Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Jungling -- where to begin?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Synocrates

02-23-2013

I highly suggest you DON'T start jungling until you've gotten more masteries and runes, because of this, I suggest you begin jungling at level 20. You'll should have saved up enough IP to buy your third tier runes, which will make jungling MUCH easier. Believe me, runes and masteries make a HUGE difference.

Jason411

02-23-2013

Quote:
Synocrates:
I highly suggest you DON'T start jungling until you've gotten more masteries and runes, because of this, I suggest you begin jungling at level 20. You'll should have saved up enough IP to buy your third tier runes, which will make jungling MUCH easier. Believe me, runes and masteries make a HUGE difference.

They make a huge difference. But you can still jungle without runes and masteries. I started with Nautilus around Lv15 and did fine.

You just need to pick one with enough sustain. Nautilus for example has an amazing shield that makes jungling very easy.

The only thing I'd say to do before Lv20 is do research on a jungler before you attempt one. I didn't and just got lucky with Nautilus. If I had of picked someone like Vi I would have gotten killed in the jungle and just gave up.

SlamHannigan

02-23-2013

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm actually a little over level 20, with limited PvP experience. I've got some basic rune pages, but I've been saving up for more runes, and plan to get more pages once I've branched out a bit.

646ttm

02-26-2013

I may be repeating what over people have said here as I have not read all the comments but here is some basic information about jungling, hopefully you might get a few tips and some information from this.

First thing you need to think about is which champion to jungle with. The champion should have some abilities that help clear the jungle routes quickly. A few examples of abilities that help you clear the jungle route quickly include: some AOE abilities such as amumu's W or abilities that provide extra such as trundle's Q. Another thing that helps make a champion a good jungle is an ability that gives a champion sustain. This could be something such as nunu's Q which does damage but also gives nunu some more health or a shield ability such as scarners shield. The final thing that makes a champion a good jungler is an ability that is good for ganking. This could be a slow, a stun or a gap closer.
Here are three examples of some good junglers
Amumu: good gap closer and stun with his q, good at clearing jungle camps with his W and his E and his ult makes really strong ganks.
Rammus: Power ball is really good for closing the distance when ganking then his taunt means that they cant get away and you and team mates can do alot of damage
Udyr: A good mix between quick jungle route and good ganks.
There are many more good junglers, those were just three examples.

Next thing to worry about is items. Most junglers start off with machete and 5 pots. There are also other jungling items that build from the machete but these are not always worth buying on some champions. As a jungler you should also buy some wards so you can ward: Your blue buff, the enemies blue buff, dragon and baron. There are also other places that are useful to ward in the jungle to make sure you dont get counter jungled or to make it easier for you to counter jungle.

If a champion has mana as there rescource they will probably start at blue buff or go wolves then blue buff. Some examples of champions who start at blue buff include: Nunu, Amumu and warwick. If a champion does not have mana then they will probably start at red buff or go wraiths then red buff. Some champions who start at red buff include mundo, lee sin and rengar. After this the jungle route will procede to kill all the jungle camps. So a champion who starts a blue buff jungle route would be: Blue buff, wolves, wraiths then if smite is off cooldown they go red and if smite is not off cooldown they go golems. Champions who start at red buff do this route backwards.

Different champions have effective ganks at different levels however you can gank at any level (my first gank is normally when I am level 3 but it really depends on the situation. You want to gank a lane when the enemy are pushing quite hard or if you are very confident you will be able to get them if you tower dive.

To jungle most effectively you will want to get good runes and masteries but just look on mobafire for those as it will take me a long time to say which runes and masteries to get on which champions.

Here a few more quick tips to help you jungle:
When you are confident you will not keep running out of mana you can as the champion who is mid if they want blue buff. If they do you can damage it for them but let them get it. Some mid champions who dont have mana dont need it that much such as kat or akali so if you have someone like that mid you can blue buff for yourself or let another team mate get it

You will want to try and get dragon as much as possible (in early levels you will need help from your team mates)

When your team are getting dragon or baron it will be your role to smite the baron/dragon to make sure the enemy dont steal it.

You want to try and know if and lanes are warded

You should always use smite as one of your sumoner spells

Quite often when you gank people will use flash or ghost to get away, if they do this try and gank against before their flash or ghost comes off cooldown.

Aliasear

02-26-2013

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/lost-in-the-jungle-a-junglers-cheat-sheet-for-success-by-297304