What Burden of Knowledge actually is.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rickert

10-29-2010

Ok I don't care about those anti-patterns things. All I (and many other people) care about is, after a while, the game start getting boring to them with repetitive gameplay (look at current released champions). The original 40 champions are much better than champions released currently, in term of fun and uniqueness. I don't like repetitive and overpowered champion like MF (AoE slow, massive AoE damage, high single damage target). Let's compare MF to teemo, meh.

Look at the "leaked" Le Blanc skill set and see how much fun and unique it could be when it is implemented into the game.

Riot is hurting their replayability. It is the worst anti-pattern they should make highest priority.

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2010

Oh look, somebody read Zileas's thread and think they understand game design because of it again.

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2010

Actually I think Veigar's ulti is more of a burden of knowledge than his stun. After being hit by his stun once, it is pretty obvious what it does. His ulti doing damage based on the ap you have is neither obvious, or similar to any other game mechanic.

Rogmarz

Master Recruiter

10-29-2010

Ehh sorta. I think you killed your argument by saying Veigar's stun is an example, because it's not. It's clear to the victim that running into the edge stuns you. There's no "burden" where the user must research the ability to better react to it.

Compare this to maybe something like Morgana's ult, where the victim would need to know that running out of range breaks the tether, or Taric's stun where you would need to research the skill to know that the optimal way to react is by staying closer to Taric so the duration is shorter.

Kajax

10-29-2010

Rupture is a wonderful mechanic because it forces the victim to decide if they will take more damage if they run or stop. In some cases they might die either way. You know this I'm sure...honestly I must not understand?

In response to your argument, Rupture IS good design because it's complexity makes it more than just a DoT. It can almost effectively be a root when necessary.

In all honesty, I DO consider rupture to be more of a root than a DoT. Bloodseeker is often in 1 v 1, 1 v 2 situation...gah the more I talk about it the more I love reminiscing about DotA and its awesome "anti-fun" mechanics.

OBITWIZZLE

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajax View Post
Rupture is a wonderful mechanic because it forces the victim to decide if they will take more damage if they run or stop. In some cases they might die either way. You know this I'm sure...honestly I must not understand?

In response to your argument, Rupture IS good design because it's complexity makes it more than just a DoT. It can almost effectively be a root when necessary.
I played DOTA in WC3, never the standalone game so I can only think in LoL situations, but if I put a DoT on someone, i'm not going to run away from them giggling, i'm going to keep pushing. So how in the world is giving the player a "stop and don't take damage from this one ability, but 2-3 of your enemy's other abilities" or "run and take damage, and pray you can flash/ghost away and that DoT won't kill you" a valid choice? It's not. You get hurt either way, and quite possibly, die either way. Totally awesome "skill" right there.

OBITWIZZLE

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogmarz View Post
Ehh sorta. I think you killed your argument by saying Veigar's stun is an example, because it's not. It's clear to the victim that running into the edge stuns you. There's no "burden" where the user must research the ability to better react to it.

Compare this to maybe something like Morgana's ult, where the victim would need to know that running out of range breaks the tether, or Taric's stun where you would need to research the skill to know that the optimal way to react is by staying closer to Taric so the duration is shorter.
How many people do you see running (trying anyway) out of his stun circle? Or better, into it? This is FAR from a hardcore community, and people don't even pick up on the most obvious mechanics like this. the LoL devs know this and choose to run the KISS philosophy.

Once again, if people don't like the simplicity, there are other options, i just don't get why they have to cry here. Go play something else (not you, just the whiners in general)

Fennec

Recruiter

10-29-2010

Burden of Knowledge is something that you can't Explain how to counter in less then 5 words Simple...

Rupture
Counter- MOVE
See simple.

Twilight Shroud
Counter- She Stealths in there.

Something like Nidalees Cat is a little closer to a Burden but its understandable pretty quickly.
Counter- She turns into a cat with new skills lasts forever.

Rogmarz

Master Recruiter

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBITWIZZLE View Post
How many people do you see running (trying anyway) out of his stun circle? Or better, into it? This is FAR from a hardcore community, and people don't even pick up on the most obvious mechanics like this. the LoL devs know this and choose to run the KISS philosophy.

Once again, if people don't like the simplicity, there are other options, i just don't get why they have to cry here. Go play something else (not you, just the whiners in general)
I saw it back when I was <30. I rarely see it anymore, I see most people actually move toward the middle now. I'm not saying it doesn't trick people, especially the lower echelon of skill/experience, but it's not the definition of burden of knowledge.

Burden of knowledge would be something that basically requires the person to look it up or ask someone about how the actual skill works before they understand what to do about it.

Veigar's stun stuns you when you run into the edge. It's not like there's an additional effect where you take extra damage if you stay near the center, or you can ignore the stun if you run between the little spikes.

Uccisore

10-30-2010

x