iBlitzcrank isn't fair

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyryck

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Complaints or otherwise, this skin violates principles we have for having a clear and readable game. Even if no one noticed, I think the insidious effect over the long-term is clear, too.
A clear and readable game? You must honestly be joking, because the people claiming that a giant white claw with huge purple rings trailing it is hard to see need glasses.

Did you even bother addressing this guy's points? Like the giant thread where people were claiming that the claw moves faster than normal Blitzcrank's pull?

The "insidious effect over the long-term" is clear, you're right. Now we're going to be inundated with thread after thread of people complaining about various skins and how they are using "hard to see" graphics or "difficult to hear" sounds.

You've done it to yourselves. The sad thing is that it's going to affect all of us people playing who are going to have to deal with reduced quality and imagination in the skins because of a group of whiners who can't admit that the reason they got caught by a skillshot isn't because it was "hard to see", but because they were outplayed and need to get better.

CaldwellYSR

03-04-2013

I don't understand the problem... I have played against this skin a few times now and I haven't had any problem with his hook. You don't really dodge his hook as it's coming at you anyways, you dodge it before he throws it by behind behind minions or by anticipating the hook and juking it right as it's being thrown. If you're not dodging by the time you see his hook then it's going to get you unless you have a quick flash up your sleeve. It doesn't even look that much harder to see anyways, the blue light is a little harder to see maybe but the claw isn't and that's the important part. I have a much bigger problem with Lux's E in steel legion than blitz' hook.

Morello

Lead Designer

03-04-2013
6 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyryck View Post
A clear and readable game? You must honestly be joking, because the people claiming that a giant white claw with huge purple rings trailing it is hard to see need glasses.

Did you even bother addressing this guy's points? Like the giant thread where people were claiming that the claw moves faster than normal Blitzcrank's pull?

The "insidious effect over the long-term" is clear, you're right. Now we're going to be inundated with thread after thread of people complaining about various skins and how they are using "hard to see" graphics or "difficult to hear" sounds.

You've done it to yourselves. The sad thing is that it's going to affect all of us people playing who are going to have to deal with reduced quality and imagination in the skins because of a group of whiners who can't admit that the reason they got caught by a skillshot isn't because it was "hard to see", but because they were outplayed and need to get better.
And we'll change as we think appropriate - this isn't design-by-committee. Lux and iBlitz are clear and overt problems that we caused, not players. "L2P noobs" is not really a good argument to clarity, anymore than it was when I defended adding the circle ring around Cho'Gath's rupture. We care about this stuff.

Flagrock

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyryck View Post

Or there is an actual problem with this skin and people are calling it out? How many "Garen OP" or "X is OP NERF" threads do you see every day? Riot does NOTHING for the threads complaining about Garen being op, but the ONE true thread they RESPOND to and SAY how they messed up because it's true. Yeah it's a bandwagon, but it's true. This skin has a harder to see grab because the little "wire" is a glow-y purple thing that connects to his arm, and the couple games vs the IBlitz it was harder to see the pull. It might be because the skin is new and people are not used to the skin and particles with it, but seriously, you hear NO complaints over blitz's other skins, so maybe JUST MAYBE, this is ACTUALLY a problem. Get off the bandwagon of "oh you're just a noob" and look at things from an un-bias standpoint.

Biggest problems on the forums, you have the people crying when they lose that champ is op and the other side when something is truly stronger than it should "oh you're just a noob get better". Be reasonable really.

Zerglinator

03-04-2013

Quote:
"L2P noobs" is not really a good argument to clarity
I dunno... when I take Clarity, people usually say "L2P noob".

PHAR0CYDE

03-04-2013

Nice idea to change the iblitz skin wire.

stochastic42

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenonTheStoic View Post
Hey guys! We take this kind of thing very seriously. I've had a quick look at it in customs games and it looks like the blue trail that comes from the hand might be a little bit too easy to lose. It fulfils the same function as the wire in the baseline skin.

I'll have someone from skins look at it on Monday. Thanks for the report!
Thank you, a wise move would be to add to the skin design process a standard checklist where one of the points is "Does this animation give any significant advantages to the player including reducing visibility or delaying visibility" It's not near the only case of this happening.

Chamenas

03-04-2013

Quote:
We'll fix this too, but it's less egregious overall than iBlitz's Q. But this is the other example that stands out.
I like you Morello, but, based on what? That Blitz's Q is more game-changing?

Lux's skills in her skin are just as awful to see and it makes it very difficult to avoid them, which makes laning against her and dealing with her ganks that much harder because she can consistently poke you with greater ease.

Blitz's Q might have more power behind it, but I don't think it's fair to play down the Lux skin issue too.

These are neat skins, but they really do need to be fixed

Salathiel

03-04-2013

maybe just make the blue trails a much brighter light and more of them to simulate the wire? Simple fix I would think

Chamenas

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stochastic42 View Post
Thank you, a wise move would be to add to the skin design process a standard checklist where one of the points is "Does this animation give any significant advantages to the player including reducing visibility or delaying visibility" It's not near the only case of this happening.
I'm sure they do, but a lot of this is perception based. They deal with countless hours of iterations with these skins, most likely, which familiarizes them with the skins to the point that a "difficult to see" graphic might not seem nearly as bad to them after a couple of fixes. However, when it gets released to live with millions of players who have never seen it, the problem that presented itself then, that they thought they fixed, presents itself again.