Rex, The Shock Trooper

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mathyous

02-24-2013

Author's Forward:

Hey everyone, Mathyous here with my 2nd member from VAAM. As always please give it a look over and offer your thoughts. Constructive criticism is ALWAYS appreciated. I'm always looking for ways to improve my characters and am aware of the benefits of multiple viewers.

Rex, is designed mainly to be a jungler, relying on movement around the map to charge his abilities, however I surmise he can function fairly well in top lane as well. I really wanted to give players the gratification of crashing into the thick of combat like a real shock trooper would and starting some chaos. So with that in mind, I present to you Rex, The Shock Trooper:

Not sure hot to upload pics to the post, but I know how to do links...so those of you wanting to know what Rex looks like? check out HERE

Lore:

Quote:
For Rex, his dream was speed. Anything that moved, he wanted to make faster; if it didn’t move he’d make it move and THEN go faster. Always on the lookout for the next big rush that would propel him to greater heights, the denizens of Piltover knew that Rex held nothing back when it came to realizing his need for speed. While often warned by the resident genius, Heimerdinger, that his obsession for speed could seriously hurt himself or others in the future were he not careful and follow proper safety procedures, Rex never paid him much heed. Rex didn’t want safe, he wanted fast. Though perhaps he should have listened…

A revolutionary Jet propulsion system was his latest achievement, capable of attaining speeds upwards to five hundred kilometers per hour, and Rex was eager to put it to the test. It was only in mid-flight that Rex discovered a fatal error; being unable to correct it, Rex fell spiraling out of the sky crashing into a countryside villa, fatally wounding one person. As a punishment for his disregard for safety, Heimerdinger placed a “no-fly” restriction on Rex, banning him from designing anything that exceeded a certain speed, until he had learned to exhibit better self-discipline and control.

Rex’s chance to prove such disciplines came when Heimerdinger was approached by Gauss with the proposition to lead a specialized research analysis strike team, later dubbed as VAAM. Heimerdinger decided that if Rex could successfully operate under Gauss’s command during the mission, he would lift the ban, pending a positive report from Gauss. Accepting the offer without a moment’s hesitation Rex joined VAAM in hopes of lifting his ban restrictions. Wrench, who had been recruited by Gauss a few weeks earlier, and was in charge of designing the specialized armor and equipment for the mission, decided to surprise Rex with a now new-and-improved version of his prototype jet pack. When the day finally came for VAAM’s trip into the portal, Rex held his head high filled with the hopes of realizing his dreams once again. When the team eventually returned through the portal many months later, many noted that Rex’s demeanor had noticeably changed. Shortly after having his ban lifted, Rex petitioned to join the League of Legends, deeming it as a safer place to achieve his dreams and keep his fighting skills sharp. Rex can now be seen soaring into battle on Fields of Justice.
Quote:

“It's not the Speed that kills you, it’s the sudden stop. My answer? Just don’t stop. -Rex
Abilities:

Passive (Innate):

Quote:
“Sprocket” Propulsion System (Passive):
The SPS gathers power as Rex traverses the landscape, and slowly over time; allowing him to use his abilities.
The faster Rex moves, the faster he charges his capacitor reserves.
*Note*: The SPS will involve a new resource system (probably fuel or some such).
Q:
Quote:
Crash-course (requires 50 power)

Rex boosts to target location tackling the first enemy target he collides with dazing them and dealing damage. If Ova-boost is active, a successful tackle will empower his blade, Black Thunder, to do additional on-hit damage for 5 seconds.

Rex travels in a straight line and tackles the first enemy he contacts, massively slowing them for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds. If Ova-boost is active when Rex collides with his target, it will trigger his blade “Black Thunder” to do 30/45/60/75/90 (+.3 bonus AD) additional magic on-hit for 5 seconds.

Skillshot range: 800
Impact damage: 60/80/100/110/120 (+1.2 bonus AD)
Slow duration: 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds
Slow Amount: 50%
On hit Magic damage: 30/45/60/75/90 (+.3 bonus AD)
On-hit duration: 5 seconds

====NOTE SIGNIFICANT REVISIONS ON WHITE LIGHTNING ARE PENDING=====
W:
Quote:
White Lightning: (requires 25 power)
Rex charges up his pistol, White Lightning, and fires a gas canister that travels in a line slowing targets that cross its path. Upon casting this ability again, Rex fires a bolt of electricity in a straight line, damaging targets.

