LoL on Ubuntu?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeadXera

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

Hello and good evening, GD.

I'm in the process of building a new PC, and have long felt the nagging call of switching to a Linux OS, such as Ubuntu. What I was wondering, is has anyone here had any experience with running League on such a platform? I know it's possible and whatnot, but is it reliable, or will I have to go fixing things every patch to continue being able to play? This could be a dealbreaker for me.

Just looking for a little insight, any and all are appreciated.

Vsin

02-16-2013

I've heard that Wine works fine, but I don't use Linux so I'm bumping your thread instead.

DeadXera

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
I've heard that Wine works fine, but I don't use Linux so I'm bumping your thread instead.
Thank you, friend, for the kind bump, and any and all info helps so thanks for that too. :3

Keggarr

02-16-2013

League works semi-alright on Wine. It takes a ton of tweaking however. There is a guide floating around here somewhere on how to do it.

Something you have to take note of though is that you are essentially double emulating to run it. CPU is essentially running a game inside an OS inside an OS. As such, expect sub-optimal performance. I have a beast gaming rig and only pull 30 FPS when I run it on my Ubuntu partition.

EDIT: Here is the thread I used. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1946188

DeadXera

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keggarr View Post
That's a really helpful guide, thanks. I'm a little worried about the performance aspect though. I mean, shelling out the money to get a better rig, only to set my performance back because I'm having to emulate (twice, as you stated) is a bit harsh.

Keggarr

02-16-2013

Indeed. Its not really worth it in my personal opinion. Its fun to tinker with but not to use as a full gaming rig. Just dual boot your computer like I do =]

Elder Bitstream

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadXera View Post
That's a really helpful guide, thanks. I'm a little worried about the performance aspect though. I mean, shelling out the money to get a better rig, only to set my performance back because I'm having to emulate (twice, as you stated) is a bit harsh.
I have LoL running fine under Wine, with caveats. Here are my notes:
  • You have to patch the Wine code to avoid crashes due to unsupported texture operations. Download the NamiPatch here. (You can also read the announcement from Play On Linux.) So, you'll need to learn how to download the Wine source, apply the patch, and compile it yourself.
  • Be sure to use Winetricks to intstall all the extras required, as spelled out in the Wine App Database.
  • You have to install modified textures to fix problems with lots of item icons appearing as solid red squares (because of the above patch). This mod is optional, but helps. Download LoL-Linux-Tools from github.
  • You may have to set the Wine emulation to "Windows XP". If you leave it on "Windows 7", there's a good chance you will experience severe graphics tearing that will kill your framerate. (Some reports specifically say the opposite: that you have to set it to "Windows 7" or your framerate will be horrible. So, play with it and see which emulation works best for you.)
  • For best stability, use the "builtin wininet". With the builtin library, LolClient.exe will not crash all the time, but you also won't be able to purchase anything, including champions.
  • For purchases, switch to "native wininet". The native library will enable champion purchases, and some have reported getting parts of the in-game store to work too. (I haven't yet.) However, LolClient.exe has a tendency to crash frequently with the native library, so I would recommend you switch back to the builtin library before playing matches.
This is all I can think of right now. It's definitely not the easiest path, and I would love to see Riot replace that Adobe AIR client with something that would give them more complete control over their codebase. It might be easier for them to retain a level of Linux/Wine compatibility that they're just not able to achieve when using AIR.

Elder Bitstream

02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadXera View Post
That's a really helpful guide, thanks. I'm a little worried about the performance aspect though. I mean, shelling out the money to get a better rig, only to set my performance back because I'm having to emulate (twice, as you stated) is a bit harsh. :(
I'm playing LoL on a 3-year-old system with a 9800 GT video card, and get 40+ FPS consistently. If Wine is configured appropriately, the game does not need cutting-edge hardware to get acceptable performance.