How to go past the basics?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miketrocity

02-26-2013

I am writing to ask how I can improve my play once I understand the basics. I'm still a total noob, not very good with any champions and only have a few that I don't get raped on. I understand obviously the objectives of the game, the importance of last hitting, of playing defensively, not over extending, the difference between the five positions and what their basic role is, ect. All the real basic stuff.

On top of continuing to play games, which I understand is the most important thing to do, I am looking for perhaps some really good guides or videos to watch. I played starcraft 2 and I was able to easily find great tutorial videos on youtube on improving your meta and written guides but I am having trouble figuring out where to go for the same type of stuff for LoL.

When I search for newbie guides all I get is the real basic stuff that I already know, don't turret dive, last hit minions, the goal is to destroy the enemy nexus... that type of stuff. Where are the guides that can help take a beginner to average? Which I am way below right now.

Great Pyrenees

02-26-2013

Ok Lolpro.com will show you guides on champions.
Reignofgaming has 1000 articles (3 new per day) on the current game and how to improve.
Want to know a good build? Find a challenger who plays a champion you like then look them up on LOLking.

Personally I think you should find a champion for EVERY position who you can 'not loose' on. If you can 'not loose' then your team can carry you. You are still a valuable contributor on a team by being well positioned in team fights.

For example:
Top lane: Reneckton, AP warwick
Mid lane: Heimerdinger
Jungle: Warwick
Bottom ADC: Caitlyn
Bottom support: Zilean or Sona

You can REALLY play it safe on these champions in these positions. Runes and masteries make a HUGE difference on each character. Learn your personal sweet spot. Watch the LCS for America, Europe and most importantly Asia. If you watch good play you will learn to emulate good play.

Miketrocity

02-26-2013

Thanks man. So far my personal favorite for ADC is Ashe. I do pretty well with her in Dominion but not so well in Summoners Rift. I'll spend some time learning those champs you reccomend and check out the sites. In the mean time that's exactly what I try not to do, pick away at enemy health without dying. I've gotten better at not getting killed in lane but I still get ganked alot or if a team battle breaks out that we win I almost always tend to be the one on my team who dies.

Great Pyrenees

02-26-2013

That sounds like a matter of positioning. Ive played maybe 2000 games on Heimerdinger and I always try to have PERFECT positioning. Sometimes a well placed turret vs risk reward is a judgment call and on how you feel your team is. If you find yourself being the first one dying then its a matter of aggression and positioning. This game is about math. Learn what your Q plus Ignite can do with your full combo. Wait until they get over aggressive with just the right ammount of hps then combo perfect them. In team fights you WONT always get a good team with a good tank and a good initiation. in those cases just do your best. A good tank is a rare gem. When you see the big guy initiate dont leave him hanging go all in balls to the wall and you may rise to greatness ).

Miketrocity

02-26-2013

I see the word positioning thrown around ALOT, and understand that its important, but I really have no idea what it means to have good positioning or how to do it. Can someone explain?

Great Pyrenees

02-26-2013

Certainly. Each Champion has a Attack range that is VERY specific to them.
For example Teemo is 550 and Caitly is 650. So caitlyn can hit temmo all day every day.
However if Teemo gets blind and then POSITIONS himself inside his hit range he can peck at Caitlyn.

In teams The ADC and APC (Mage) want to be on the very outside of their attack range during a team fights. The Tank/initiator wants to be in front attacking the opposing ADC/APC.

Also some supports position themselves in front of their adc to protect and poke Taric/Sona. On the bottom lane you want to cheat to the bush side (Same on top lane just opposite) so greater chance to avoid jungler ganks (wards do this as well but you cant always get a good support). Mid lane will want to ward and cheat to a particular side (The middle is not safe).

This is a real simple explanation but I hope it helps a bit )

Godling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2013

WATCH STREAMS BABY!!!! Streams are the #1 technique to improve. Reading articles is good, but seeing actual pros in action is obv good!

LarcyBrown

02-26-2013

If you want a good a long read , here you go

www.realelohell.wordpress.com