Look, on this whole "first pick vs. first call" thing...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lemonlimeguy

02-25-2013

The whole thing is just a giant false dichotomy. Who plays what role shouldn't be determined by who's "first" at anything. It should be about communicating with your teammates to fill every role as best as possible.

I play mid and ADC both pretty well. I'm OK at the other roles, but I'd rather not do them because I feel like I'm holding my team back. It's not that I haven't *tried* to learn them. I have. Top, jungle, and support are just much less intuitive for me, so I'm not very good at them. I make sure to give this information to my team so they know that it would probably be for the best if I played mid or ADC. I have runes and masteries for the other roles, so I could play them in a pinch, but for me, "pick order" and "calling" never even enter into the equation. It just seems like a stupid playground tactic that people use to justify their entitlement issues. Seriously, guys. Grow up.

PiercedChaos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

I agree 100%. Most of the time, people that call mid after someone has already picked a mid, feed anyway. In ranked I think people should communicate about what roles they are best at and what roles they're bad at not just calling "mid" because they feel like playing a mid this game. You want to play a role you don't play often then go play normals.

tempname950

02-25-2013

In an ideal world? Yes.

In an ideal world, nobody would ever bully someone else for being different.
In an ideal world, there would be no world hunger.
In an ideal world, feminism wouldn't exist.
In an ideal world, there would be no debt.

Those things all exist. This isn't an ideal world. Work with what you got, not what you wish you had.

Rabbi Lucifer

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempname950 View Post
In an ideal world? Yes.

Those things all exist. This isn't an ideal world. Work with what you got, not what you wish you had.
in an ideal world you would not have made this post
boom roasted

Firrox

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Lucifer View Post
boom roasted
Micheal Scott is gone. BOOM roasted!

Xanthalis

02-25-2013

You're right, by all means, and I think every reasonable rational person would agree with you.

The problem is that we are playing in a free, online game. Even pay to play games have no way to keep out unreasonable @$$hats. The issue isn't that on a game to game basis the people that are first pick want to hold it over the rest of the team's heads The issue is when someone just will not, for no reason whatsoever, work with the team. In those cases, it'd be nice to be able to fall back onto a default rule, at the very least to be able to report for trolling or what have you.

Akintunde

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Lucifer View Post
boom roasted
Fail troll is fail.

But in all seriousness, I try to go with pick order, it's the most random and I think it's better than "I CALLED MID FIRST."

Upon entering a game I'll say "mid or support, please". if I don't get it, oh well.

lemonlimeguy

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempname950 View Post
In an ideal world? Yes.

I really don't see how this applies. Just because this isn't an ideal world doesn't mean we should all act like children. Cooperation is clearly a good thing for the team. Teams that cooperate win more than teams that don't. It's that simple. By buying into this "pick vs. call" ****, you're just perpetuating a system that leads to crappy behavior.

Yeah, there are trolls. Yeah, there are going to be games where you have four ******bags on your team. But this doesn't happen every game, and you can keep it from happening by trying to work with your teammates. Remember: in this game, the people you think you're being trolled by probably think you're trolling them, too.

lemonlimeguy

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthalis View Post
You're right, by all means, and I think every reasonable rational person would agree with you.

The problem is that we are playing in a free, online game. Even pay to play games have no way to keep out unreasonable @$$hats. The issue isn't that on a game to game basis the people that are first pick want to hold it over the rest of the team's heads The issue is when someone just will not, for no reason whatsoever, work with the team. In those cases, it'd be nice to be able to fall back onto a default rule, at the very least to be able to report for trolling or what have you.
Honestly, if you get someone on their team that says something like "MID OR I FEED," just suck it up and let them have mid. If mid's the only role you can play, let them know. If they still don't let you have it, just bite the bullet play something else. You're clearly not at fault. You might have a bad game, but you're not going to be banned for being bad.

lmaonade200

02-25-2013

most games I pick support as first pick because I know no one wants it and it's one of my most played roles, but when push comes to shove and 2+ people want the same role, it's pick order > calling