Red Pot start on Top laners

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dragonbeast1122

02-25-2013

I have seen many player's streams (Voyboy, Wings of Death ect.) where they start a Red Pot and a ward and hp pots. What I want to know is how that benefits in lane, like how is that better then getting early boots or armor? Also when do they pop it and who is it best on?

Thanks,
Dragon

Synocrades

02-25-2013

By any chance, do you mean a "Crystalline Flask"? Not exactly sure what other Red pots there are in the game other than the health pots.

There greatest thing about the Crystalline Flask (if this is indeed what you are referring to) is that it acts as a combination of 3 Mana and 3 Health Pots. An extra added incentive as to why you should start with the Flask? You start with 3 charges, or 3 pots. These charges refresh every time (Yes, every single time) you re-call or head back to base. Note that you actually have to fully re-call to base for the passive to trigger. For whatever crazy reason, I've actually seen people press their re-call button only to break it a few seconds later, only to complain that their Flask hasn't charged. Yes, it is weird. Anyways, each charge heals for 120 health while also restoring 60 mana over 12 seconds. A standard health pot heals for 150 health over 15 seconds, while a mana pot restores 100 mana over 15 seconds.

Let me quickly run some numbers to further drive home my point;

Standard Health Pot: 150 health over 15 seconds = 10 health/second
Standard Mana Pot: 100 mana over 15 seconds = 6.7 mana/second

Crystalline Flask Health: 120 Health over 10 seconds = 12 health/second
Crystalline Flask Mana: 60 mana over 10 seconds = 6 mana/second

Here you see that while the Mana regen isn't as strong as simply buying Standard Mana pots, the Health regain is actually greater when compared second for second, although the total health regain actually is greater when purchasing a standard Health pot. Let's say you decide to purchase one of both a Health and a Mana pot. That would be a total of 70 gold as each potion cost 35 gold. However, you're more likely to start with 3 Health Pots and 1 Mana Pot (although you may not even choose to start with a Mana Pot). That would be a total cost of 105 gold if you take 3 health pots, or 140 if you take 4 or a combination of the two. A Crystalline Flask costs 345 gold while also offering the ability to be recharged when you re-call back to base.

Yes, I know I've typed out a lot, but this can all be boiled down to the biggest advantage that a Crystalline Flask offers: Incredible sustain in your lane. If you take 3 health pots, you've burned 105 gold once you finish using up all your pots. With a Crystalline Flask, you can burn up all your pots, go back to base, and then have about 105 gold worth in pots without having to pay anything.

To summarize; Purchasing a Crystalline Flask to begin with simply offers more sustain in your lane. which many people tend to under-appreciate. The longer you can stay in your lane, the longer you can farm and attempt to control the lane. This is NEVER a bad thing as farm + control in your lane is a great advantage both for you as an individual player and for the team.

Hope this helped.

ThatONeillGuy

02-25-2013

Red pot = Elixir of Fortitude, I'm pretty sure. SpamHappy does that on Poppy a lot. He baits his opponent by taking free damage, then pops the red pot and kills them, for early FB.

Im S0fa King

Senior Recruiter

02-25-2013

^This. It's also an effective counter to ignite, because it grants HP, and doesn't count as healing, so its effect is not reduced by ignite.

Interesting that two people thought of crystalline flask upon seeing red pot though.

Im S0fa King

Senior Recruiter

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synocrades View Post
Crystalline Flask Health: 120 Health over 10 seconds = 12 health/second
Actually, you were right the first time; it's 120 health over 12 seconds, not 120 health over 10 seconds. It heals at the same rate as a health pot.

xRemnant

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im S0fa King View Post
Interesting that two people thought of crystalline flask upon seeing red pot though.
Crystalline is a red flask. I honestly first though fortitude but doubted it would be that; Seemed too expensive. 15 att dmg early game is a lot but if your against 2 top laners might not be as effective. Although if he/she is watching lv 30 matches its mostly 1 vs 1. Would not recommend it pre lv 30 unless you sure you going to get match 1 vs 1 or you confident you can survive the 3 minute it last. Is definitely a huge advantage to trick enemy by instant healing and dealing increase damage.

Fortitude cost 250 coin + 75 coin ward + 35 coin hp pot = 360 coin.

Crystalline cost 345 coin + 75 coin ward + 35 coin hp pot = 455 coin.

Since OP said Hp pots in plural then the only possible choice is the Fortitude since it would allow for more than one HP pot unless the person is using greed mastery which I highly doubt.

HenryKrinkle

02-25-2013

If you know that you won't have to run away from your opponent very often, you don't have to take boots. Maybe for example they're not ranged, or you have bigger range.

Ward because early on a jungler might be heading your way. I always buy a ward every trip back to shop.

Im S0fa King

Senior Recruiter

02-25-2013

You don't lose the effect of Red pot or Blue pot on death. They last 3 minutes regardless of death. As for the use, look back up at Oneill's post, pretty much sums it up. That and countering ignite.

(Yes, crystalline is red. But I doubt anyone in the game has ever called a crystalline flask a red pot. Whereas red pot is the common name for elixir of fortitude.)

xRemnant

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im S0fa King View Post
You don't lose the effect of Red pot or Blue pot on death. They last 3 minutes regardless of death. As for the use, look back up at Oneill's post, pretty much sums it up. That and countering ignite.

(Yes, crystalline is red. But I doubt anyone in the game has ever called a crystalline flask a red pot. Whereas red pot is the common name for elixir of fortitude.)
Is good to know you don't lose the effect. I could use that on Mid lane. I'll give it a try.

Aliasear

02-26-2013

COMPLETE EXPLANATION OF ELIXIR OPENING BUILD

When someone starts off Elixir + 1 Ward + 4 HPots, they are looking for an oppurtunity to All-in when they gain an advantage. For example: Lvl 2 All-in when the opponent is still level one.

The ability to instantly gain 15 AD and ~130 HP at any given time is a very powerful mechanic offensively and defensively.

The power of this "All-in" build is more visible in mid-lane than top-lane because AP Carries are very squishy early game.