change mid game and going on different keys because I am so used to playing with muscled memory.
Oh gawd.... This pains me to even think about, my hat is off to you sir.

Biscuitz w Jelly

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekugelblitz View Post
get ready for my horrible keyboard setup,but here goes nothing.

I am handicapped in that for whatever reason, i cannot, for the life of me, master scrolling my screen with my mouse (as in flicking it to the corner of the screen to move it around). So i scroll my screen with my keys. I use rdfg like wasd shifted 2 keys right, have my skills bound to qasz, and have my items bound to r and y. With my middle finger on rit is easy to go over left or right to activate items 1 and 2. I control all my spells with my pinky finger, and have both summoner spells bound to my mouse, along with item slots 3 and 4. I have played almost 2000 games like this now. It works for me and there are a few notable advantages like having your mouse free 100% of the time to cast spells and aim skillshots withought having to bring it all the way to the edge to scroll the screen.

Sidenote: I change my keys around for each champ, so on jax i have leapstrike and empower on a and s, his stun thing on q and his ult on z. Usually i put the escape/utility on q, the ult on z and the other 2 on a/s with the main spell or first spell in the combo on a. This works well for me and has made it so i am used to which keys do what for a certain champion, and get used to each key having a certain role in the kit, which means i cant play transforming champions such as elise/nidalee/jayce because when they transform then the mobility spell goes on a and the attack spell goes on q and everything gets screwed up for me. I cant get used to having my skills change mid game and going on different keys because i am so used to playing with muscled memory.

so you have r set for 2 keys sir?

SeCKS Egai

03-26-2013

1, 2 and 6 since they're the easiest for me to hit by touch typing whereas the rest I'm prone to hit the wrong key (like 4 instead of 3 or vice versa).