Wards: Why allow unlimited amounts?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptPlanet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2010

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of wards. And I love the idea of countering wards with oracles, it's a great strategy, adds map control, blah blah blah. But why, why, why, would we allow 10+ wards to be bought at a time by teams? Why would you allow a team to have complete, COMPLETE vision of the entire enemy side and all gank routes at all times? It completely hinders gank teams, which is why we see very little kill counts now. You can't move around because even if you are you'll be seen doing it and all they have to do is retreat/counter-gank.

I'm not saying wards should be removed, but I'm just saying there should be a limit to the amount of wards you can buy at a time. This idea is a bit stolen from HoN but I love the principle of it. In the shop...

- Green wards have 3 counters. Everytime you buy a ward, you remove a counter. Counters respawn at the rate of 1 every 1.5 minutes (Meaning you can burst buy 3 wards, place them, and when they expire, the CD will be up again).

- Red wards have 2 counters. Everytime you buy a ward, you remove a counter. Counters respawn at the rate of 1 every 1.75 minutes (Meaning you can burst buy 2 wards, place them, and when they expire, the CD will be up again).

Note, this only applies to BUYING them. You can horde wards if you want and place them all over the map for a greater ward control for 4.5 minutes, but you can't do it all the time. This will still allow people to still have decent/specific map control, allow for spurts of total map control IF YOU PLAN AHEAD, and allow for people who can place ward-like abilities a better niche.

I don't know, this is just a suggestion, because I really want to see ganking be a bit more effective than it already is, but my biggest fear is that if this next map is really gonna be about skirmishes and (1-3)v(1-3)s, the team that invests in more wards will be the victors, rather than key ward placement.

Mmm Whatcha Say

10-30-2010

How about unlimited Puple ones, but limited Green, like you said. Afterall, purple wards are meant for invisible and are more expensive, have shorter sight range and last less time. Atleast in DotA, normal wards were limited, but Truesight were unlimited.

MythcBurst

10-30-2010

Who cares..you waste money on wards.. and if u buy more than needed ur just an idiot

Colleen

10-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDARemote View Post
Who cares..you waste money on wards.. and if u buy more than needed ur just an idiot
That would be true, if wards didn't cost 90 gold.

I routinely go back to base for the first time on a support champ and buy 10-15 wards, depending on how well I've been doing. Some might think that's excessive, but the people who's lives you save because they don't get ganked is well worth the meager cost of wards.

It's almost worth far too much for how little wards cost.

MythcBurst

10-30-2010

you usually need 3 to not be ganked, maybe 5

1 at top brush
1 at bot brush

and 2 in mid burshes

and rebuy when they expire if needed

Aelloon

10-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
That would be true, if wards didn't cost 90 gold.

I routinely go back to base for the first time on a support champ and buy 10-15 wards, depending on how well I've been doing. Some might think that's excessive, but the people who's lives you save because they don't get ganked is well worth the meager cost of wards.

It's almost worth far too much for how little wards cost.
Tell that to the Soraka who just died in the team fight because you couldn't kill their tank quickly enough because he stacked armor. (And because you spent almost 1.5k gold on just wards, so you couldn't get a LW.)

CuteFluffyBunny

10-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelloon View Post
Tell that to the Soraka who just died in the team fight because you couldn't kill their tank quickly enough because he stacked armor. (And because you spent almost 1.5k gold on just wards, so you couldn't get a LW.)
Why would you try to kill the tank in a team fight?

Seiuchi

10-30-2010

Getting 10 wards costs you 900 gold and gives the enemy 250 gold if they get oracle's. What ends up happening is that if they're smart, you lose 900 gold for no advantage and they lose 150 gold for true sight until death.

Delycious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2010

Both teams are able to buy unlimited wards, so it's not just one team. Plus, majority of the time not a lot of players utilize this item to its fullest potential, just rare few does.

Rhynocerous

10-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelloon View Post
... so Soraka got killed by the armor stacking tank that you couldn't focus down first because the carry spent 1500 on wards?

There are so many things wrong with this situation...