Rex fires a trailing gas canister towards a target location, any units caught in the smoke or pass through it will have their movement speed slowed for 2 seconds. This smoke will last for 5 seconds; in that time Rex can activate White Lightning again to fire an electrical pulse from his weapon dealing damage in a line. If the arc comes into contact with the smoke field, it will electrify it causing it to deal damage every second for 5 more seconds but removing the slowing effect. If Ova-boost is active when Rex triggers this ability the base damage from the arc and electric shocks are doubled.

Cast Range of Gas: up to 800 (leaves a trail for 5 seconds)
Cast Range of Electric bolt: 650
Slow from gas trail: 10/11/12/13/15%
Damage from arc shot: 80/95/105/110/125 (+.3 AP)
Damage per second from electric shocks: 25/45/55/65/75 (+.2 AP)
Energy gained per second from electric effect: 15
Cooldown: 15/14/13/12/10
E:
Quote:
Ova-boost: (Requires 10 power)
Rex overclocks the SPS, doubling his energy reserves and output for a short period of time. Additionally the next ability Rex uses will gain a bonus effect.

Activating this ability double’s Rex’s energy reserves and energy regeneration/gain for 10 seconds and a movement speed boost for duration. Additionally it will trigger additional effects for all of his other abilities.

Cooldown: 45/40/35/30/25
Target: Self
Movement speed boost: 5/8/10/12/15%
Possible Speech on-activation:
This is what I’m talking about!
This is REAL speed!
R:
Quote:
Halo Dive: (Requires 100 power)
Rex Initiates a HALO jump, short for “High Altitude, Low Opening”, using his Jet pack to propel him high into the sky for up to 3 seconds. During this time Rex selects an impact location and comes crashing down at impossibly high speeds dealing a heavy damage to the target area (a range ring will appear for his selected area for both teams). The surrounding terrain will depress around his impact site creating a small crater.

While Rex is in the air, he is unable to move from his current position however, he is unable to be targeted by any new spells, abilities or attacks. When in Ova-boost mode, Halo dive will require half power to activate and will strike for a higher percentage of his Attack Damage.
Inner zone damage: 250/450/650 (+50% of total attack damage); Ova-boost (+100% of total attack damage)
Outer zone damage: 150/250/350 (50% of bonus Attack Damage); Ova-boost bonus: (100% of bonus attack damage)
Cooldown: 90/75/60 seconds
Cast range (for initial “ground zero” of the crater): 2000
Range of outer zone: 400-800 units
Range of Inner zone: 0-400 units

When Rex begins descent says “THIS…IS FALLING WITH STYLE!”

Voice Commands:
Quote:
On move: Walking is so…slow!
On move: Can’t we get there any faster?
On move: Are we there yet?
On move: I’m feeling a need….a need for speed.
On attack: BRING IT ON!
On attack: Let me at ‘em!
On joke: Up high, down low…too slow joe! *laughs*
On joke: *tries to balance sword on hand* “Am I doing this right? *tosses and balances on his nose* “how about now?”
On joke: *bounces up and down (like how runners warm up)* “you know...I bet I could catch the gingerbread man…
On taunt: I’ve fought things that’d eat you for breakfast and I ate them for breakfast…where does that leave you…
On death: Not quite fast enough…

Quote:
Revisions:
---2/25/2013: Edited his Q to deal damage to minions as well, the intention here was to provide a means to which obtain faster jungle clears. Also to stress the fact he has to aim really well to land on a champion. Also boosted the bonus damage ratio.
Added a picture link for his concept art. :3
Edited his passive to a unique resource
Made note for his ultimate that a targeting reticle appears for both teams when he flies up into the air giving his possible range of attack.
Adjusted the ova-boost perk to reduce cost by half not 100%.
Edited ova pack to grant an active movement speed boost per rank, this way actually making people want to rank it.

Mathyous

02-24-2013

bumpity bump bump bumpity bump bump

Mathyous

02-24-2013

bumping for freshness. Its the new glade.

MilkusWolfus

02-24-2013

Must warn you that I'm not great at balancing ratios or stats. However I will look over the skills and champ as a whole.

Very well put together and thought out lore. At the start I was liking him for being a bit cocky and then respected him for coming back the hardened warrior...then I read the quote and quite literally laughed out loud. <3

Quote:
“Sprocket” Propulsion System (Passive):
The SPS gathers energy as Rex traverses the landscape and over time; allowing him to use his abilities.
*note: the faster Rex moves, the faster he charges his energy reserves*
[P]: This may require a new system other than energy such a "Fuel" or something and flush out how much is gained over time cause I'm curious on how much down time from slaying wraiths to ganking mid you'll have, but I like it. Gotta love those manaless junglers!

