Magic resist = resist to AP? I'm confused.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TEEM0 0N DUTY

03-01-2013

Hello there. I was wondering.

I know how there are AD carries that rely on auto attacks for the majority of their damage.

But I heard somewhere that Tristana is magic damage.

Now, firstly I just want to clarify something.

What is Magic damage, because I know items give Magic Resist.
Is magic damage AP? Are abilities considered magic. I doubt this is so, since you have steroids like fioras thing that speeds her hits up.

I'm just confused. I know things like Annie are Magic damage. But does that only apply to abilities and not her auto attacks? Considering if you go AD on her, her auto attacks hit more.

I'm just confused. I know by the way that AP makes you hit more when you use abilities (not steroids or things like that)

JohnWilkesTwitch

03-01-2013

Ap=Magic damage, Tristana's abilities are magic damage and thus her abilities damage would be lower by building mr, but ad tristana is about auto attacks, so you build armor.

eMkcuF

03-01-2013

Magic damage is calculated almost always by the amount of AP you have. Magic resist provides defense against magic damage. Some abilities scale off of AP and others off of AD.

Zed, for example, has abilities that only scale off of AD; therefore, building AP on Zed will benefit you in no way.

Lux, for example, has abilities that scale only off of AP; therefore, building AD on Lux will not strengthen her abilities, but will only strengthen the damage she does from her basic attacks.

Some champs scale off of different things like mana. Ryze is a champ who has abilites that scale off of AP and mana, so building only mana on Ryze can actually increase the damage dealt with your abilities. Other champs have abilities that scale off of health and even movement speed.

There are even a few champs that deal more damage on basic attacks when they build AP, like Fizz and Miss Fortune.

Capt Carmine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2013

if you look at a champs abilities if it has a green color it scales with ap, if it is orange/redish it scales with ad. abilities can scale with both as certain people have said.

abilities normally do physical damage if they scale with ad and magic damage if they scale with ap, but thats not always the rule shyvanna's w does magic damage but scales with ad, and ap tryn which was popular did physical damage even though it was ap.

you should build armor for trist normally unless you see someone build ap on her then you want mr

TEEM0 0N DUTY

03-01-2013

ahh so I was right in thinking ap = magic. Okay thanks.

Thelohel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2013

It should be noted that the type of stat the ability scales with doesn't always determine the type of damage you deal. Tyrndameres e for examle scales from ap but deals physical damage, as stated by the ability. As such, mr would not reducr his damage.

FrazzledMelon

03-02-2013

Quote:
Not quite...

Quote:
It should be noted that the type of stat the ability scales with doesn't always determine the type of damage you deal.
^^+1 This

Many champions do a combination of physical and magic damage, even though their standard builds only include AP, or AD, or in some cases neither. You need to read the ability descriptions carefully to understand what's going on.

Fluffyknowsyou

03-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggable Guy View Post
Generally speaking, ability power is magic damage

ROKAF JE

03-02-2013

I feel like you guys got trolled.

oNeffy

03-02-2013

Green numbers mean AP, orange/red numbers mean AD, and anything else isn't able to build against.