AP tank Taric

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lajinn5

02-24-2013

Experimenting in a match with him I built RoA, Sorc Shoes, Lich bane, Zhonya's, Athene's(mostly for the MR), and Rabadon's, i had about 3k hp, 590 AP, 200 armor, and 100 MR.

Anyone have any better build ideas?

Butts McFarts

02-24-2013

Ohh, man, AP Taric is my favorite

My usual build is pretty close to that, only with Merc Treads instead of Sorcs. Taric relies on getting in pretty close to do his nuke, so it really helps to have Tenacity, both for advancing and not getting totally screwed in a teamfight. Given the crazy damage dump from R+E+W+Lich Bane, you probably won't miss the 15 flat MPen. He'll live a bit longer, and that might mean enough to score another heal or round of spells.

Lajinn5

02-25-2013

Hmm, good idea, will have to try with a change of boots ^.^

AlmightyShenron

02-25-2013

Quote:
Given the crazy damage dump from R+E+W+Lich Bane, you probably won't miss the 15 flat MPen.
just advice on lich bane;
You shouldn't combo, then follow with a basic. You should try to throw a basic in between each ability cast to maximize damage; so R+LB+E+LB+W+LB

Braeus Faustus

02-25-2013

I might be interested in trying this out. Though, where do you play him? Mid? Top? I would think you wouldn't be able to get enough gold for that build as support...

Butts McFarts

02-25-2013

Quote:
You shouldn't combo, then follow with a basic. You should try to throw a basic in between each ability cast to maximize damage; so R+LB+E+LB+W+LB
That's the idea, yeah I just meant the amount of damage you'll do amongst your skills and procs will not be hampered too much by losing that MPen.

As far as laning goes, I've found much more success with AP Taric up top than in mid lane, as many mids have longer ranged and more intimidating poke than Taric does. He's fantastic against a lot of bruisers sent up top (AP Taric is my current favorite counter to Darius) because he can usually Dazzle them before they get their licks in and either harass back with a Shatter or back off if you can't win a trade. Start with Cloth and 5 to mitigate enemy harass and just farm/stay in lane for as long as you can. Early Seeker's and Sheen will make it harder for them to contest your farming, and being able to AA in peace will keep your mana and heals healthy. Taric's early game damage is pretty respectable, especially if you can Dazzle from point blank, so don't be afraid to bully.

In mid lane, do NOT pick Taric if the enemy AP carry has a target stun or something that can otherwise completely shut down your ability to advance without a Flash, because they'll trounce you and you won't be able to mingle in the farm at all. Taric does well against any champ that has no mobility and relies on skillshots (Like Lux!) or needs to cuddle up to do damage (Talon and Katarina). I've a bit less experience with Taric mid, but it's definitely not bad!

Lajinn5

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeus Faustus View Post
I might be interested in trying this out. Though, where do you play him? Mid? Top? I would think you wouldn't be able to get enough gold for that build as support...
Try him top, he works magnificently in a farm lane. If you're being duo laned against though it's difficult to survive, against a duo lane you want them to push to turret that way you can farm safely, especially if they have someone with hard CC.

Erad17

02-25-2013

I know my friend plays him AP mid and does really well. Last hitting is really easy, and you can just build flat AP.