Coping with Trolls - A Guide to Having More Fun.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adm Jackbar

04-23-2013

I'm sure you've all had games where someone was just blatantly agressive, deliberately trying to get you killed, following you around the map and copying your actions etc. Trolls are an un-avoidable part of our lives in League. Much like other forms of trolling, there are ways you can handle, minimise or avoid altogether, the effects of these trolls and frustration they cause.

I'm going to run you through the game I just had, as the inspiration to write this thread and a fairly extreme version of what can be expected.

I joined a queue, called adc and was banning in normal draft. Immediately after I called adc the other members said they were a premade and if I didn't support they'd "Troll the **** out of [me], ****." I told them I would play Adc as I called it and that I play for fun, they told me to good luck having fun when they all troll and proceeded to pick adc's after me. A player on the other team dodged that queue and I was put back into queue with them again straight afterwards, this time they called adc first and I was third pick, so I told them "After that little stunt you think I'm going to play nice? No, I'll adc" making sure not to abuse them or adress any of them individually.
They all started calling me a ******, ****, dyslexic, autistic spastic and other abusive words until the game started, I played ez and I muted them all, explaining the above (in not so many words) to the enemy team.

I played passively, farming when I could with duo adc bot. Tristana was aggressively trying to cs so I couldn't and took lots of poke damage so she had to recall. Eventually, after her third recall she abandoned bot and went top with Nidalee, leaving me solo bot lane. I played safe, farming under turret and picking up a 1 for 1 on their three man tower dive, losing turret pretty much straight after that. I pushed back lane, helped mid and got ganked in the jungle on the way back to bot, when Ahri helped me by taunting Zac before he killed me, I unmuted him/her and continued playing. Eventually it was a fight for mid, I picked up 8 kills overall, admittedly I did ks 2 of them with ult (not entirely intentional). My final score was 8/2/5 when the team won a teamfight and we 4/1 surrendered - I found out post game because Nidalee had to go to work, not because we were losing.

Unmuting them all for post game, all I got was more abuse, blaming me, accusing me of trying to kill steal every kill and not getting any kills on my own merit - even the ahri who was reasonable during the game told me that he hoped I get ass raped, aids and die. They were all remuted.

FOR THE LAZY PEOPLE - TL;DR
4 man team queue with me, they're all abusive. I mute and play game, do very well considering, unmute post game and get more abuse. They ******s.

LOLKING STATS FOR THE GAME - CLICK HERE

Here is the lolking stats for the game. No intention of naming and shaming, they're probably average people just having a ****ty day and needed to let off some steam. There is a lot of catharsis in aggression on the internet.

__________________________________________________ _______________

HOW TO HANDLE TROLLS - A Step by Step guide.

1 - Ignore them. Hold tab, go to the end of their score, past the creep score and click the little minus button. I know it sounds stupid, but if you can't hear what they're saying it won't affect your gameplay and you can focus on the more important aspects of dealing with them. This is the most important part.

2 - Don't take it personally. They don't know you, they can't, so anything they say and do is targeted against your virtual identity. If they try to verbally abuse you as a person, or say anything about you, ignoring it works best, but noone would advise not standing up for yourself. Tell them that it's very rude when they do so. NEVER address a troll directly, by name or as a "you". This just breeds their behavior. It's best to adress the behavior not the person

3 - Focus on the game and try your hardest. Yes, it can be difficult if you have someone trying their hardest to steal your cs or Anivia wall you into turrets, but if you really focus and expect that behavior you can out perform them, they'll put so much effort into frustrating you that they'll put themselves behind. It's hard for the tribunal to believe that a 5/5/20 player was intentionally feeding or trolling you.

4 - Try to win their favor by helping them out even though they would not do the same for you. This does not mean sacrificing your life to save them though, that only gives them more ammunition to attack you with. Things like giving blue buff to mid lane, warding side bushes on other peoples lanes, shielding/healing/speed buff/slowing during chase to help them get away. Generally be a good team player.

