Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheSoviet C

02-24-2013

Hey all.

So Gangplank is one of my favorite champs, I went into a game messing around with Critplank. Full crit damage rune page. Needless to say it could be amusing at times, however it just wasn't effective against the likes of say Darius, Jayce or even Akali, Three incredibly strong champions. So I kept the rune page, and tried a few other builds. I progressively got better, until I found a build that I really enjoyed. It ended up being in this order(most times) statikk shiv, frozen mallet, spirit visage, and infinity edge. What are your thoughts on this build, and have you found success with Gangplank on Dominion ?

I've tried making him work on SR and It's beyond hard. I just got finished with 3 dom games, and I had 25 assists each game, with anywhere from 15-25 kills if I recall correctly. It's one of the first times I've amassed a good amount of kills as well as a high score and a high number of assists. For example, it's not out of the ordinary for me to rack up 27 or so kills with swain, but never many assists. It felt good to be more of a team player in a way.

Maybe this is a standard build for him, perhaps not. I see people building him glass cannon all the time, and that's it.

I plan on trying out ARP and AD runepages, do you think they would be better then a full crit page ?

Orphane

02-24-2013

Gangplank's kit is simply not designed for Dominion. He's made for a laning phase where he can use Parrley to get a farm advantage to outbuild the enemy laner, while Oranges help him win trades where the enemy is packing CC/get out of ganks. Unfortunately having one damage spell (which is actually just an autoattack) and a fairly weak steroid (even if it's for an entire team) just doesn't cut it in Dominion.

Malah

02-24-2013

I dabbled with GP during free week. Running a solid bruiser build and just going for team initiations between FM laced Q - E - R got me the most success. I think my build went something like Ionian - Phage - Cleaver - Ghostblade - FM - Lantern - Odyn's - Lightbringer.

I did enough damage to be able to kill people who weren't straight up tanks but between Cleaver and E the carry standing in the back was doing a lot of damage and with Q spam on their diver he didn't have to kite so much as dance circles around their team while dismantling anyone who did actual damage. The designers themselves have pretty much admitted that GP's kit has next to no synergy with each other but it does function wonderfully as making him a nearly inescapable initiation with a team behind him.

He seems to play well supporty considering that like most supports his kit's awful for damage alone but does well with a team backing him up.

I wouldn't play him when I seriously want results. If you want a carry there are far superior choices and in terms of bruisers there are picks with more damage and who bring more for a team. I went support bruiser to get something actually done but most actual supports will do that job better.

lbgsloan

02-24-2013

He's fun, and his ult is never bad, but he's in that awkward zone where's he's not quite good enough as a melee carry and not quite good enough as a tanky derp. It doesn't help that yoloq seems to expect him to go bot, where he will lose to most common bot picks.

Torkable

02-24-2013

build tanky ap and win on pure surprise/trolling because you instantly break their cc and heal for over half your hp and they have no idea wtf is going on.