These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hashinshin

02-25-2013

Whether or not you believe its right you are doing harm to the playerbase saying pick order doesn't matter.

Before we had a general understanding that if you ignored pick order you could be reporeted and banned. Generally people would just accept it and move on.

Now it's incredibly common to see people saying "NO RIOT SAYS PICK ORDER DOESN'T MATTER!" and trolling if they don't get what they want. REGARDLESS of if you think it's RIGHT for people at the highest pick to get whatever they want it keeps a natural order amongst the community. You're just saying "rules are out" and not expecting people to go hog wild over it.

Edit 1: All the responses saying "well I had success giving up mid to fourth pick because I knew he'd be a better mid than a support" shows the entire point. That's on you. YOU break the chain of command to allow the lower picks to have what they want. Because you have the power. You must assume that first pick has a monopoly on picks and that he may do whatever the hell he wants with them. Once you get past that you are then allowed to, as first pick or second pick or whatever pick, give up your rights for a lower pick. But to say from the get go "well third pick should be allowed to call a lane and you should have to give it to them" is WRONG. Riot should be asserting here that it is a CHOICE to give up control. Not a right, not a privilege of the LOWERS picks, but the right and the privilege of the HIGHER pick to give up their control.

That is what should be emphasized. If I'm third pick and I say "I suck at everything but mid" then it's on to my higher pick overlords to decide whether or not I get that position. I do not default in to it because "herp derp I said I suck at support so I'll just have to support annie!" I get it only because the tyrants that reign over the higher picks allow it. The entire pick order is an elaborate hazing process as is, and that's what makes it work. Some games I get to be high rank and with my golden scepter I get to decide the fate of the lower picks, and some games I'm lower pick and my fate is decided apon. That's order whether you like it or not.

I'll probably write more about this next week on my reign of gaming blog, but I think I have the gist right there. Ranked draft is a hazing process where we take turns hazing each other, and that fragile social construct is all that keeps us from complete anarchy.

And to every red saying "I went up three sizes three sizes that day with my niceness!" I got Diamond 1 by being a complete emotionless *******. So no, being nice does not work for everyone. In fact despite popular belief many people don't need hugs, they need a good kick in the ass.

VanceStubbs

02-25-2013

What riot posts?

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

I can't stand the "don't be a jerk" stance.

It favors jerks way too much in the short term because the person who is a jerk about their spot will get it. They might be banned long term, but by that time they've already been a jerk in lord knows how many games to get their spot.

Oaf want poon

02-25-2013

Welcome to Bronze league, where the picks don't matter and chaos reigns supreme.

Buderfingers

02-25-2013

But, it doesnt matter...
And Im not saying that calling matters any more than order does, because it definitely does not. What Riot say is that you should not go into a game with a role in mind, You should talk with your team about who feels most comfortable where, and most likely a compromise will have to be made. Neither pick order nor calling are regarded as law according to Riot. Being a good teammate is, though. And yes, someone picking a champ against your teams wishes is reportable.

Adieu

02-25-2013

Is compromise toxic or something?

hashinshin

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
What compromise?

Player 1: I want top and I'm first pick.
Player 2: ALL I CAN PLAY IS TOP IF I DON'T GET TOP WE LOSE GG CAN'T SUPPORT.
Player 1: Oh I guess I have to compromise away what I want to do.

ALtheeGreat

02-25-2013

RIOT we need an answer please. Give us real rules!

Borigrad

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
Yeah cause compromise is possible with the last pick that is "MID OR FEED", "TOP OR AFK"

Sajjin

02-25-2013

We need more tools in place to help with picks for solo queue.

Can we please get self imposed tags like a preset way to indicate prefered roles?

Can we get the ability to indicate a potential champion pick during draft when you are not the current person drafting?

Seriously.....