Physical Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shillen

12-03-2009

Well it kinda slipped through the radar but now everyone is playing Katarina as a physical champ. I was resistant to change but after trying it a week or two ago it's just clearly superior in every way to an AP build. Add in the new crappy mejai's and the physical build just dominates the AP build handily.

So in riot's quest to make both builds viable they just turned the tables instead. Is it still a goal to make AP and physical builds equal? Because, if so, more work needs to be done. When Katarina goes AP she sacrifices a lot; creep killing ability, tower killing ability, wasting gold on mana components. If she's going to sacrifice those things she should at least do more burst damage than physical katarina does.

I think the biggest issue is that the AP scaling on shunpo is way too low and the base damage is too high. Also, when they nerfed the cooldown on shunpo by 20% they should have increased the AP scaling by 20% so her damage wouldn't be affected.

With the nerfed mejai's there just aren't enough AP items that don't have mana on them for her to buy. They should either add more non-mana AP items or they should make it so she converts any mana items into AP at maybe a 1 to 40 ratio.

I just enjoyed her AP build more because it made her kind of a niche character. Blink in, blink out. The burst damage was just fun.

On a good note the new cleanse is great for her. Before, against a team with silences and stuns you had little hope of making effective use of your ultimate. Now you can ult, wait a second, then hit cleanse and you'll probably eat all their stuns/silences and your ult won't be interrupted. Of course with the *****ing it seems cleanse is on a fast track to being nerfed.

Shillen

12-04-2009

No comments? Do people think she's perfect where she is or do you think her AP build needs a little more oomph?

FABIOForever

12-04-2009

Personally I think her AP build is a total waste of time. Physical attack boosts her creeping towering AND ultimate.

Chairs

12-04-2009

Really, wanting to play AP Katarina is like wanting to play +damage Zilean. No matter how much you want it, it's just not going to work.

As intended (see what I did thar).

Shillen

12-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairs View Post
Really, wanting to play AP Katarina is like wanting to play +damage Zilean. No matter how much you want it, it's just not going to work.

As intended (see what I did thar).
Uhm, for the longest time AP katarina was vastly superior to physical katarina.

brid

ETL Engineer

12-08-2009

I'm with you Shillen. I miss AP Kat-- playing her as physical just seems wrong now so I don't play her anymore.