Language Barrier; Unable to communicate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Buunny

03-01-2013

Here's how my last game went:

My team: Diana, Caitlyn, Vi, Shaco, Jarvan IV
Shaco and Caitlyn went bot, Vi and Jarvan were top

When we were in the loading screen, i noticed my entire team was over 200-300 ping besides me.

I was Diana, soloing mid. For the first 10 minutes of the game, i was doing fine. I was able to push Anivia back and damaged over 3/4 of their mid turrets health.

Bot and Top lane on the other hand both already lost a turret and was not doing so good. So i tried to communicate with them and ask some of them to fall back. Here's the issue, none of them spoke English. Apparently by 20 minutes in the game, i figured it was pointless to try to communicate. They were all either Brazilian, or some sort of Latin/South American. Vi spoke fragmented English, but that was it. This is my 1st time being paired with all Spanish speaking teammates.

On days like this, i wish i had payed more attention in Spanish class. I don't blame them but it was really hard to play when you cannot communicate with teammates on a heavily based teamwork game. None of them knew what Mia meant or what to tell me.

So you can probably figure out what happened next. Mid got ganked by 3. I died, first death. Besides them screaming in Spanish and spamming the Ping buttons and marking the map for help non-stop (and by non-stop, i mean non-stop), we pretty much did nothing. We fed and stalled for another 10-15 minutes and ended up losing.

Lobby: Vi proceeds to call Caitlyn and Jarvan feeders. Were not even sure what Shaco was doing, he was missing 1/2 the time, 0 kills, 0 assist, 7 deaths. Than she calls me feeder too (i gave her 12 assist and she was only 4 kills above me)

I'm not really in the mood to argue at this point so I tell her to go away. In response she cursed me out in Spanish or something of that sort and i leave.

The end: I guess this is something we'll have to learn to deal with just like smurfs. but yeah, the language barrier does make it a bit difficult >.<...anyone else have this happen to them?

Ladayen

03-01-2013

Vast majority of the time you end up with a foreign language team, it's not really an issue. Poor attitude is poor attitude regardless of what language it's in.

Mynx The Origin

03-02-2013

Whenever you get Spanish speakers it can often help to do what I do.

Say "No habla en Espanol," which is "I don't speak Spanish," in Spanish.

This is usually taken at word value and they tend to understand and do their best to communicate in English.

Arwein

03-02-2013

I think I can help you there. I'm originally from Britain and I'm currently living in South America. If you want them to explain the basics just say:

MIA/SS = No está en el mapa. Ten cuidado.
brb/b = voy a base y vuelvo.
Focus [X] = Concéntrate en atacar a [X]
Play defensive/Stay near tower = Juega a la defensiva/Juega al lado de la torre
Care = Ten cuidado.

I can't come up with more useful pre-made sayings at the moment, but I hope these can help you out a little bit just in case you come across with a just-Spanish-speaking-team again.

PS, people in Brazil don't speak Spanish.

Itsmedemo

03-03-2013

The new smart pings should help with this.