Jungling -- where to begin?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlamHannigan

02-23-2013

In an effort to gain proficiency in every role, I've been trying to switch up the champs that I play. There's just one thing I haven't tried yet, and that's jungling.

I get the basic idea -- instead of laning, you kill the baddies that lurk in the jungle for your gold and EXP, get the buffs when they come up, and gank lanes that need backup. But specific gameplay is largely lost on me. What monsters do you attack first? Which ones are stronger than others? When should you start thinking about ganking? What items make a good jungler? When is it a good idea to break off and start entering teamfights?

Any help, links to some good tutorials, etc., would be appreciated!

Spam Waffle Taco

02-23-2013

There are a lot of great videos out there.
Sorry to say I have none of them saved, because when I started jungling I just figured everything out on my own.

Jungling is, as you may already know, so that your top lane, which was probably a two-man lane when you started, doesn't have to share exp, thus giving your team a greater exp advantage (over a team that goes the 2-1-2 basic format). It is also to provide pressure for all three lanes, because they don't know where the 5th person is, and therefore have to be more careful.

Each champion is slightly different in their jungle, some having different clear speeds, "micro kill order" (i totally made that up, but I don't know what else to call it; I'll explain later), "macro kill order", and objectives.

By "micro kill order", I refer to the order in which you kill the monsters in each camp. It's not too important, unless you are champions like Kha'zix, who gain extra damage for isolating targets (and would therefore kill the smaller, weaker monsters first).

By "macro kill order", which is far more significant than micro kill order (in fact, you could probably ignore it unless you're Kha'zix), I refer to the order in which you move about the camps. Most often, in lower levels, you will start at Blue Buff or Red Buff. Look up for yourself where each camp is located on the map; I won't be telling you here. This will give you an advantage while jungling through the other camps.

Before I start telling you the order, I'll tell you what each buff provides; hopefully that will provide greater insight on the following topic. Red Buff buffs your Basic Attacks; it makes every basic attack you make inflict damage over time as well as a fairly strong slow. Blue Buff buffs your ability to cast spells. Not only does it provide 20% cooldown reduction, but it vastly increases your Mana Regeneration.

That said, most junglers will go Blue first (manaless junglers, or quirky champs like Shaco may go Red). The order for Blue for newbies is Blue, Wolves, Wraiths, Red/Golems (depends on jungler), Golems/Red (the remaining one), then Wraiths again. Of course that's assuming you don't gank at all during that time (which is recommended for beginners)

Red path is not so concrete; at least for me, as most of the junglers I start Red with are gankers; which means I will break my jungle path to go to a lane when an opportunity to gank arises. That said, I usually start Red, Wraiths, Golems/Wolves (golems are harder; I only do them if I'm left with tons of HP, which is not probable) Wolves/Golems, Wraiths. By then, usually a gank opportunity has shown up. If not, I recall to grab more items or try to give my mid the Blue (because then he can cast spells in his lane more freely).

Jungling is not only about getting more exp and ganking; in the case of two junglers, it is also about keeping watch for and outplaying the other jungler; this often requires you to buy a few wards, either to help out a lane that doesn't have any, or to keep an eye on the enemy buffs. Stealing enemy buffs with Smite (which is dreadfully important; I don't know why I took so long to mention it) helps your team immensely; not only did you steal a buff that was supposed to be the enemy's, but now, to get that buff again, the enemy jungler has to either try to kill you (who is already buffed), or steal yours (which is risky, and may or may not even be there).

That said, as a jungler you MUST take smite. Some champs don't need it to clear their jungle; they can clear it fine without it, but smite is needed to secure things like your own buffs, enemy buffs, dragon, and baron. Without smite, you risk those being stolen from you, which is very, very bad.

...hmmm I'm not sure what else to say.

Feel free to add me. I'll usually be more than happy to give you some beginner help, or play a game with you.

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2013

Usually, each champion have a specific route.