5 - Be polite and calm when dealing with them after the game. That's when they report if they're going to, but more often than not if you're a good team player, not reactive or aggressive towards your team and tried your best, they will get "trolls remorse" and decide not to report.

6 - Have fun. It's a game, treat it as a challenge and don't let it get to you. They're trying to blow off steam too, just in a destructive and harmful way. If they make you mad and you start raging, they win. If you try to have fun anyway you'll enjoy the game all the more.

Also, for those who care, at the end of that game I got one Teamwork honor (I expect from Ahri who didn't seem to be hell bent on ruining my game at the cost of his) and 3/5 Honorable opponents. My other teammates said they reported me. I guess we'll find out if I get banned in the future.

Adm Jackbar

04-23-2013

Actually surprised there's no discussion on this, also self serving bump.

NomadTolis

04-23-2013

Just had the following occur in my promo series. I duo'd, playing mid with my friend as ADC.

The Nunu support opens champ select by saying, "Oh man. I threw so hard last game, I hope I don't throw this game".

Game begins.

Nunu buys no wards, and proceeds to lane and push lane, suicides twice. I ask him to kindly pick up a pink ward, as I'm stomping mid and can pick up kills for them bot lane if he clears a ward. He buys one pink ward (the only ward he bought all game), and places it in the middle of bot lane. He then proceeds to use his ult to clear a minion wave, and then run through the ward I asked him to clear into the enemy jungle for another suicide. He uses his ult 5 times during the game. Every time it is on a minion wave. Builds pure AP.

Between my friend and I, we had probably one of our best games ever, and manage to make it last 45 minutes. During this time, our top lane singed does not leave lane a single time. He stays, farming (not pushing) on his tower until it is destroyed, then falls back and does the same at tier 2 tower, and finally inhib tower. He does not come to fight enemy team even while they take our nexus. The one time he was near the enemy team (when they forced one of his towers), he charges at enemy Garen and Lux who are side by side, Garen begins to spin towards us, and Singed throws garen onto me.

Our jungler KhaZix, plays normal for about half the game, but proceeds to suicide and spam surrender after 20 minute mark.

The entire time we actually had a fair chance to win. I was 10/2 and my friend was 7/2 until very late game. We almost pulled off a 2v5 that would have given us a chance to win.

This is the first time I have been independently trolled by 3 out of 3 people in ranked solo queue.

I did have fun tho. Picking up a 4 for 1 under the enemy tower around level 8, and making two of my best plays I've ever made to try to carry. Just not enough. Trolls OP.

Adm Jackbar

04-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadTolis View Post
Just had the following occur in my promo series. I duo'd, playing mid with my friend as ADC.

-Stuff-

Trolls OP.
I'd apply the leadership argument to this game, but yeah, there are people out there hell bent on ruining your game for their own enjoyment. Sad fact of life.

NomadTolis

04-23-2013

This was not a game that could have been lead. At least two of them were intentionally throwing the match in order to get a rise out of other players. The third was not responding to multiple polite attempts to have him join in the defense of our base. Attempting to lead them further would have been food for the trolls.

To clarify, the point of my post was that even when you are trolled in the worst of scenarios (this was the worst I've seen in my 800 or so games played), if you focus on what you are doing, improving your own play and skill, and enjoying the aspects of the game you CAN control, then you can have some fun even if it means losing a promo series. I fully intend to carry myself back to another promo series, where I know I have a 56% chance of having at least one such troll on the enemy team Probability OP.

ArcTimes

04-24-2013

So, someone on the other team dodged and you didn't leave the queue?
I mean, probably you want so send a message or something, but it was really easy just to dodge that game.
EDIT: lol, why the thumbs down? really, the best way to ignore them is dodging if you have the possibility. It's not about dodging a game because you think they are bad, they are probably really good, but if they are trolling, is better to not play that game.