This game is demoralizing for new players.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xsouldier

02-28-2013

Ill say that I did not have this problem when I was leveling my account everyone was always was nice and showed respect to me so I did the same. (but that was back when the game first started out)

This community is really rough everyone believes they are right, (sometimes true) and they see the pros do what they do so they want to do that as well.

you like to play casually and I like that I believe thats how everyone should play in normals and go tryhard in ranked. and from what the guy above me said and me looking up the OP your doing really well for where you are at, learn when you can, do your best, and just have fun with it. ^.^

KOblivion

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerouz View Post
I would say I'm fairly newish to the game. I've had it for a while, but don't play often. I'm level 22, I think. I only play about 2-3 games a week. Now, over the course of the time I've played, you'd think I've gathered enough information to understand the role of each champion, which lane they go fight in, and when to do certain things in game.

The problem is, I haven't. I play very sparingly and it's when I have free time to do so, which may be an hour or two a week. I like the game, it's fun. But the community of players you find in game isn't. More often than not, as soon as I pick a champion, I get called all sorts of expletives. Most of the time, my sexual orientation is called into question, without me even saying a word.

Last night I played a game with a buddy. We aren't seasoned veterans, so we pick champions we've played before and are comfortable with. As soon as we picked our champions, a player on our team proceeds to start using profanity and telling us we're going to lose, because we had no mid lane champion. He proceeds to completely harass each person on our team and calling out players when they die. What gives him the right to pick a champion at will, then flame everyone else for picking one? I eventually ignore him, but I can still see other players on the team are arguing with him.

When the 20 minutes elapse, we just surrender the game, as at this point the player in question isn't playing, just harassing others. I report him after the game. Here's where the shock came in. There's an option for reporting unskilled players. What kind of mindset does that breed in a player base?

The next game we get into, as soon as I pick my champion I get called a few homophobic terms, and another player tells me to uninstall the game and never think about playing again. They leave the game lobby, and we're stuck looking for another game.

But it's not just that. I'll ask for help in game about where I need to go, how the lanes work, and what champions are good where. Because quite honestly, I just don't know. Seven out of ten times, you don't get help, you get called names, cursed at or called derogatory, homophobic names. It does't lend well to new players looking to improve, or even learn anything about the game.

Admittedly, I could do more research outside of the game, and I've tried some. But some people just don't have the time to devote to researching a game they only have a couple hours a week to play. I don't think it makes those players any less entitled to play a game than anyone else. Also, you would think with an ELO system, you'd eventually get paired with players of the same skill. So why am I having to play with players that are evidently way more skilled than me?
There is a report and ignore button for nasty demoralizing people. Press and hold tab and click on the chat bubble next to there name, and report after the fight and give a legit summery, i am sure riot will look at the saved chat logs and hold them accountable. the community on this game is extremely competitive, and usually teenagers. As a kid who goes to a high school with 6500 students, when there is competitive game play there is cursing and then there are thoughs that do it to sound "cool".

You asked about what champions are good and where. Here is a guide to that if your curios: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3160040 It seemingly helped me quite a bit. and if your trying a new champion please try bot games out. People there are much kinder and you can try things to see what works. there are usually guides to champions on google, but i would recommend finding what works for you and defining your own play-style.

I do not claim to be an expert, atleast not yet. I am a level 23 and i have a 68% win ratio and a total of 90 wins as of this post. (Only counting pvp games, 85 wins, all 90 wins) I Play as a (support/Tank - Bot) thresh. (Tank - Top) Jarvan, (Assassin - mid) Talon/Kat (Jungler - Jungle) Nunu And (Ap Carry - Bot) Ashe, Caitlin, (AP Carry - Bot, Mid) - None

I can play as most roles to help a team which makes me valuable. Ping me in game and we can hang out and enjoy our selves. ~ Knights of Oblivion (KOblivion)

Xerouz

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladayen View Post
Actually.. pulling the OP up on LoLking I would say he's actually well ahead of the average player. Miles ahead of me at lvl 20. I think this is the problem. He is being placed with players who have a deeper knowledge of the game because they are smurfs.. most likely they have had their main account banned.

He's using relevant builds (ap or ad focused anyhow) has runes and masteries up to date. Even has Tier 2 runes (for future reference dont buy tier 2. Cost vs reward is horrible. I recommend tier one then get tier 3 at 20 or when you can afford them. Some dont bother with runes at all until tier 3.)
I have done some research in what builds to do. That part is easy thanks to mobafire. But until I saw a thread in these forums yesterday, I didn't understand why champions went certain lanes. For some reason that information was eluding me. It was the actual metagame that was giving me trouble. I didn't really understand what roles the champions played, and why they went in a lane.

And this is probably why people raged at me. I can understand getting upset when a player isn't playing the way you need them to. But to out-right flame and belittle from the very get go?

There are still some issues I'm having, like last hitting, knowing how an enemy champion is going to come at me, exactly where to ward. I'm trying to get better. I actually didn't even know how Bot games worked until yesterday. I thought it was you with 4 AI teammates vs 5 AI bots. So I didn't put any stock into it.

Commander Quack

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2013

I can help you out, I got a few buddys I play with and were gold. Just add me and I can help you get better