Frusteration with LP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Agnostic Priest

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2013

I am trying to understand the logic with win / loss of LP.

I went on a huge winning spree. I believe I went from (gold 1) 25 points, all the way to 95. No losses in between. My LP gains were reduced beyond 80, which I understand is to make it more difficult...... +7. +5. But the win that took me to 95 gave me....... +3? At that rate, I would have had to won another 3 games?

Now that's okay. I lost a game ( and played poorly might I add), and lost 5 LP. Fair enough. Then I lost a second game. MINUS 14.

Now I am down to 76. I am have to going to win another 6 or 7 games just to make up for the 2 I lost, and that is even before the promotion series. Is it necessary to make it THAT difficult to advance? I am trying so hard to make it to Plat, and being a support main is hard enough.

Can anyone explain why this is the way it is

And I spelt Frustration wrong. FML

Shadeykris

02-26-2013

LP gain / loss is based on... well it compares your League placement with your hidden matchmaking rating (MMR, formerly Elo). If your MMR is higher than your League, it tries to move you up faster (more points). If its lower, you get clamped (less points). Some threads for ref, and more to do with LP gain/loss:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3084419

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3081991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaen View Post

So, just for my clarification when I try to explain this.

If your MMR is approximately equal your league placement, you should be seeing similar LP gain/losses (Other then the tier clamping) per game.

If your MMR is higher then your league placement, you should be seeing large win values, smaller loss values, as its trying to move you up.

If your MMR is lower then your league placement, you should be seeing low win values, high loss values, as its trying to move you down.

Roughly speaking, that is, I know there are conditions on division/tier steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydion View Post
This is roughly correct. And based on my experience the clamping is minimal if your MMR is approximately equal to your league placement, as I gained 15 LP from 85 LP after hovering around 90 LP. I'll let Yegg handle the specifics though.
As long as you win more than you lose, your MMR will go up. As long as your MMR goes up, eventually you will be able to go up in Leagues. Bc if your MMR gets ahead of your LP, the system will give you bigger gains to help you get there.

Hang in there!

Agnostic Priest

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2013

Ah
Well thanks for the links, I am not a fan of clamping ><
well here we go again!