Quote:
Crash-course (requires 50 Energy)

Rex boosts to target location tackling the first enemy champion he collides with dazing them and dealing damage. If Ova-boost is active, a successful tackle will empower his blade, Black Thunder, to do additional on-hit damage for 5 seconds.

Rex travels in a straight line and tackles the first champion he contacts, massively slowing them for 1 second. If Ova-boost is active when Rex collides with a champion, it will trigger his blade “Black Thunder” to do additional on hit damage for 5 seconds.
[Q]:I hope this can apply to large jungle creeps as well, might need Black Thunder for this one.

Moving on! Daze is a cool idea I thought it was gonna be a stun but a slow is a much better idea. Though I think it should scale into late game a bit better even a little bit. 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 1.75 / 2s at around 50% slow would be my vote. You have no idea how much I wanna see this character in game from this [Q] alone. Just a huge mechwarrior looking dude wielding a sword name "Black Thunder"! My imagination wants this champion in my body...ok that got weird. NEXT ABILITY!

Quote:
White Lightning: (requires 25 energy for first shot, and 35 energy for the second shot)
Rex charges up his pistol, White Lightning, and fires a gas canister that travels in a line slowing targets that cross its path. Upon casting this ability again, Rex fires a bolt of electricity in a straight line, damaging targets.

Rex fires a trailing gas canister towards a target location, any units caught in the smoke or pass through it will have their movement speed slowed for 2 seconds. This smoke will last for 5 seconds; in that time Rex can activate White Lightning again to fire an electrical pulse from his weapon dealing damage in a line. If the arc comes into contact with the smoke field, it will electrify it causing it to deal damage every second for 5 more seconds but removing the slowing effect. If Ova-boost is active when Rex triggers this ability the base damage from the arc and electric shocks are doubled.
[W]: Diggin' the gas canister. (Smoke out?) Now I'm concerned about the amount of time this smoke is active, is it 5s then you can hit it with lightning for another 5s? I think it should be apply shock to smoke for the remainder of it's duration.
Doubled damage? O.o 75*5s=375 base damage in DoT damage alone? seems...high...idk Ultimate already hits pretty hard for a beefy jungle that will probably be tank/off tank to have a follow up that hits a decent area at that damage. Take it or leave it. Again I'm not a numbers guy.

Quote:
Ova-boost: (Requires 10 energy)
Rex overclocks the SPS, doubling his energy reserves and output for a short period of time. Additionally the next ability Rex uses will gain a bonus effect.

Activating this ability double’s Rex’s energy reserves and energy regeneration/gain for 10 seconds. Additionally it will trigger additional effects for all of his other abilities.
[E]: So is this a boost to his max energy pool? All in all seems good to me. Synergizes well with his kit.

Quote:
Halo Dive: (Requires 100 energy)
Rex Initiates a HALO jump, short for “High Altitude, Low Opening”, using his Jet pack to propel him high into the sky for up to 3 seconds. During this time Rex selects an impact location and comes crashing down at impossibly high speeds dealing a heavy damage to the target area. The surrounding terrain will depress around his impact site creating a small crater.

While Rex is in the air, he is unable to move from his current position however, he is unable to be targeted by any new spells, abilities or attacks. When in Ova-boost mode, Halo dive will require no energy to activate (barring Cooldown) and will strike for a higher percentage of his Attack Damage.
[R]: I imagine there will be an indicator for you dropping onto the enemy? Just landing on a foe might be a little overpowered. My thoughts are a large circle that shrinks to a small circle right before you land sort of like a targeting device. Also in Ova-boost having it cost nothing might be a bit much, perhaps half cost instead? Other than that I think this ultimate is amazing and suits him perfectly. Seriously...I would buy this character day one.

Overall: [P] is simple and operational with slightly more information on how exactly it works and probably changing it to a new resource system or have it only regenerate moving around and in Ova-boost. [Q] Nothing more to say. I'm in love. [W] Launching a canister of gas at a Karthas has actually been a dream of mine for a while now. [E] Simple and effective steroid. Compliments his kit nicely. [R] Ok I take it back, NOW I'm in love. For real, Take my money now.

