Help with Jayce

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Greenlee19

02-27-2013

Hey guys, I just recently started playing Jayce top lane. I believe I'm gonna try to get really good with him, BUT atm I currently seem to be sucking pretty horribly. Idk what I'm doing wrong. I have looked up a few guides etc and watched some videos, but it still doesnt seem to be helping.

I find myself way to squishy and for alot of champs im up against, once they build any health my early game damage doesnt seem too make a dent. Can anyone give me any tips/advice on what to do with Jayce, especially if you are new to him?

IS1efce51bb8bca172b5508

02-28-2013

From what I've seen playing against Jayce it seems you have to make an emphasis on your early game damage (like levels 1-2) and try to kill or force out the enemy laner. Then you just have to stay ahead of the power curve. If you fall behind even slightly many champs can just walk all over you. For that reason Jayce is not an easy champ to play, and I'm pretty sure he's not very reliable either. When I try him I get stomped by his mana issues. In conclusion I think there are better picks available right now. Which is a shame because he's fun to play and has a kit with decent utility. Also I may be building him wrong, but rushing Bloodthirster or Cleaver doesn't seem like a good idea. Manamune can be ok but you have to poke a lot before fighting to make use of it, so full on engages are harder with it, and your opponents can back off when you feel like you can engage safely.

Cenerae

02-28-2013

You need to play Jayce like a ranged harrasser more than you play him like a melee bruiser. Abuse his cannon mode heavily, whittle your opponents down with constant Q+E spam, chip away with W when you can get the hits in, and avoid using hammer mode unless you're going for a kill. Also, use the movement speed from your E to chase for extra hits, or to kite someone chasing after you.

Simply keeping your hammer form spells ready for use means enemy melee champs won't be able to do much to you. They jump on you, you switch modes and knock them away, then walk off safely. If you use it for casual harrassment you no longer have any way to prevent them from comboing you back.

In team situations you do the same thing. You chip away with poke until your team engages, then jump on someone and try to get a kill. It's sort of like playing AP Nidalee except it's not suicide to go into the fray since you're tankier than she is. Well, assumming you have a regular build anyway. If you went full AD it would be a bad idea.