Remebering Build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BigWiIIieStyle

02-26-2013

Hey all,

I currently play several different champions regularly, and a handful of others every now and then. What I was wondering is how you keep track of your basic builds? I usually take a Mobafire build(or another site) and modify it to my play style and have them written down in a binder. Short of having 2 screens, how do you guys keep track of basic builds for your champions?

Sleep PK

02-26-2013

For the ADC's I play, they share a lot of items in common - just the purchase order differs... I think after a couple games, it should come naturally though I was told depending on your match ups - you should alter it (instead of a atk+ I may get boots if I think I am against a skill shot champion).

I admit, I had another monitor with a website open during my first week. I turned it off after practice. Invest in a white board and make a flow chart with different situations? I think I run through one mentally [and save space on my board, heh].

Neyak

02-26-2013

I don't.

There'll come a point probably sooner rather than later when you will have had enough experience with different types of champions that you have a pretty good idea of the items that are out there and you will look at the situation in the game (what the team needs, how well you're doing, the enemy team composition, ...) and decide based on that what you want. Yes, certain items will feature frequently but you won't have to go and look them up. You'll have a mental overview over your options and you'll be able what you think works best at the given time.

Until then, your binder method works, though don't get too attached to a single build for a particular champion. Vary your build depending on if the enemy team is AP of AD heavy, or if you're the one and only tank or one of three. Personally I never had a real system to keep track of builds and occasionally messed up as a result. So well done for being so organised.

Aliasear

02-26-2013

It all comes down to experience when memorizing builds (:

WickaWicka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2013

At first I used to keep them in a .txt file on my comp, but it gets to a point to where you figure out the main items and it gets easier to remember. Then it goes even further than that when you start just building against the enemy lane/team, rather than just one set build(The enemy across the lane from me has some serious ad? Next item will have armor in it!)

Jehosophat

02-26-2013

It's called memory and ability to learn. It's an amazing quality of a certain percentage of humans.

Jehosophat

02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehosophat View Post
It's called memory and ability to learn. It's an amazing quality of a certain percentage of humans.
Seriously, what's the difference between me saying this and a previous post saying it comes down to experience and ability to memorize? Apparently the downvoters are part of that population I go to school with who want their answers spoonfed to them and don't want to remember a damn thing regardless of how reality is.

If it makes you feel better, make a spreadsheet. Guess what, those precious seconds or tens of seconds you will spend accessing that spreadsheet in the middle of a game will cost. So go buy a second monitor. Congrats, you just spent $$$ on a free game (which admittedly I have supported with buying riot points).

In other words, it's called MEMORY. Learn the champ and your build through multiple games.

Jason411

02-26-2013

Play a champ a couple times with a guide to loosely follow on my second monitor. Then after that I usually remember what to do and build. Unless I haven't played them for awhile.

Like Sona. Hadn't supported for awhile so the last few times I played her I just went with a full AP build. Because why not?

SlamHannigan

02-26-2013

Play a few times in a row with the same champ, and you'll never forget. Really it just boils down to practice. Knowing what you do most often with a champ will help too. Is your champ based on low cooldowns and hit-and-run tactics using their abilities? Build AP. Does your champ get more powerful the more often they attack? Build ATS and movement speed. Does your champ get a lot of mileage out of mana? Invest in Tear of the Goddess or Sheen. A lot of champs share item builds in common -- just identify their strengths, then figure out what items will help them enhance those strengths the most.

Also, it helps mid-game to figure out what your weakness is and correct for it if it's becoming a problem. If I'm dying to a lot against an enemy Ryze, for instance, I'll build some MR defense.

Jobroskie

02-27-2013

I feel like there are different stages to learning how to build champs. Right now you are probably just starting and you are reading Moba guides on how to build champs specifically, but with little to no understanding of why and when to build items. Eventually after playing a bunch you will learn basic builds for roles and you will probably stick to and refine a basic build for all tanky jungles, bruisers, AP mids, ADCs, etc... Finally there will come a point where you will have a decently firm grasp over all the different champs in the game and you will be able to tailor your builds to that champ based on your strengths and weaknesses