Is playing passively a bad thing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

eMkcuF

02-23-2013

I usually play very passive if I am not jungling, especially with late game carries like vayne and ryze. I always just focus on farm until I start hearing "an enemy is godlike."

I just played a game where I was ryze vs morde and we were just trading and farming, both 0/0/0 12 minutes in. Fiora was jungling but never cared to gank even though morde was pushed all the way to my tower, but this was mostly because she had to help the other lanes. Even though we had trist, fiora, and myself as ryze, late game carries, we lost the game.

This kinda stuff happens all the time. Is it my fault for not taking a chance with morde? Should I play aggressive and risk feeding or snowballing? Or was it not that at all? Is morde better late game than ryze?

I play passive very often and I just want to know if its wrong. I've even had games where I finish 0/0/0.

Btw, I am always involved in teamfights, and no, morde did not roam and gank the other lanes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mister Simple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2013

Hmmm, it depends. Sometimes it's better to play passively and other times aggressively. Top lane is always aggressive (imo) and mid lane is passive (calculating) while bot lane exchanges pokes and capitalize on mistakes just like mid.

Thing is, different behaviors call for different play styles not to mention champions as they may be weaker early game vs mid game.

Edit: Oh yeah, as for Morde and Ryze -- I'm not sure how to help you there. I don't play Morde much but I know he's extremely aggressive mid-late as his passive demands doing damage to survive. You have no idea how many times I've said myself by turning and going back in the fight opposed to just running away.

Ryze is always aggressive, constantly poking with Q, but by doing so it'll put you in a vulnerable position to lose HP by either minions or poke since he too has short range as a mage.

Nakawaka

02-23-2013

Deny farm by harassing every time someone tries to CS is a form of aggressive play. For example, some shield minions on the verge of last hit from their opponent while some just auto-attack and move away a little before you get harassed back.

Eventually you'll have to invest games where you have to fight more aggressive and keep testing your character's limits til you have intuition down but don't worry too much about having a passive nature. Sometimes it's just about picking the right set of champions to center around.

laxjoh

02-23-2013

Playing passively with late game champs is the best thing you can do. Focusing on farming is also the most important, more so than gaining kills because I think it's about 13 CS that equal one champion kill? The only reason why kill is preferred is because killing a champion makes them go "afk" in the death screen for a period of time. That helps your teammates a lot in many aspects.

Against a Morde, you should play it safe. Morde is tanky and while Ryze has low CD, Ryze's range is just about the range of Morde's main harass. You can probably out poke him because Ryze has a low CD but you shouldn't risk going balls deep against a very tanky yet powerful AP champ that also requires no mana and can replicate your ghost. Fiora should have ganked and that should be the time where you go HAM but otherwise, it's good to play it safe.

ROKAF JE

02-24-2013

Well, there's a difference between passive and useless.
My friend plays mid alot, she is useless, not passive.

Her lane roams, she farms. She doesn't ward, and if her laner gets a kill on someone else on the map, she blames them.

Don't do the above.
0/0/0 means you did nothing for your team and might as well just been AFK (unless everyone was 0/0/0)

You don't have to "risk feeding" by making plays, just make them when you know you'll be successful (with the help of wards)

The most important thing you can do as a mid is gank the other lanes to snowball them / win.

Mord has a similar lategame, just because he does SO much damage. The difference is he has no CC and you can pretty much kite him around. 1 Rune Prison can change a game, Mord struggles to do this.

SUPERSEYMOUR

02-24-2013

You should try Nasus. He excels with passive play until the lategame

Dotayy

02-24-2013

Passive play is op, not many people look at the farm to judge how "Fed" you are. I played just bd jax not being in any teamfights after I got **** on a few times. I was around 1/5/1 and everyone else was at around 5-7 kills each (except support) But I had over 150 farm on everyone else and more levels because of more farm.

BAM

Top and jungler ganked me while i was backdooring...
DOUBLE KILL under the turret.

Then a quadra right after they were summoned again =]

FARM + Turrets > KILLS

Echo5kw

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKAF JE View Post
Well, there's a difference between passive and useless.
My friend plays mid alot, she is useless, not passive.

Her lane roams, she farms. She doesn't ward, and if her laner gets a kill on someone else on the map, she blames them.

Don't do the above.
0/0/0 means you did nothing for your team and might as well just been AFK (unless everyone was 0/0/0)

You don't have to "risk feeding" by making plays, just make them when you know you'll be successful (with the help of wards)

The most important thing you can do as a mid is gank the other lanes to snowball them / win.

Mord has a similar lategame, just because he does SO much damage. The difference is he has no CC and you can pretty much kite him around. 1 Rune Prison can change a game, Mord struggles to do this.

I disagree with most of what youve said about following, especially with someone like ryze. I always tell my mids to stay in lane and farm if their lane tries to gank. Most of the time i can get away and id rather them get super aggressive farming and get to their turret and hurt it. Sont follow, but punish for leaving

MicKretz

02-24-2013

vayne = def farm up until godlike mode...gj

ryze = u should be roaming mid and ganking as well (MS masteries / runes to help that)
his burst dmg is just super ownage