Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Seriously guys, let's get reasonable...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ashxu

02-25-2013

Quote:
Barbacoa:
[*]Who knows, maybe embracing a role you've been less inclined to play will open you up to new understandings of the game and make you a better player overall.[/LIST]

I've been forced to play Support so many times that Support is actually my best role now...

lol I died again

02-25-2013

Quote:
ashxu:
I've been forced to play Support so many times that Support is actually my best role now...

How did they force you?

Madman Reborn

02-25-2013

Quote:
Barbacoa:
  • Learn all 5 roles or don't play ranked. "I can't support" = "I can't ranked."
  • "Calling" is just asking. First pick first serve, and no, just because you pick at the same time as the guy above you doesn't mean you have the same pick priority.
  • Sometimes we don't get to play the role we want. Maybe I prefer mid and top, and would play one of those two lanes every game if I could. But when I'm last pick and the only spot left is support, I don't lock in Teemo with smite/revive in hopes that someone will dodge for me.
  • It's time for this community to become mature, decent human beings while in game and understand that you can't have everything you want all the time. Take one for the team, play the role that's needed when your pick comes around, maybe you'll get an earlier pick next time.
  • Who knows, maybe embracing a role you've been less inclined to play will open you up to new understandings of the game and make you a better player overall.

You do realize that best teams in the world have dedicated players for dedicated roles right? How 'bout you ask what the best roles in your team are before deciding what YOU want to play just because you're first pick?

Kristari Zuboro

02-25-2013

I filled roles based on what other people wanted to play, and now I'm bronze. I now call and play the roles I want to play, and I'm 13-2 in the last sets of games earning 8 LP.

Good advice!

Uiraya

02-25-2013

How, in the ten seconds of pregame lobby before a solo queue, are we supposed to determine who is most entitled to a role?

Players can ask, certainly, but if two people want mid and one is higher, the only possible outcome that makes any sense is for the higher pick to get it. There is no way of knowing which of them is an A mid and a B everything else, and which is an A mid and an F everything else. (And if they tell you, who's to say they aren't lying?) Sort order by elo/mmr or whatever is the only possible system for determining ties. If you don't get mid one game, you might get it the next. Suck it up, this is a team game.

Anything else will require a considerable change to matchmaking. Something like, you use your profile to pick two or three roles you prefer (I would pick mid, jungle, and support, for instance) and matchmaking makes sure to put together five people who can make a team out of roles they like. Of course people who are willing to support get the fast track but "I can't support" is shorthand for "I'm a God awful KD obsessed scrub who is going to anchor you regardless" so **** 'em. It will probably increase queue times even more but it will cut out a lot of this BS.

edit: Expanding on the roles, there should probably be six: top, mid, jungle, adc, support, and kill lane. Kill lane is for double bruiser bot and mm will try to get at least two kill laners together.
~Uiru

ShoopuS

02-25-2013

Actually, you can get away with learning 3 roles (ADC, Jungle, Support) because everyone and their dogs want to play top/mid, so you'll pretty much never be needed to fill those roles.

Wolfsleigher

02-25-2013

Quote:
ShoopuS:
Actually, you can get away with learning 3 roles (ADC, Jungle, Support) because everyone and their dogs want to play top/mid, so you'll pretty much never be needed to fill those roles.

I actually "fought" with someone over support once. lol
The only spot left was top, so I let him support and I took top :P

iTACHIgator

02-25-2013

I got to Plat by only playing top. My other 4 roles suck. You can play all 5 roles ( thats questionable ) and you are probably bronze/silver. Your argument is invalid.

Layla

02-25-2013

Quote:
ashxu:

frommaplestreet and Aphromoo actually inspired me to learn support. Now I believe that anyone who can play ADC should also be able to support well.

Ironically, I can't ADC anymore. Couldn't keep up with the curve, get stomped all the time. :x

Uiraya

02-25-2013

And hell, as I recall from ranked, what SHOULD happen is this:
First: Jungle or support
Second: Jungle or support
Third: ADC
Fourth: Mid or top
Fifth: Mid or top

Unless they tip their hand early, you want to follow something like this to avoid being counterpicked. Negotiating trades is something else there is very little time for in solo queue.
~Uiru