Caitlyn Tips/Tricks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zumph

02-27-2013

So yeah I played 4 games with Caitlyn and absolutley love her for ADC, I was just wondering if there are any tips with her? Any tricks you might''ve learned? I saw that building Runaan’s Hurricane is good on her almost any game since she gains one stack of Headshot for each target hit. Fires Headshot only at the primary target. I mean also I can get her up to 2.00 As+ at lvl 18 and I think thats amazing especially since you can stack your headshot in 2-3 seconds and sometimes get it after a crit. Any other items or tricks you have with her please let me know thanks

Jobroskie

02-27-2013

The problem with Runaans is that it does't give any crit chance. Phantom dancer with infinity edge will deal more damage than runaans with infinity edge

Im S0fa King

02-27-2013

A cool trick with Caitlyn is to set her skills to smartcast and then press E-Q very quickly. She'll fire the net and hop backwards, but her Q will fire from her original position rather than from where she lands. It's pretty handy for finishing off a player at low health, and if they don't die, you can follow up with your ult.

(You can do this without smartcast but smartcast makes it easier to do.)

Also a lot of new players like to build nothing but attack speed because it looks cool, but the damage output is sub-par. Typically you want infinity edge, phantom dancer, and bloodthirster (and at some point last whisper) for maximum damage output. Also remember that you can hop over some walls with Caitlyn's net. It helps to play a 1v0 custom game and go around figuring out which walls you can hop over.

Zumph

02-27-2013

Whats smart cast? Explain please?

Im S0fa King

02-27-2013

So, normally when you cast Q, you'd press Q on your keyboard, and then click on your screen where you want to cast it. Smartcast makes it so that when you press Q, your champion immediately casts the Q spell towards the mouse pointer. So for the combo I described, you would hover your mouse over your target and press E-Q very quickly.

You can change your keybindings by going into the menu during a game and changing the keybindings. I would suggest doing this in a custom match if it is your first time changing keybindings.

I personally play with all my skills set to smartcast, meaning I bind smartcast spell 1 to Q, smartcast spell 2 to W, and so on. It lets you play faster, but for particular champs it can make their spells harder to aim.

Swift Hikari

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2013

In my practice with Caitlyn since her release, it's good to set traps in the river bush to potentially stop a jungler from ganking your lane. It's common practice for many jungle champions to sit in either the triangular bush (or tribush) or the bush closest to the lane, and they can get caught in the trap, immobilizing them and revealing their position. A more aggressive tactic is to trap the bushes against the edge of the lane, where supports like to hide and poke at you from afar. Since you can have up to three traps at any time that last for 4 minutes, it creates a blocked path they must either get caught in themselves or avoid. You can use it to escape, too, if you drop it under you while being chased.
Honestly, they're her best utility, arguably over her net. Kill set ups, escapes, and vision of position on the map for your team.

RiotKTGoldwolf

Assistant Producer

02-27-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Hikari View Post
In my practice with Caitlyn since her release, it's good to set traps in the river bush to potentially stop a jungler from ganking your lane. It's common practice for many jungle champions to sit in either the triangular bush (or tribush) or the bush closest to the lane, and they can get caught in the trap, immobilizing them and revealing their position. A more aggressive tactic is to trap the bushes against the edge of the lane, where supports like to hide and poke at you from afar. Since you can have up to three traps at any time that last for 4 minutes, it creates a blocked path they must either get caught in themselves or avoid. You can use it to escape, too, if you drop it under you while being chased.
Honestly, they're her best utility, arguably over her net. Kill set ups, escapes, and vision of position on the map for your team.
Definitely don't underestimate the traps. Holding an opponent still is useful enough, but they also give you vision of the target for quite a while after that! Sometimes junglers will step on one and decide to abandon ganking you, but will walk into the jungle when you still have vision on you. Pay attention to where they go to help our your team (for example, if they head back to mid you can warn your mid laner, or if they go to get their blue or red buff you can even team up to steal the buff or even kill the distracted jungler.

If you want to be really mean, you can use all three traps to span the width of your lane - making it so that enemies cannot even walk down the lane unless they're willing to step on a trap (where you will shoot them from a safe distance while they are helpless.)

Im S0fa King

02-27-2013

Btw, since a red is in here; Is Caitlyn's E-Q combo intentional? It's cool that the Q fires from her starting position but it doesn't really make sense, heh.

RiotKTGoldwolf

Assistant Producer

02-27-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im S0fa King View Post
Btw, since a red is in here; Is Caitlyn's E-Q combo intentional? It's cool that the Q fires from her starting position but it doesn't really make sense, heh.
I had actually had never seen nor heard of that before (since I'm a non-smartcaster for most of my champions) but after it was mentioned in this thread I saw it happen in the LCS just a few minutes afterward.

I'll ask some people in the know and see what they think.

Nya Aoi

02-27-2013

I had some trivial questions , but now its too formal I can't ask