Barrier vs. Heal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheMisterAce

03-01-2013

Isn't heal better in every form? It gives a similar amount of health and it lasts longer than 3 seconds.

How is Barrier useful at all?

Armstice

03-01-2013

It isn't halfed in effectivness by ignite.

sebbster

03-01-2013

indeed barier is better fore sole purpose of self protection, but a heal spell can heal the entire team if you stand in the middle of it.
I say that both spells are equialy as efficent depending on the situation

Armstice

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbster View Post
indeed barier is better fore sole purpose of self protection, but a heal spell can heal the entire team if you stand in the middle of it.
I say that both spells are equialy as efficent depending on the situation
Long story short, if you are a carry you don't take heal. Your job is dishing out damage while living.

With the current meta, you take cleanse, ignite or barrier based on the oposing teams comp, your comps peel ability and your playstyle.

Edit: You don't take heal because you will likely be the target of an ignite when you need it.

Korentoth

08-26-2013

I was just wondering this myself, and here's what I've realized: You, personally, get more HP if you use Barrier (at the right time). If you're a carry, odds are you'll need as much free HP as you can get. Since you're a carry, you'll probably also be the target of Ignite, and "reduced healing" effects like Ignite affect Summoner Heal but not Barrier. Furthermore, the tank or support may be running Heal, and a second Heal has diminished returns when you need HP now.

If there's only two of you (i.e. laning phase), Heal + Barrier generates more hitpoints between the two of you than two Heals or two Barriers. If there's three or more champs (i.e. teamfight phase), even a reduced efficiency Heal will generate more hp than a Barrier. Supports can take Heal to protect their carry and add durability in teamfights (compare Exhaust, which can protect your carry and help secure kills in individual fights). Likewise, if no one is taking Heal, you could take Heal instead of Barrier for almost the same sustain for yourself and boost your team's group fights (and 5 hp per level for one mastery point).

Oh, and as long as people are injured, it doesn't matter when you cast Heal (as long as you cast it before they die), whereas Barrier has a very tight timing window (after the enemy commits-to-attacking/casts-their-spell but before it hits).

steveelite

08-26-2013

Barrier is way better for ADC. Heal is good for tanky champs imo.