@Riot Forum Ban Appeal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryan Nesbitt

02-26-2013

I know people are probably sick and tired of hearing people whine about bans and their appeals and that most people probably deserve to be banned. To be honest, this is more than likely true. However, in this case, I am scratching my head wondering how I got here. Lets start from the top.

A few days ago I found myself sitting, wondering, how can I get a bunch of referrals? I knew of websites you can buy them from, not my thing. I know of professional streamers who ask their viewers to help, well I'm not professional and don't stream. So, after much contemplation, I decided to do a giveaway. It, in my head, was an ingenious plan. It was going to work. I raced to the forums giddy with excitement and posted away.

The rules were simple, in order to be in the drawing (which would be done live on Twitch.tv) you simply had to click my referral link and level your account to 5. After x amount of players had done so I was going to give away one of my GTX690 graphics cards from EVGA. Immediately my thread underwent harsh review. I was accused of being a scammer, I was called many names that need not be repeated. In my responses to these posts I saw the errors in my ways. I had posted my ingenious idea on the LoL forums. The goal of the recruit a friend was to bring in NEW players not farm referrals from old ones. I quickly posted an apology for this fact in my thread and stated that I simply would not be posting it on these forums anymore and would look elsewhere for new players. I have since done so, please see the links at the bottom of this post.

Here is where things get tricky. Moments later I was permanently banned on the forums with the explanation that I broke the summoners code. At this point my heart dropped. What had happened. I have never been banned before on any account on the forums or in game. How did I go from nothing to something accidentally? I figured a simple support ticket would solve the problem. Well, as it turns out, once a permanent ban is issued on the forums it is NEVER undone. To me this is reasonable (in most cases) seeing as it would probably be someones 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc time being banned before they are permanently banned. However, in my case, I feel the whole story wasn't seen and that whoever banned me simply tunnel visioned and saw something that was not there. Again, I did not use foul language in my thread, I even apologized on page three of my thread for my mistake and said that I understood why people were mad.

My question to Riot and to the community. Was what I did really provocation enough to warrant a permanent ban. I can understand a month or even a year if you see fit. But to me, a permanent ban is a permanent tarnish on my otherwise "perfect" account. I simply want the entire story to be heard and understood. I am deeply apologetic for my actions, I simply put the cart before the horse in this case and got far too ahead of myself when I thought I had an ingenious way to get referrals.

PS. The summoner name in question is n3wton. Thanks

LINKS:
http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthr...120#post259120
http://forums.g4tv.com/showthread.ph...52#post3092552
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/12...-played-should
http://www.gamersthrone.com/forum/s2...156#post222396

Supafly GLHF

02-26-2013

I remember your post. I always felt individuals that posted referral links should get some kind of ban though I am sorry to hear yours was permanent.

However reposting your story here probably does little. Sure people can either empathize with you or not, but overall it is not up to anyone here about the fate of your forum name.

Now onto your actual post. Offering some kind of fancy new GPU card on this forum and calling it legit is actually kind of suspect as there is no inbox system on these forums to get a personal address of the winners. To top it off, you never offered a GTX690 on the other forums you posted in your links.

In your 3rd link someone actually called you out on hiding your referral link within your post there. In your 4th link, others just spam trolled your link with ads of their own. Being as no one can really never know anyone on the internet, it is hard to determine if you are legitimately concerned about your forum account or hiding behind a mask to trick newcomers into going through your referral process. Or both.

The thing is I think anyone who is playing LoL knows about these forums and referrals. Referrals are supposed to be reserved for actual friends or people you know or meet in real life that would like to play this game. What makes your referral different from mine or anyone else's to litter these forums with? This is why people on these forums do not like it when someone does it. By spamming referrals on multiple websites lets say people do actually go through the process..... sounds good right? Actually, Riot may look into that discrepancy and then move on to perma-banning your actual LoL account for abuse of the referral system. So take care.

I am not judging you I am just looking at each factor objectively.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

02-26-2013

PCGamer forums seem to only have a rule prohibiting paid referral links, but their list of rules is very short and so it is probably not all-inclusive.

G4tv forums explicitly forbid "Advertisements for a commercial site or product. (This also includes those referral link schemes that promise you free stuff and Kickstarters.)"

Tomshardware forums do not seem to prohibit posts of this kind in their rules, and I couldn't find Gamersthrone's FAQ because the site seems to be down. But fact is, most forums do not allow people to post referral links. Hiding the referral part of the link makes it even more deceptive and unwanted. And posting such a message across a large number of forums seems to be against the Referral program's rules as well. What you're asking for is leniency based on the fact that you didn't know you were doing anything wrong, but that's an awful lot to get wrong.

Ryan Nesbitt

02-26-2013

This is very true and are seriously solid points. Points I have never thought about. I understand about getting banned for my actions, however, a permanent ban on my first offense ever seemed harsh to me. What also concerns me is I was not banned for referral abuse or anything like that. I got banned for breaking the summoners code, which confuses me. In fact, many people in my original thread broke the summoners code by accusing me of being a scammer and flaming me. I am not here to point fingers however. I am simply here to ask that my ban be overturned from permanent to something less, well permanent.

Ryan Nesbitt

02-26-2013

I concur, as you guys are pointing out I have seriously messed up here. I was looking at people like Athene who have almost 5000 referrals and thought, how can I do this. Unfortunately, Athene is also breaking the rules according to this.

Anyhow, from what you guys have said, I honestly DO deserve a ban, however I still argue that a permanent ban was unwarranted for a first time offender. Despite the fact that I royally screwed the pooch on this one

Supafly GLHF

02-26-2013

If it helps. I am somewhat in agreement with you as I believe you probably "didn't know" how the forums here perceived your actions. Many that would post referrals such as yours have done so under more devious methods. As in, if you were going to be more misleading, you probably would not have used your actual summoner name in-game if you believed you were doing something worthy of a perma-ban. You just suffered the consequences that many get from these actions.

If it were up to me, I'd probably temp ban you and monitor your posts for a while but I am not a forum mod nor do I want to be.

Ryan Nesbitt

02-26-2013

You may not be the one who decides things but your post means a lot to me. I have already attempted to appeal via the support ticket and I simply got a response that stated once permanently banned, always permanently banned. And, well honestly, that doesn't sound right to me. But hey, I honestly just wanted people to know that I truly meant no harm in what I did and that I am sorry for how it was perceived and well for doing it in the first place.