Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GotPinks

02-25-2013

Quote:
Auryiel:

I always respect pick order, meaning I don't always get to play what I really want to play. But if I'm 1st pick, I expect to be able to pick whatever the f*ck I want to pick. And then 4th pick goes ''Called it first'' ''Mid or I feed'' etc etc etc

This is what I fear that if Riot takes a stance. People in LoL are of a semi casual/hardcore audience. Enforcing it would hurt the game imo. Not all roles are enjoyable or empowering for many players. This is why people avoid support like its the plague. If pick order was enforced people would complain more about the meta because it denies the opportunity to have fun.
The fact that the current meta or even the infrastructure of the game doesn't allow players do play what they want and be impactful is a design flaw that Riot probably notices. The lack of viability in roles hurts the game. If they were forced to enforce pick order vs calls they would be enforcing the meta. This actually hurts the game

Fathomful

02-25-2013

I still like the popular thread about champion loyalty. Wouldnt enforce anything but would give you more knowledge.

Seeing that i have 100+ gamesplayed = bronze, 200+ games played = silver, 300+ games played = gold.

At least that would lend some credibility when i say i main support its my best role. They simply look and say well indeed, he does have over 75% of his games played with support champs.

I always am up front. Hey i can play support at gold, i play mid at silver, and everything else is bronze, now where do you want me to fill in?

jimlaheysadrunk

02-25-2013

solo queue is a nightmare for anyone in lower silver divisions and im sure all bronze divisions. a typical game for me (silver V) starts with someone calling TOP or MID. this typically leads to another person saying "no, im top, i have an earlier pick". then all hell breaks lose. In my mind, the person with the earlier pick has the right to play whatever position he wants. The problem is that nobody will ever just accept the fact that they are last pick and are most likely going to get stuck playing support. So, to fix this they just choose whatever role was already taken and say something like " tough ****" or " dont care im on a roll" or " im a tiny little twerp and i get picked on in school all day". actually they never say that last one.

but seriously, solo queue is maddening for lower ranked players. I will be stuck at the bottom of silver V for eternity because of trolls, AFKers, children, wanna be E-Thugs. The only games i win typically are the ones where I am able to play a roll i can carry as, like jungle or mid, but this is rare because i usually have to play whatever fill position the children and whiners dont want to play..

Lulu anyone?

Snes C

02-25-2013

I've seen people use picking order to basically screw over their teammates, saying "I'm playing what I want and you can't stop me." No Rioter has said that picking order doesn't matter just that the ultimate focus should be on communication and cooperation.

Niqhtmare x

02-25-2013

riot has already stated their stance

they want to encourage people to teamwork and cooperate in champion select, which involves everyone getting their best role
they dont want everyone to be close minded and selfish and stick rigidly to pick order, when it can hurt your chance to win

sure, pick order is greater than call order, but the idea situation does not involve having to stick to this

Bullettime7

02-25-2013

Quote:
jimlaheysadrunk:
solo queue is a nightmare for anyone in lower silver divisions and im sure all bronze divisions. a typical game for me (silver V) starts with someone calling TOP or MID. this typically leads to another person saying "no, im top, i have an earlier pick". then all hell breaks lose. In my mind, the person with the earlier pick has the right to play whatever position he wants. The problem is that nobody will ever just accept the fact that they are last pick and are most likely going to get stuck playing support. So, to fix this they just choose whatever role was already taken and say something like " tough ****" or " dont care im on a roll" or " im a tiny little twerp and i get picked on in school all day". actually they never say that last one.

but seriously, solo queue is maddening for lower ranked players. I will be stuck at the bottom of silver V for eternity because of trolls, AFKers, children, wanna be E-Thugs. The only games i win typically are the ones where I am able to play a roll i can carry as, like jungle or mid, but this is rare because i usually have to play whatever fill position the children and whiners dont want to play..

Lulu anyone?

Feel you there. I win any game I don't have trolls and can carry the team hard. Unfortunately, 3/5 game have people bickering in champ select and troll picking then AFKing because they were last pick and didn't get to top.

-I put my copy paste of "Greetings, I'm most proficient in the top lane but I'm flexible based on pick order."
-Realize hey I'm actually second pick. Awesome.
-Enemy insta locks Garen as first pick.
-I take Kennen top since I have pick order and know I can beat a Garen

All of a sudden last pick, who disconnected when loading champ select, then comes back and calls top after I picked, sees my Kennen pick, then goes on a damn rampage threatening to troll pick, wishes cancer on me, then insta locks a top anyways and intentionally feeds or AFKs. And because there's no pre game chat log in the Tribunal, he'll get pardoned if he gets to the Tribunal because he was smart and didn't say anything all game, despite griefing us and throwing the game for us, because there's nothing in the game chat log or evidence.

2pudge1cup

02-25-2013

Quote:
Niqhtmare x:
riot has already stated their stance

they want to encourage people to teamwork and cooperate in champion select, which involves everyone getting their best role
they dont want everyone to be close minded and selfish and stick rigidly to pick order, when it can hurt your chance to win

sure, pick order is greater than call order, but the idea situation does not involve having to stick to this

the problem is that stance doesn't work.

in a perfect world, maybe everyone is willing to talk things out and compromise.

But with this game and the tools at our disposal it doesn't work that way. "The squeaky wheel gets the most grease." The person who is a nice guy has to give up their preferred spot and the one who is loud and obnoxious gets their preferred spot. This leads to otherwise reasonable players becoming unreasonable in future queues because they see the loud dbag get their way.

FLÎP

02-25-2013

No the problem is the general population in LoL only play top or mid. If scrubs would l2 play all lanes then it wouldn't really matter. But people call mid and top because they think that they will carry. But in reality 80% of ppl who scream top and mid get ****ted on.

tempname950

02-25-2013

So what do I, the lowly bronze player, do in order to carry myself out of Bronze? Playing support every single game doesn't cut it. What can I do in order to get a role I know I can carry with? Talking to my team doesn't work in bronze. People don't care about anyone else but themselves. They just want to play what THEY think they can carry themselves out of bronze with.

Did that happen

02-25-2013

Quote:
Buderfingers:
But, it doesnt matter...
And Im not saying that calling matters any more than order does, because it definitely does not. What Riot say is that you should not go into a game with a role in mind, You should talk with your team about who feels most comfortable where, and most likely a compromise will have to be made. Neither pick order nor calling are regarded as law according to Riot. Being a good teammate is, though. And yes, someone picking a champ against your teams wishes is reportable.

point is people go into games with I am only going to play ad carry and nothing but graves for the next 100 games in mind. Imo its not realy fair that this guy gets to go on his ad carry playing spree when I just played 5 games of support in a row. Its the nice people that get **** on in this game and the ass holes get to do whatever they want.