Pick Order and Calls

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dpaladinx

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalimmortal View Post
It doesn't matter what you call, draft is draft. If you don't like pick order, don't play draft. If you DO play draft, you should know how to play all of the roles at least decently.
No, pick order is completely unfair and Summoner's Code does not say that. Putting pick order as higher priority limits last pick's flexibility and in often cases, end up in a role that they are bad at.

The best thing is communication and compromise. Heck, I even gave up my main role as adc to the lower picks (despite having first picking rights) when I find out some players can't play support well (For the record, support is my second best role, jungling is the weakest role for me).

Just try to flexible. Tell your teammates your strongest and weakest roles. If you end up as the weakest role, try to communicate with your team to see what they can do make things easier for you.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaladinx View Post
No, pick order is completely unfair and Summoner's Code does not say that. Putting pick order as higher priority limits last pick's flexibility and in often cases, end up in a role that they are bad at.

The best thing is communication and compromise. Heck, I even gave up my main role as adc to the lower picks (despite having first picking rights) when I find out some players can't play support well (For the record, support is my second best role, jungling is the weakest role for me).

Just try to flexible. Tell your teammates your strongest and weakest roles. If you end up as the weakest role, try to communicate with your team to see what they can do make things easier for you.

You making a good and valid post?

I am astonished.

+1

Zer0Kill

03-07-2013

My biggest issue is the greediness. I give up my role if I call, I'm lastpick/lower in the order and someone say "nah, i'm X", and I know how to support, which is almost ALWAYS the odd pick out, and only when a new champ is out do you see anyone call support. But when you don't speak? And just pick a champ for mid or adc without saying anything? That's really rustles my jimmies. That's a big ol' middle finger to your team. But, they just say "pick order" and you can't really do anything.

Also, getting back to the point i mentioned about support being odd man out, this is what really bugs me. People don't want to support. A good support wins games. A good support SECURES games. A good support can carry the team with 0 kills. But people don't like getting 0 kills. PEople like inflated scores, carrying a team by dealing death. "Screw wards, I'm gonna be the guy who dives in and wreck everyone. And I'm gonna yell at the support all game, cuz he totally needs to be all over that warding and stuff." Everyone hates on a support, but nobody wants to do it. Support hate is one of the underlying problems with pick order vs call, since 9/10 games no one wants to be that guy in bot lane. No one wants to be the wall, the warder, the cc, the auras. Imagine how nice it would be if every game you had one guy who mained support? How much happier the world would be. How much fewer ragers we'd have.

(This post has been brought to you by the coalition for under appreciated support players.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aea9IQlNphU

Bane1998

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSilverNinja View Post
Does anyone else besides me think people abuse the pick order over calls situation? I was just recently in a game where I called mid but was last pick, then so a few minutes into the bans and picks a person on my team called mid after we started picking. I proceeded to tell him I called mid before him and he needs to pick something else but like most people in this game if someone has last pick they say" Screw you I pick before you" so I decided to dodged the que. because the only thing left after that was support and I am not the best support player. Does anyone else think that is not fair for someone to take your position you called just because they pick higher?

Please say some other people in the LOL community are nice enough to respect calls even though they wanted that position. I on that account am 1 of those people. If anyone else is please leave a post on this thread. Maybe we can get more nice people in LOL.

Thanks and have a nice day
I think both sides are wrong, basically.

Call Order is kind of silly, since if I can type faster or cut and paste faster, I win. That's pretty dumb, yeah? At least pick order is actually random or controlled by Riot, and not my typing/ping latency.

But pick order is pretty silly too. If I'm terrible at support, and I'm last pick, and everyone else picks the other roles, then it hurts the team.

An 'ideal state' is that among 5 players, you somehow work out people's strengths in various roles, to get the optimal team. I may be best {Mid, Top, Jungle, ADC, Support} in that order, but everyone else lists Top as their worst roles. It would be better for me to take Top than Mid then.

Obviously, that ideal state is hard to come to in the champ select timeframe with random people you've never met before or ever will again, but if you enjoy winning you should strive to get as close as you can to that state, rather than arguing over pick vs call order.