Mathyous

02-24-2013

One of my very good friends did an initial artist rendering of it. Its a B&W sketch, but it really does him justice. I think you'll enjoy the drawing. Rex being sexy

Quote:
[P]: This may require a new system other than energy such a "Fuel" or something and flush out how much is gained over time cause I'm curious on how much down time from slaying wraiths to ganking mid you'll have, but I like it. Gotta love those manaless junglers!
Funny you should mention that. I orignally wanted it to be its own unique skill resource, but changed it to energy thinking it might be easier to implement into an already existing system. But originally (and Ideally) I wanted it to be a fuel reserve. (so im 100% with you on this one :P)

[Q]:I hope this can apply to large jungle creeps as well, might need Black Thunder for this one.

Quote:
Moving on! Daze is a cool idea I thought it was gonna be a stun but a slow is a much better idea. Though I think it should scale into late game a bit better even a little bit. 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 1.75 / 2s at around 50% slow would be my vote. You have no idea how much I wanna see this character in game from this [Q] alone. Just a huge mechwarrior looking dude wielding a sword name "Black Thunder"! My imagination wants this champion in my body...ok that got weird. NEXT ABILITY!
Sounds good. I didn't want it to be a stun because...it would be too easy. Even though its a skill shot...no matter how I looked at it, making his daze into a stun would tip the scales too far into his favor. So i voted for a slow. And I approve of your recommendation. I will adjust it to a steady slow that increases in duration per ranks. Thanks!

Quote:
[W]: Diggin' the gas canister. (Smoke out?) Now I'm concerned about the amount of time this smoke is active, is it 5s then you can hit it with lightning for another 5s? I think it should be apply shock to smoke for the remainder of it's duration.
Doubled damage? O.o 75*5s=375 base damage in DoT damage alone? seems...high...idk Ultimate already hits pretty hard for a beefy jungle that will probably be tank/off tank to have a follow up that hits a decent area at that damage. Take it or leave it. Again I'm not a numbers guy.
Yeah..I had a little trouble describing the gas canister in a decal sort of fashion. As it currently stands its up to 5 seconds and then if eletricified, it'll go for another 5 seconds. Originally I had it set for 3 seconds and then another 3 seconds, but I up'd it to 5 for each since I felt perhaps a little longer.

A little bit of my rational behind doubling the damage with ova-boost. The actual diameter of this "shock field" is really really small (about same as singed poison) and only the "cloud" would continue shocking. The pistol shock is a one time damage. I intended this to be a way for him to counteract ranged harrass if he was ever sent to top lane. Every one of his other abilities is melee based. Though I'll take your notice into consideration and ponder the damage ratios. Though overall do you like the skill as a whole and only have qualms regarding the damage it does? Or do you not like the ability as a function?-Thanks in advance!

Quote:
So is this a boost to his max energy pool? All in all seems good to me. Synergizes well with his kit.
Yeah I felt so too. It boosts his energy (or later on fuel :P) pool. It also causes him to recharge energy even without moving, though he will recharge even faster if he IS moving. (as a way to allow him to play in lane and not be screwed over for not being able to move alot)

Quote:
[R]: I imagine there will be an indicator for you dropping onto the enemy? Just landing on a foe might be a little overpowered. My thoughts are a large circle that shrinks to a small circle right before you land sort of like a targeting device. Also in Ova-boost having it cost nothing might be a bit much, perhaps half cost instead? Other than that I think this ultimate is amazing and suits him perfectly. Seriously...I would buy this character day one.
Yes, there WILL be a targeting indicator that is visable for EVERYONE to see. ^_^ I'll see about half cost. Since in OVA he'll have doubled fuel cap too. Sounds reasonable enough, I'll make the change.

======================================

I'm glad you like him so much! I too had a wonderful time creating him and absolutely fell in love with his character. While designing him I practically heard Rex yelling into my ear screaming "MAKE MEEEEE"

If you'd like to keep an eye out for the rest of VAAM's squad they're en route. Additionally, I've already got Wrench, The Technician already on the forums. Link if you'd like to check him out too.

Oh and I know there'd be copyright and all that..but this was the musical feel I was feeling (and listening to on repeat for hours) as I was creating Rex. I picture this being the "log in" music. Figured you'd like to listen and feel for yourself: The Decisive Battle

Thank you SO much for the wonderful critique!

Mathyous

02-25-2013

the wheels on the bus go bumpin bumping

The5lacker

02-25-2013

The idea of having all of his abilities basically function like Statikk Shiv is...interesting. Of course, requiring someone to run around in a circle to restore a resource is a bit...silly. Especially is the resource is called "fuel." Fuel from movement. Huh.

