Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Need advice about my teammates

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GXtreme

02-26-2013

Hello Everyone,
First thank you for taking the time to review post on a matter that is both a discerning and sensitive situation for me and thank you for any responses that may help resolve this matter.
Also my problem deserves a bit of an explanation so if you don't want to read all of it I will just write the straight forward question down at the end of this post...Now let's begin.

I am fairly new to the competitive gaming world, reason being I have anxiety and I just find it more comfortable to play games in a non-competitive, non-hostile fashion. Then my brother started playing LoL...I would watch him from time to time just observing and intrigued on how in depth and calculating it was but I never EVER expected to actually play. My brother would always throw a "You should really play League" comment here and there but it was never really a pressing matter until recently to where if I didn't play it would be the guilt trip comments. Now don't get me wrong, I love League but Ill generally play bots or go to a smurf account to play people more my skill rang instead of 20+ levels annihilating me at every turn.

Well the problems started almost right away if I do one thing wrong or not as he planned me to do them a fit will start and let's just say it either ends in hurt feelings or me not going back to league for a long time to ensure feelings don't get hurt again over a GAME. But I digress that is not the issue, instead it is leading more towards the issue for that of our opponents and our fellow teammates...

My brother is a harasser...not in the gaming sense but a literal one. If our teammate secures a kill they are a kill stealer, if they go left instead of right they are a F***ing moron, if my brother is killed for whatever reason it is always someone another persons fault...etc. I hate that for me, my teammates and yes even our opponents but I generally do not play League (anxiety) without the comfort of having him on my team. So basically my question is this...

How do I get my stubborn, obnoxious brother to be more sportsman like rather than more of a burden on me and my team? I cannot just simply play the game without him because of my own psychiatric bs but I don't like having to deal with the stress of a lost game or the stress of knowing my teammates and opponents are offended by him...

Thank you for your time and responses, Also if you have any suggestions on how I can possibly get over my dependance on him and go into regular games (at this point I been using smurf accounts) than please let me know.

Sleep PK

02-26-2013

In life, I learned you will eventually mess up. Everyone does. To relate it to your brother yelling at people doing dumb things - besides miscommunication during planning - they are messing up and yet they still play? With randoms, there shouldn't be much anxiety - you don't see the teammates that get yelled at anxious, right? You shouldn't either. If it is easier, you should direct him to your forum post and if he is rational outside of a match, he should understand and would probably be able to change [not 100%, we're human and all].

Aliasear

02-26-2013

You have to personally let your brother know that it's hurting you and that you are reacting negatively to his overbearing personality when he plays league. Sportsmanship is something that is developed and practiced, you can't forced him to, he has to discipline himself to.

League of Legends is a game you should enjoy, and if you aren't enjoying it, then you are missing the purpose of the game.

As for your anxiety, there are many ways to get over it, but you have to be willing to make the effort to get over it. My ign is "Aliasear" and if you think you need some help to get over your anxiety, I'm more than willing to help.

I myself experience people with the same personality as your brother on a day to day basis in-game but I've learned how to deal with their behavior so it doesn't affect me. There are a lot of nice people in the League Community, don't forget that. (:

Feels Goood Man

02-26-2013

Unfortunately, there are jerks in all areas of league. Playing league is a risk for anyone like you who can't take some hurt feelings. Even though I'm a 23 year old guy, I still feel like crying after some games where people say some really mean things. The important thing is to mute those people right away by pressing tab and clicking the mute button next to their cs scores. Then report that person at the end of the game.

I can guarantee that you won't find these people in 90% of your games. It is ok to play without your brother. He seems to be one of these people so playing with him means that you have a high chance of feelings being hurt. You won't be a burden on your team. Keep playing on your main, don't play on your smurf. You won't get better by playing against weaker opponents. If you got to lvl 20 then you should know enough to learn what you're doing wrong and how to improve.

Good luck!