I LIKE that people 'call', but to me that's just giving me information on 'they are best at that role.' That's valuable information in trying to get to the ideal state, but it's not the end of the conversation. 'Calling' your role is just the beginning of the conversation. It's the first step in the negotiation.

Bane1998

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Kill View Post
People don't want to support. A good support wins games. A good support SECURES games. A good support can carry the team with 0 kills. But people don't like getting 0 kills. PEople like inflated scores, carrying a team by dealing death. "Screw wards, I'm gonna be the guy who dives in and wreck everyone. And I'm gonna yell at the support all game, cuz he totally needs to be all over that warding and stuff." Everyone hates on a support, but nobody wants to do it
Support takes a strong will. You're doing something very different than the rest of the team, and they may or may not ever notice it's the result of a player. I take pleasure in watching someone pinging an enemy seen by a ward I placed. Or, seeing a teammate change direction because of something he saw in one of my wards.

But I doubt they recognize what all went into them being able to have that vision. I had to plan my build around ward expenses, while not becoming irrelevant in late game. I had to figure out where to place my limited gold worth of vision to be most optimal. I had to find the right time to safely go and place the wards, while having them still be effective. And I have to monitor the time to keep track of when wards will be expiring, and when different things become important, like Baron. I've literally had 1 game where someone mentioned 'great vision, won us the game' or something like that. I try to do that for supports when I'm playing other roles.

Also, I play Zilean so if I land an ult at the right time I quite often get a thank you after the fight. People are surprised to not die. But there are always the ults I miss cuz I was in a bad position, or just ulted the wrong person, or some other screw up and people want to yell at me. But so be it, they are just emotional. Sometimes I pull off the most wicked moves, and sometimes I completely fail. It happens.

Zer0Kill

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane1998 View Post
Support takes a strong will. You're doing something very different than the rest of the team, and they may or may not ever notice it's the result of a player. I take pleasure in watching someone pinging an enemy seen by a ward I placed. Or, seeing a teammate change direction because of something he saw in one of my wards.

But I doubt they recognize what all went into them being able to have that vision. I had to plan my build around ward expenses, while not becoming irrelevant in late game. I had to figure out where to place my limited gold worth of vision to be most optimal. I had to find the right time to safely go and place the wards, while having them still be effective. And I have to monitor the time to keep track of when wards will be expiring, and when different things become important, like Baron. I've literally had 1 game where someone mentioned 'great vision, won us the game' or something like that. I try to do that for supports when I'm playing other roles.

Also, I play Zilean so if I land an ult at the right time I quite often get a thank you after the fight. People are surprised to not die. But there are always the ults I miss cuz I was in a bad position, or just ulted the wrong person, or some other screw up and people want to yell at me. But so be it, they are just emotional. Sometimes I pull off the most wicked moves, and sometimes I completely fail. It happens.
Support mains are the unsung heroes of the League. Hats off to you, sir.

Akira Kid41

03-07-2013

Good players in solo queue will play what they want, where they want, when they want. Bad players will play what they want, where they want, when they want with a first pick in an obvious role/lane; then proceed to get countered heavily and throw games. So F*** you noobs that do that, stay out of ranked.

Ada Wong

03-07-2013

In random games I just play whatever I want and can actually play well.

My mates can either debate me and loose or listen and likely win.

I play best alone unless I got people on TS, Mumble, or vent and know exactly how I play and not derp up otherwise they will get fed by me which again goes back to #2 why I do best alone than with someone who is useless.

jjmterrain

03-07-2013

if you cant play all roles gtfo of ranked play please. seriously you guys are the problem........

Zer0Kill

03-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobcak View Post
if you cant play all roles gtfo of ranked play please. seriously you guys are the problem........
I don't think you can really flat out exclude a group of people from ranked like that. I agree it's frustrating, and you SHOULD learn to play at least 2 champs in every position before joining ranked, but it's to the detriment of the team when someone doesn't compromise to compensate just as much as it's a detriment to be unable to fill a particular role well.