A total 60% bonus AD damage for an ability is pretty underwhelming. Something that not a lot of people realize is that AD and AP scale very differently. A 100% AP scaling nuke is terrifying, because AP is so much cheaper per point than AD, but 100% AD is, well, just the damage someone deals from a single hit. That's not that scary, at least not as an ability.

W is a bit...complex. I'd not have the ability cost on the actual damage dealing part, most abilities don't. As is it's basically a line version of Lux's E, which is fine and all, but again, your scaling is...low. Like, really low. 30% AP scaling is just kinda terrible.

E is 100% dependent on his other abilities, and therefore is pretty bad. I'd add some sort of AS and MS steroid to it or something, to make it a viable first pick.

I'd DRASTICALLY increase the range on his ult. A 800 unit dash is just kinda...sad. Pantheon basically gets a global drop, TF gets a global teleport, etc. Raise its range to at least 2000, if not significantly higher. This is supposed to be a high mobility guy.

I can see what you were going for with this guy, but nothing seems to...click. He's got a ranged slow, a gap closer, and that's...about it. I'd work on giving him a bit more punch, and remove the cost from his abilities. Instead, give him a Momentum resource that increases the effectiveness of all of his abilities, and is regained through movement. That'd work better, I think.

Mathyous

02-25-2013

Quote:
The idea of having all of his abilities basically function like Statikk Shiv is...interesting. Of course, requiring someone to run around in a circle to restore a resource is a bit...silly. Especially is the resource is called "fuel." Fuel from movement. Huh.
I totally get where you're coming from with that, my focus was to have him being mobile anyway (focusing on running and ganking via jungle) but I could probably have a static regeneration and an enhanced fuel gain from movement.

Quote:
A total 60% bonus AD damage for an ability is pretty underwhelming. Something that not a lot of people realize is that AD and AP scale very differently. A 100% AP scaling nuke is terrifying, because AP is so much cheaper per point than AD, but 100% AD is, well, just the damage someone deals from a single hit. That's not that scary, at least not as an ability.
Hmm yeah. I'm not so good with AD scales so I'll check out some of the wiki' for reference damage. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
W is a bit...complex. I'd not have the ability cost on the actual damage dealing part, most abilities don't. As is it's basically a line version of Lux's E, which is fine and all, but again, your scaling is...low. Like, really low. 30% AP scaling is just kinda terrible.
Yeah it is, i was trying to give him a way to slow down escapes. Perhaps just make it an arc shot that deals damage initially and over time might increase simplicity. I didn't want him to get too powerful with too much scaling, figuring its safer to be underpowered and then tweak the scales up than to do the reverse.

Quote:
E is 100% dependent on his other abilities, and therefore is pretty bad. I'd add some sort of AS and MS steroid to it or something, to make it a viable first pick.
I like the way you think. Would the MS/AS boost be a passive thing? I think that would fit pretty well (thanks for bringing up the skill choice btw..i totally overlooked that)

Quote:
I'd DRASTICALLY increase the range on his ult. A 800 unit dash is just kinda...sad. Pantheon basically gets a global drop, TF gets a global teleport, etc. Raise its range to at least 2000, if not significantly higher. This is supposed to be a high mobility guy.
Ranges are kinda tricky for me without like...picture references to see in game, and while the wiki's have ranges of the skills, there's no visual reference for me to gauge just how big i want it to feel. I'll up the range. You think 2000 is good?

Quote:
I can see what you were going for with this guy, but nothing seems to...click. He's got a ranged slow, a gap closer, and that's...about it. I'd work on giving him a bit more punch, and remove the cost from his abilities. Instead, give him a Momentum resource that increases the effectiveness of all of his abilities, and is regained through movement. That'd work better, I think.
hmm I..I think i could see the resource working almost like renekton's fury does in how it amps up his powers. It would require a pretty hefty switcheroo, but If i made his ova have the move speed boost+attack speed boost, then make it so if he activates his abilities with sufficient fuel he gets the bonus effect?

Ill mess around with it on a separate file and see how I like it.

Thanks for your critique!

PhantomPhiter

02-25-2013

Amazing Epic Idea. Keep up the good work! One comment though, his personality sounds like that of the main character on the show Generator Rex. Other than that though it is a great idea. Can't wait for the rest of his team. Good luck.

MilkusWolfus

02-25-2013

The only thing that concerns me about [E] is the amount of time the gas/electric gas can stay on the field. The damage but I'm kinda meh at scaling so I'll leave that to someone else to judge.