Guide to becoming a better Moba gamer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MPendragon

02-26-2013

Hi all, my name is Matt.

I have Moba gaming aliases; MPendragon (LoL), MaJYNA (Warcraft 3/DotA2), HollowMask (HoN). None of which are referenced to anyone in the Moba gaming industry, although I am fond of their work in their field. I played Warcraft 3 for ages - the ladder, Zoator TD, numerous other TDs, RPGs, etc etc.

I started playing DotA 1 years after it had already come out, I believe I started DotA 1 at around Grade 11 - this would have been 9 years ago. I played the game casually for about 2 years before I even noticed the difference between Easy Mode & Normal Mode. Was just oblivious to the game mode. It then took me an additional 2 years to realize what last hitting and denying was. I was off a really slow start you could say.

After learning the basics of the game, I decided to challenge myself to a higher ranking of competitive gameplay - thus decided to participate in the Public DXD DotA League. A league now reknown as DRD, a competitive HoN clan. This league showed me the greatest challenges and differences between casual play and competitive play. My first game I was 0 - 12 - 1, and I was trying as hard as I could. I remember playing a game 13 - 5 - 31, and getting manhandled in the final showdown. I also remember forcing a team into submission by the time I had hit level 7.

This dota league taught me the most important aspects of the game - and I am about to hand over that knowledge to you - if you accept it.

Thus this cannot wait - Shoutout to IceFrog and Guinsoo for some WELL designed games. Thank you!

I will be returning to my thread in order to edit changes to it as my guide will take a long time to perfect - please be patient.

1: Learning the basics of the game

The basics are generally the most difficult aspect of the game to learn - to brand new players. Some of these things are learning heroes and their abilities, as well as learning items and their advantages. Finding suitable items for certain heroes can take practice, the idea of building a premade guide for each hero is a wonderful asset, as it greatly assists newer players on finding a good build. I won't even beat around the bush, I myself use the build guide for some of my heroes. (Again, I will beat around the bush, I have only played a handful of heroes)

If you are starting the game, and you do not understand what it is that the heroes do try this out. Pick 3 - 6 heroes and begin to learn how to play them. Eventually you will learn that the heroes have innate strengths that get stronger upon using them in a specific way.

Example:
Ashe - AD Carry - Ashe is a simple hero, easy to get used to, and gains her strengths based off of Attack Damage (AD). Her multi shot ability gains strength based on AD. Her ultimate (for whatever reason) scales based on a strength of Ability Power (AP). I don't know why, perhaps the developers thought that the ability to shoot an arrow from one end of the map to the other was powerful enough, let alone allowing it to stack with AD. Shrug.

Example # 2:
Annie - AP Carry - Annie is also a simple hero, very easy to get used to. All of her abilities scale based off of Ability Power (AP). She deals great amounts of burst damage, as well as a great amount of Area of Effect (AoE) damage. This is a great hero to play to learn how to team fight.

Example #3:
Amumu - AP Tank - No, my examples starting with the letter A is not coincidental, these are all of my top 3 most played champions - coincidentally. Amumu is a more challenging hero to play, and more difficult to get used to. This is the first champion of my examples I would recommend jungling with. Amumu excels in melee AoE damage as well as initiating ganks and team fights. *Please review jungling guide before playing this hero*.

I would strongly recommend learning:
1 AD Carry
1 AD Tank
1 AD Jungler
1 AP Carry
1 AP Jungler
1 Support
*Also, create Mastery pages and Rune pages for these different builds and rename them.*

In more advanced games setups generally go as such:
1v1 AD Top Lane
1v1 AP Mid Lane
2v2 AD/AP & Support Bottom Lane
1 Jungler on each side

2: Finding suitable players to game with

This is the most important part of the game that anybody will ever teach you. Find friends to play with. It will be more enjoyable for you to play with them, and you can also (usually) guarantee that they won't report you. The greatest reason to find friends is so that you can build a team of friends into a type of gameplay that you want to play. You won't be forced to play another players' style of play, or you won't ruin their style of play by playing your own.

Also, there is a vast majority of "smurfs, swindlers, trolls, bads, mads" that might ruin the pleasantry of the game for you. These are generally people who are very good at the game, but pretend that they are not just so you are getting a misconstrued perception of the way that the game is to be played. These people are impossible to avoid, as the game was basically founded by them.

Note: Never respond back to a players hostility with hostility. Two wrongs do not make a right - and in the code of conduct you agreed to not be verbally abusive towards another player - no matter if they are abusive towards you. Take a notepad and jot down the names of these players and their comments, and report them come the end of the match.

3: Picking & Laning

As mentioned above with the generic setup of a team, it's important to build a team so that it is able to cover all roles. You always want to be as adaptive as you possibly can.

A good example: An entire team can pick AD carries with AD items, and it would only take 2-3 opponents with AD Armour to counter this - which would the outcome of the game very one sided.

You want to be able to adapt, and have balance. That is very important.

Having a player playing support is also quite important. There will be a bracket you could reach that will ALWAYS have a support on each time, usually they are calling their role as support so that your team knows that they have one, and won't select a second.