hud positioning

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tsukiko313

02-26-2013

so ... i'm still relatively new here. i recently began playing more pvp games, after using the bot game option to get a general feel for things. i don't know if i'm the only new person having this issue, but i figured i'd put the idea out there.

transitioning from bot games, in which your team is always on the blue side of the map, to pvp games where you could be on either side of the map, presents a few tactical challenges. the biggest problem i (and some of my regular teammates) have run into is that when you're on the purple side of the map in pvp the HUD info at the bottom of your screen gets in the way. i can't even count the number of times i've been attacked (and often killed) by an enemy who was "hiding" under my HUD.

in the options menu, there's a spot where you can switch the mini-map from the right side of the screen to the left, but is there an option that allows you to move your ability info from the bottom of the screen to the top? if not, i REALLY think there should be! a lot of people that i've talked to generally view ending up on the purple side of the map as an instant death sentence, and i think this may be a big factor in that conclusion.

i've been told that unlocking the camera would help alleviate this problem, but i find that it actually exacerbates it. i play mostly support champions, and therefore i use the team portraits on the side of the screen quite a bit to cast shields/heals/etc on teammates. but using those portraits when the camera is unlocked becomes almost impossible, as your camera shifts as soon as your mouse gets within range of the portraits. this has also lead to an inordinate number of deaths, both my own as well as my carry, since in order to click the portrait my view is also moved and in the seconds or fractions thereof which it takes to execute said casting we've often been attacked and killed. therefore my camera stays locked.

TrippinAshe

02-26-2013

I have seen this mentioned over and over and over again. There are a lot of new players coming into the game because of the popularity of the esports portion of the game. Locking the camera is the logical choice for someone just coming into the game, it takes a lot less to manage the camera and focus on the game. I use it and almost refuse to play anything but support in pvp for that reason. The sad thing is I would have rather they never had the feature in the game to start with so I wouldn't have gotten used to it that way. Now I feel eternally screwed. There has been a million suggestions about it but apparently it just isn't top priority. Half the people will just rage at you and tell you to "g3t m0ar skillz n00b" because they have this elitist thing against a feature they put in the game to serve the very purpose of controlling the camera. I wish they would just mirror the game if you are on purple so that both teams would appear to be on blue side.

TrippinAshe

02-26-2013

Some suggestions I've read or thought about:
1. Mirror game for purple
2. Allow us to customize items on hud and re-position
3. Simpler option to flip hud to opposite side
4. Allow us to change the anchor point of camera lock
4-Clarification: This would allow the user to no longer be centered in the screen lock. Doing this would let the user set the point at the very back of their character (negatively effecting your sight from behind, but you would still have use of the minimap).

tsukiko313

02-26-2013

thanks for replying trippinashe!!
after posting this i found the thread about camera angles, and posted a pretty lengthy list of suggestions there. i can understand why the mirroring option would probably cause more confusion than it would alleviate, but what about changing the parameters of the camera angle? for example, on the blue side the camera is in a position where your approxmiate pov is from the base to the river. why not make that standard for all players, therefore slightly altering the camera position when you're on the purple side, while not actually having to change the map around.
also, the the simplest solution which would probably shut up at least half of the complainers would be to have the option of switching the HUD from top to bottom like you can switch the minimap from one side to the other. according to the camera angle thread which has been going on for probably a year or more now, this suggestion has been constantly ignored and i can't for the life of me understand why.

Plato83