Theory on fixing "Elo hell"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

scattman98

02-23-2013

I have this theory that I have not heard before on the threads and I think it can be a solution to the dreaded Elo hell. So most of us are there because of trolls/people who refuse to communicate. Why not have a rep system?? I mean it could work. After game if someone afkd trolled didn't communicate etc. you can submit a ticket about their rep. This ticket will either be reviewed, like a report, or automatically sanctioned to the player in question. The lower your rep, the lower the rep of players you play with. That way, trolls who have Terrible reps, can only troll other trolls. Gaining rep reduces the likelyhood of being stuck with those people, thus eliminating Elo hell. Any thoughts?

LogicalTautology

02-23-2013

It's been suggested before, but it has a fundamental flaw that makes it useless: Your Elo (or Division) must be based on nothing other than your ability to win games. Making players with worse "rep" have teammates that are less likely to be helpful means their rating will be lower than someone with good "rep" and similar skill.

scattman98

02-23-2013

But you can only loose rep by being a royal ****** bag. Example. Trolling: -15 rep. Lack of communication:-5 afk:-10 something like that. Rep gains? Good teammate: +5 cooperative: +10 friendly and helpful: +15 something to that effect. Losing games does not reduce rep, it would be gained or loss based on reports after game.

scattman98

02-23-2013

You won't lose rep if you don't deserve it, meaning, if you cannot follow the Summoners code, then you deserve to be plunged into the abyss of players who are jerks like you. This can save people who just aren't good, or people that have bad luck or strokes. A lot of people do not deserve to be stuck with these trolls, it isn't fair and it can be solved.

LogicalTautology

02-23-2013

Yes, but you're saying that if you are I are equally good at winning games, but I have a much worse attitude than you, that I will get worse teammates. Thus, my Elo/Rating/Division will be lower than yours. That defeats the entire point of the system.

ROKAF JE

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattman98 View Post
You won't lose rep if you don't deserve it, meaning, if you cannot follow the Summoners code, then you deserve to be plunged into the abyss of players who are jerks like you. This can save people who just aren't good, or people that have bad luck or strokes. A lot of people do not deserve to be stuck with these trolls, it isn't fair and it can be solved.
If you don't follow the summoner's code, you get banned.

scattman98

02-23-2013

I don't understand your statement. The entire point of having a five man team, is to work with it, cooperate with it and win with it. Elo is individual skill, but on those grounds, losing because of a trash trolly team wrecking your Elo isn't a proper measurement of individual skill is it? Listen, being successful in LoL means being a team player with knowledge and skill. All five players must contribute to the cause if a team is to win and Elo is to be earned. So why not punish people who willingly impede that, because they are childish or lack the ability to cooperate? In that case, why don't you see M5 arguing with eachother mid game? If they are pros then surely they are good enough to be there, so why would they need teamwork? See what I mean? The game is more complicated than that, so why punish the undeserving? Because its easy? I understand that riot only caters to pro class players because they rake in the dough. But seriously, how hard would it be to fix this issue? And anyway, this would introduce more pros who where deserving of being up there In ranked in the first place, spreading a wider variety of good and unique individuals?

scattman98

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKAF JE View Post
If you don't follow the summoner's code, you get banned.
Not always, and if that tool was so effective, why are there trolls in ranked in the first place?

LogicalTautology

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattman98 View Post
I don't understand your statement. The entire point of having a five man team, is to work with it, cooperate with it and win with it. Elo is individual skill, but on those grounds, losing because of a trash trolly team wrecking your Elo isn't a proper measurement of individual skill is it? Listen, being successful in LoL means being a team player with knowledge and skill. All five players must contribute to the cause if a team is to win and Elo is to be earned. So why not punish people who willingly impede that, because they are childish or lack the ability to cooperate? In that case, why don't you see M5 arguing with eachother mid game? If they are pros then surely they are good enough to be there, so why would they need teamwork? See what I mean? The game is more complicated than that, so why punish the undeserving? Because its easy? I understand that riot only caters to pro class players because they rake in the dough. But seriously, how hard would it be to fix this issue? And anyway, this would introduce more pros who where deserving of being up there In ranked in the first place, spreading a wider variety of good and unique individuals?
If you are better than other players in your games, you go up.
If you are worse than other players in your games, you go down.
No matter how good your sportsmanship is, any player in your bracket is just as likely to be your teammate as your opponent.

Remove any one of those three factors and Elo is meaningless. The simple fact that you think this system would improve the Elo rating of the supposed "good rep" people (hint: it won't) proves that your proposal would completely invalidate the system, as player's rating would change for reasons other than how much they help their team win the game.

laxjoh

02-23-2013

There is no elo hell!!! Now stfu please