Why Am I Here: A Guide to Roles and Lanes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KOblivion

02-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niek View Post
There's actually a really, really helpful list of terms here:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=110065

Though, I think you make a good point and I will actually add this link and a note to the main post.
Thank you for that, the guide says its based on laning and roles, i would love to see what you define for mid and late game on the roles part of the guide, if you decide to include that, of course. i can personally say the guide really helps so please keep it going.

Mynx The Origin

03-01-2013

This is a very helpful guide, but there are a few things I want to ask and say.

1) You didn't include AD carries in any of the initial listings of lane composition. This kinda gets to me since I main Yi as my carry and usually go bot.

(I'm now expecting someone to say something about Yi being a bad carry, unviable, better built AP. It seems no one takes personal skill with a champ into consideration here.)

2) I know supports aren't supposed to get creep score, but logically, you should still be killing minions if (and only if) your carry is unable to do so themselves.

E.G. they recalled to buy something, dead, are unable to get the last hit from their position, they've started attacking an enemy laner (not saying you should stop helping, this really just applies to ranged supports like Sona and Soraka), etc. It's not like you stopped supporting, you're not taking valuable cs and you're preventing a net loss of gold and xp.

What I'm saying is, bending the rules and meta expectations can be very beneficial.

Edit note: This is relevant to the support cs gain I brought up. I did that as Sona with a very, very, VERY rude Vayne. Every time I killed a minion, she/he spammed the chat box with extremely hateful and discouraging rage talk, even when he/she was dead or unavailable to do so. She also constantly harassed me every time they died, which always by turret diving, getting pulled by Blitzcrank, etc. Apparently Sona's heal has 0 cooldown time as well.

Needless to say, I stopped supporting him four minutes in and helped top. They were much more grateful and helpful.

Niek

03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOblivion View Post
Thank you for that, the guide says its based on laning and roles, i would love to see what you define for mid and late game on the roles part of the guide, if you decide to include that, of course. i can personally say the guide really helps so please keep it going.
I'm glad that I could be of service Koblivion! I added big section at the end of the guide about the laning phase. I went into a lot of detail, so it's a bit lengthy. I hope you find it helpful! I explain late game, mid game, and early game in the addition, but I also explain the importance of last hitting, buffs, teamfights, and strategy. I hope you like what I've added.

Quote:
This is a very helpful guide, but there are a few things I want to ask and say.

1) You didn't include AD carries in any of the initial listings of lane composition. This kinda gets to me since I main Yi as my carry and usually go bot.

2) I know supports aren't supposed to get creep score, but logically, you should still be killing minions if (and only if) your carry is unable to do so themselves.

What I'm saying is, bending the rules and meta expectations can be very beneficial.
Well Mynx, I think you bring up some good points. For the first one, I have seen many Master Yi's go bot. What I was trying to do with this guide, however, was to explain roles, lanes, and the meta to players who are just starting out and unfamiliar with the game set up. Because of this, I didn't want to go into the fine intracies of option B, C, and H right off the bat. In North America, its recommended that a ranged AD Carry go bot. That's why in the guide, in the Bot Lane section, I talk about Supports and Ranged AD Carreis.

You also bring up a good point about how bending the meta could be beneficial. I agree that it can be. But I think a person needs to be skilled enough to pull it off, and also have a team that is able to work with the changes. Based on your match history with Yi, I would say that you're pretty ballin' with Yi. It's just that bending the meta can be just as harmful if not done correctly.

As far as the support comments go, I wholeheartedly agree. I am glad that you pointed that out because I didn't think to put that in there myself. I am sorry you had a rude Vayne, but you are absolutely right. If there are no other teammates to take the CS, there's no reason to let the gold go to waste when you can use it to speed up your build.

Niek

03-01-2013

Just a quick bump. Don't want any new players to miss out on this awesome information.

Niek

03-02-2013

Any other thoughts and requests for additions?

Mynx The Origin

03-02-2013

Wait, you can check another person's match history from the forum?

I understand the ranged AD carry deal. Don't want new players accidentally putting themselves in danger.

And it's good to know that what I said helped you, and by extension, any other learning player out.

Niek

03-02-2013

You cannot check it from the forum, no. But your forum name is the same as your Summoner name in the game client. You can copy and paste it in the game client and pull up Summoner profile. Now, unfortunately, if you look mine up, you're going to see some pretty terrible matches, in which I will respond, I never said I was a ranked player in the diamond league. I have a lot to learn when it comes to this game and what I know in my head doesn't always translate well to what I do on my keyboard when it matters.

The reason I even say that is because I don't want that to effect how you or other people see this guide. I've learned a lot from reading mobafire guides, reading the forums, watching ranked matches, playing games with my level 30 ranked friends when I was a wee baby child of level 8.

Mynx The Origin

03-02-2013

Ah. Good point. But yeah, I'm not level 30 yet. Just below it though. X3

And I honestly don't care how good someone plays as long as they're fun to play with and are good sports. Like apologizing for mistakes, verbally supporting allies, etc.

Niek

03-02-2013

This is true. I'm all about being as nice as a can. I always like to joke around, raising morale and such.

Trainermax

03-03-2013

Wow is it bad then I try to use Fizz mid and get 20-2?
Since Fizz isn't there on the champs for mid.