New LoL player in tourney tomorrow, what champ can I learn quick?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noobsauce124

03-01-2013

So I'm playing in a tourney with a number of experienced LoL players tomorrow as a quick fill in, and I've never actually played the game before. I'm going to spend some times studying all the champs and how their attacks work in order to prepare, but what one champ should I learn and master tonight? I'm thinking one that won't require a lot of really practiced/well coordinated team work or a deep understanding of how other enemy champs work, but that is still solid enough for me to do well with. Any suggestions? I catch onto games quick so it doesn't have to be a super straight forward one. As far as play style I'm willing to try anything.

Torenthal

03-01-2013

There are 5 different positions you play, talk to your team before you start learning a champion.

-Attack Damage Carry [bottom]
-Support [bottom]
-Ability Power Carry [middle]
-Jungle [jungle]
-AD or Tank [top]

Easiest Champions to Learn Quick
(in my opinion)

ADC: Ashe
Support: Sona
Mid: Veigar
Jungle: (no idea)
Top: (no idea)

---

Just my personal opinion, it takes weeks and sometimes months to master a champion to become good, and even then you're still learning. Best of luck in your tournament!

Grimdreg

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torenthal View Post
There are 5 different positions you play, talk to your team before you start learning a champion.

-Attack Damage Carry [bottom]
-Support [bottom]
-Ability Power Carry [middle]
-Jungle [jungle]
-AD or Tank [top]

Easiest Champions to Learn Quick
(in my opinion)

ADC: Ashe
Mid: Veigar
Jungle: (no idea)
Top: (no idea)

---

Just my personal opinion, it takes weeks and sometimes months to master a champion to become good, and even then you're still learning. Best of luck in your tournament!
Jungle: Warwick
Top: Garen

ReMeDyIII

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torenthal View Post
I'd take it a step further and say Soraka. With Sona, you at least have to aim her ULT. With Soraka, it's a global cast.

AznPanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-01-2013

I would not suggest Veigar as an easy mid to learn, as he has a poor early game where he gets bullied by something like 80% of mid laners. I'd suggest Ryze, as much as I hate using him, as all his spells are point and click.

ReMeDyIII

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznPanda View Post
I would not suggest Veigar as an easy mid to learn, as he has a poor early game where he gets bullied by something like 80% of mid laners. I'd suggest Ryze, as much as I hate using him, as all his spells are point and click.
Agreed. Veigar is one of the hardest champs in the game. To perfect him requires mastering a five button combo utilizing all four of his abilities, plus Deathfire Grasp, and the combo has to be in a very strict order to take full advantage of the combo's dmg and spd. His positioning is also crucial, and his stun circle is VERY hard to pull off since it requires memorizing both the range of the cast and the radius of the circle. Even Scarra on his stream said it's difficult and takes a lot of practice. Veigar also needs to be good at last hitting with his Q and is very mana blue buff dependent.

I know Torenthal hasn't hit lvl 30 yet, so maybe he just doesn't have the exposure to enough mid champs. Whether someone wants to say he's not hard is up to debate, but to say he's easy?... That's flat out wrong.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2013

If they are encouraging you to play even though you have never played the game, they expect you to fail. So let's just shove that down their throats.

Teemo, Heimerdinger, Zilean, Sivir.

All of these champions have ranged basic attacks and abilities that allow them to stay further back from direct combat, which makes you less likely to get killed.

Be paranoid, they ARE out to get you. Keep ordering your champion to move around while waiting for enemy minions to be low on health and then get the last shot in so that you get extra gold and experience. This might be the most important thing you practice, because it is the main route for you to upgrade your champion.

Buy 'Tear Of The Goddess' (a blue drop-shaped item that gives extra mana and mana regen) as soon as you have enough for it. Your next buy is Warmog's Armor, which adds an inordinate amount of health.

For the rest of your items, with Teemo, Heimer, and Zilean, you want to build items that grant magic penetration and ability power. For sivir you want to buy items that grant armor penetration and attack damage.

Skills to build up first: Upgrade their ultimates whenever possible.

Teemo's blinding dart and poison (E and Q, alternate). Poke the enemy- starting with your Q- whenever it isn't going to get you killed. Lay mushrooms everywhere, especially in bushes. Use them as wards as well as weapons.

Heimerdinger's turrets and concussion grenade (Q and E, alternate). Heimer has to wait for turret parts to accumulate before he can set turrets. E has a large range, but takes good timing to hit. It can be especially useful if attack-based enemies get in close- just blind them and flee. Use turrets as offensive wards for bushes the enemy may attack from and also for farming minions or defending your turret.

Zilean's Q and E are potent and expensive spells. When working with allies, E can be given to allies as a huge speed boost or can target enemies to drastically slow them, making them easy pickings for your teammates. You can attach Zilean's Time Bombs to friendly minions to send presents to your enemies at long range. I recommend after 3 levels on Q and E that you begin alternating in his W, which lowers the cooldowns on his other abilities.

Sivir is a carry. She starts of much weaker than other, non-carry champions, but can eventually become so dangerous she can 'carry' her team to victory almost singlehandedly. Skill order: W, E, W, Q, E, R, then alternate W and Q until you fill them. Last hits are even more important to carries than other types of champions, because the quicker they get built up, the more of an advantage your team has. Use W and Q to safely poke the enemy while simultaneously farming. In teamfights don't forget to activate your ultimate, it boosts all nearby allies.

Don't get greedy, always assume the enemy is leading you into a trap.

I don't consider these the easiest to learn, but I feel these champions have extremely good potential and remain aloof from deep combat. Welcome to league, I hope you enjoy it.

Knowing the community as I do, I reserve this last thought for anyone who feels inclined to berate my strategies and advice. *Equip Monocle*
You are a petulant, arrogant and obtuse-
an inane and disgusting piece of refuse.
Good day, sir.

*unequip monocle*