Why Am I Here: A Guide to Roles and Lanes

12345612 ... 22
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Niek

02-23-2013

Thanks for the input Clandestine! I wasn't able to add everything, but I did change and add some of the champions you had suggested. I honestly had never considered price when listing them, but that's a good thing to add. I also added in some text from what you said. Maybe not word for word, but I added some in there.

SilentNight102

02-23-2013

If I may add my experience as jungling main, Jungling shouldn't be attempted until you learn the general concepts of having map awareness, knowing when and where things are spawning as well as knowing the timers for Baron(15 minute spawn with a 7 minute respawn) and Dragon(2:30s first spawn and then 6 minutes after you first kill it). The biggest thing to know is timing of where to be and when to be there. Knowing lane dominance and High and Low status which can be explain in guides at Solomid posted at the bottom. Jungling is probably the most important role in the game for the fact it can control the pace of the game and change the outcome of it.

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=...ic-build-guide
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=...ic-build-guide

Niek

02-23-2013

Thank you. I have added a bit to the jungling section and added your name as a credit at the bottom. I didn't put it word for word, but I did add in the section about the timer and the importance of the summoner's knowledge. Thank you again.

Niek

02-24-2013

Just a gentle bump so that more people may see it.

Niek

02-24-2013

Would anyone be interested in a Noob League blog? A blog by a kind new for the newbie noobs? In other words, a blog with the most basic of basic learning guides for people who may not understand what's going on in the first few games?

- In-Depth Explanations of the Meta
- A version of this lane & role guide
- An explanation of the jungle camps
- So on, so forth

I see a lot of guides and helpful discussions on this forum, but I thought maybe a place where all of the information is in one central location. I think of places like Mobafire, and websites like that are great for learning champions builds and guides, but not the game mechanics. (I know there is a General Guide section, but you have to go looking).

Thoughts?

DAVdaBRAV

02-24-2013

I like what you're doing here, but I've got something to add. Particularly about this sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niek View Post
A support is a champion whose sole goal is to make sure their laning partner gets fed.
While the general idea is a good one, this is a really lackluster definition of a support. A great deal of players have at one time or another taken this definition at face value, pretty much exactly as you said it here; I did it too. It's an idea that I've seen lead to a great deal of awful support play, bad ADC attitude, and poor teamwork all around. A more accurate definition might be:

A support is someone who makes their teammates stronger, primarily by substantiating the ADC.

ADCs are known for their devastating damage, kiting, and siege potential late game. However, in exchange for their range and excellent attack damage scaling, they make tremendous sacrifice to base stats. This is one of the biggest reasons supports exist. A good support knows that it is his job to make up for the missing attack damage, attack speed, health, resistances, and/or crowd-control of his lane partner for as long as he needs it.

Supports worth their salt will make every effort to ensure that their ADC gets fed, but if they cannot accomplish that, they are not necessarily bad supports. If all they are able to do is provide zone presence enough that their ADC can last hit under tower, they are not doing it wrong. Good supports know that as long as their ADC continues to accumulate gold and levels comparable to their counterpart on the opposite team they will eventually become very dangerous in their own right!

Great supports understand that the game doesn't end at their laning partner. If bot lane is lost, the game is not. If the ADC is 23/0/0 their job is not done. A good team shouldn't amount to just the sum of it's parts, and a great support will ensure it's more than that. With wards, timers, auras, CC, etc. supports do their best to make up for anything their teammates can't do, won't do, or haven't thought of.

Supports aren't just a fifth wheel mandated to 0 CS by the economics of Summoner's Rift, or simple babysitters. I just thought you might want your first sentence about them to reflect that.

Niek

02-24-2013

Thanks for the suggestion! I was trying to think of the most basic way to explain a support, but I think your sentence and explanation does a much better job of that, as you pointed out. I have changed the sentence to what you've provided. Thank you.

DAVdaBRAV

02-24-2013

I really hate to point it out, but I think you forgot to save changes or something. It's still the same. :/

Also:
" Many mages use all of their abilities to do the most damage and therefore, are left vulnerable due to cool down reductions. "
It should say "restrictions" or just "cool downs". Cool down reduction would make mages less vulnerable as the restrictions on how soon they can use there abilities again after casting them are reduced.

Niek

02-24-2013

Well dang. I think what I did was copy and paste the sentence you quoted, which was my own! XD

Niek

02-25-2013

Well, moving on from that lovely post......

12345612 ... 22