There are very good guides in Mobafire, I will post a few

Fiddlesticks
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-update-238783

Hecarim
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...updated-287986

Mundo
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...tonight-270086

Jason411

kungfuhustle44

02-23-2013

I suggest fiddlesticks if you are picking a champion. He is free right now so give him a try. I use him for 3v3 and sometimes laning. He is very strong all around and his solo and gank potential is incredible. Its the only champ i've ever got a quadra with (teleport + ult)

Jason411

02-23-2013

Fiddle is actually very difficult to gank with. He has a silence and a VERY strong fear. But nothing to slow or stun. His W is his drain which doesn't lock anyone in place so they can just walk out of it. And his ult can be interrupted VERY easily.

However his sustain in the jungle is REALLY good. He's the only jungler I can start with and never use a single health pot.

He's very strong if you know how to use him. But if you try him keep in mind it'll take time to master him.

Delete Teemo

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason411 View Post
Fiddle is actually very difficult to gank with. He has a silence and a VERY strong fear. But nothing to slow or stun. His W is his drain which doesn't lock anyone in place so they can just walk out of it. And his ult can be interrupted VERY easily.

However his sustain in the jungle is REALLY good. He's the only jungler I can start with and never use a single health pot.

He's very strong if you know how to use him. But if you try him keep in mind it'll take time to master him.
Acually, fiddle is very easy to gank with, assuming they're not warding (nobody wards in low lvls)

All that cc he has lets the Laner do the damage. You just need to communicate with your laner so they know youre coming.

And yeah, he's a great starting jungler. Low lvl players don't know how to deal with him and he can crush in 1v1 and teamfights if fed, and still be a powerful force because of his massive CC and ult even if he falls behind.

Jason411

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizzwiggle3 View Post
Acually, fiddle is very easy to gank with, assuming they're not warding (nobody wards in low lvls)

All that cc he has lets the Laner do the damage. You just need to communicate with your laner so they know youre coming.

And yeah, he's a great starting jungler. Low lvl players don't know how to deal with him and he can crush in 1v1 and teamfights if fed, and still be a powerful force because of his massive CC and ult even if he falls behind.
But the thing is. Slows and stuns are usually more useful for ganking. If you max your fear first then that's 3 seconds that they can't control their champ.

But it's still not AS helpful as a Nautilus that can come through, ult, Dredge Line, stun with his passive, and then slow. Because that's MORE than 3 seconds where the other champ can't do all that much. If he has Flash he can use that. But even still it's a successful gank because you drew that out of him.

I'm not against the Fiddle ganks. But you have to sacrifice doing a bit more damage to jungle creeps and stuff to have better ganks. Which to some might not be a big deal. But I could just play Nautilus or Vi and have the best of both.

Edit: I'm aware Vi doesn't have a slow. I just start off getting Phage on her for the chance to slow >.> Then when I get my ult up there's a knock up + potential slow.

CounterSnipe

02-23-2013

Never gank a lane that's failing. (like, really failing, hard.)
Every new jungler thinks the opposite of this, and they prioritize helping out the failing lanes.
In fact, a lot of junglers will even recommend you do it, but I don't. Here's why.

1) If a lane is failing it's due to the fact that the person your teammate is laning against is superior than he is. No amount of ganks you give that lane can ever increase your teammate's skill, and he will continue to lose regardless of what you do, or how much gold he has.

2) It forces you to put pressure on that lane when you could be pressuring other lanes that actually stand a chance of winning you the game.

3) Babysitting a failing lane is the same as asking the enemy jungler to counter jungle you all game because he will always know which side of the map you are on.

It's much smarter to push and counter gank the lanes that stand a chance of winning the game than it is to devote time to people who are losing.

Clandestine L

02-23-2013

nobody's said Stonewall yet
that seems weird
http://www.youtube.com/user/stonewall008
2 things to note
the guides imply you have level 30 masteries and runes
you want season 3 jungle videos, some will say the season in the title, for others (like team battles) you can check the UI to make sure it's similar to the one we have now (with the lights under the levels and things like that)