Competitive eSports. Drug Testing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xRAWKAx

Senior Member

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whigsplitta View Post
Foolish idea.

If this were a LEGITIMATE sport then maybe, but it isn't. And you will never convince me otherwise.
And what better way for Riot to take this sport to the next competitive level than introducing drug screening to ensure all teams are playing on even ground, where practice, preparation, and good decision making are the only things that decide game outcomes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ultimāte

Member

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRAWKAx View Post
And what better way for Riot to take this sport to the next competitive level than introducing drug screening to ensure all teams are playing on even ground, where practice, preparation, and good decision making are the only things that decide game outcomes.
'The next level' lol This game is nothing more than a blip on the radar of video games in general, let alone a landmark of sporting events.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xRAWKAx

Senior Member

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimāte View Post
'The next level' lol This game is nothing more than a blip on the radar of video games in general, let alone a landmark of sporting events.
That may very well be, but I believe eSports on the whole would benefit from a culture that doesn't allow for gaining a competitive edge through substance use.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xRAWKAx

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Just a little Monday bump.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atik L Yar

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whigsplitta View Post
Foolish idea.

If this were a LEGITIMATE sport then maybe, but it isn't. And you will never convince me otherwise.
What about the actual dangers of the drugs?

If teams are encouraged to take the drugs in order to be competative, not only does that make the drugs look 'ok' to their younger fans, but it puts the pros themselves in danger of overdosing or the many other risks.

All in all, preformance enhancing drugs should be banned. The only problem I see with this is that certain people with disabilities that NEED those drugs might not be able to compete. (I'm not sure how the NFL and such hangle that.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CommandShockwave

Senior Member

02-25-2013

How about those who are actually ON those medications?

I'm on a high dose of ADHD meds, have been for years. It wouldn't exactly be surprising to see that on a LOT of gamers tbh.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sikkes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-25-2013

caffeine OP. makes gamers too alert, too dexterous, and too socially awkward. winwinwin. ban tea and coffee from tournaments. i'm sick of seeing these hyped up super gamers battle it out every game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atik L Yar

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk Lord View Post
How about those who are actually ON those medications?

I'm on a high dose of ADHD meds, have been for years. It wouldn't exactly be surprising to see that on a LOT of gamers tbh.
Like I asked in my above post; how does the NBA and NFL handle those situations? I honestly have no clue...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xRAWKAx

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atik L Yar View Post
What about the actual dangers of the drugs?

If teams are encouraged to take the drugs in order to be competative, not only does that make the drugs look 'ok' to their younger fans, but it puts the pros themselves in danger of overdosing or the many other risks.

All in all, preformance enhancing drugs should be banned. The only problem I see with this is that certain people with disabilities that NEED those drugs might not be able to compete. (I'm not sure how the NFL and such hangle that.)
Your thoughts mirror mine pretty closely. The problem becomes this: if the highest level players are using psychostimulants to get to the top, anyone else who wants a solid shot at competing at the top is then required to abuse their body (through drug use) to do so. Thus it has the possibility of creating a very unhealthy culture of stimulant use in the competitive scene.

To your second point, I think if someone has a clear history of ADHD or some other (non-feigned) diagnosis that requires psychostimulants, those people would be able to use their medications as prescribed. Now, how would it be determined whether players actually needed the meds or just faked ADHD to get them? That I don't know.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PazuzuZeGargoyle

Senior Member

02-25-2013

The only people who would read that entire article are people currently taking adderall...