Pick Order vs Call

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aparthesis

02-22-2013

Well there have probably been many talks about this or there might not have been but I really wanted to hear some comments and comment about this issue. This is by far the leading issue that I and many have within the game. Let me start of with something we are all familiar with-

Summoners code-

Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If youíre the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasnít already been filled. If everyoneís picked and something stands out as a deficiency in your team composition, try asking for another player to fill the gap, or change roles to embrace that responsibility yourself. Remember, that by taking on a role you donít normally play, youíll learn more about unfamiliar champions and increase your own skill level.

If more people actual read this and wanted to follow what it says instead of twisting it's words in order to use it against others this entire issue would be far less of a problem then it is. This is mainly about ranked matches. Mainly because so what if there is a troll or two in draft or what not. Of course you want to win but it isn't going to hurt you like getting trolls in a ranked match and i'm pretty sure everyone understands where i'm coming from, especially the people trying to claw their way out of bronze tier. Which I might add has been near impossible for me as i get close...BAM...someone says i'm first pick so I do what I want and you all go *Bleep* yourselves. I doubt there is a single person in here that has not had this problem at least once.

Riot has done a magnificent job in creating this game and an environment for players and it should be up to the players to make it better and more fun for all...now if that was what really happens to those that don't have a bunch of friends that want to group, duo, or even make up a team. I want to point out on specific detail about the summoners code that maybe most people don't realize. That fact is that it was created when LOL came out thus the players of the games hadn't even found they way that is best for everyone.

This is where we get into calling a position. Everyone does it, there isn't anyone that doesn't call there position, it is only when someone doesn't get what they want that they began a long winded tantrum about how they are higher in the pick order and they can do what they want...cause it's in the "rules". I keep looking for these rules but I can't ever seem to find it. I know it doesn't say that in the summoners code and that is why I posted it in here. Yes, it does say if your last to try and help your team out. Let me point out that last is the best position to be in cause you have the best chance to counter. Thus, sticking last with support every game does nothing but hurt your team in the long run.

LOL is a team based game, it isn't about the individual, so why is it so hard to understand that calling is better then saying- I pick before you so, I do whatever I want..... If anyone was to stop and actually think about things they would realize that first and second pick have the two most important jobs and that is picking champs for swaps or saving good champs for their teams. The quality of games that would be going on would be 100 fold better if people considered actually working as a team.

When it comes to ranked games- Does pick order really matter more then teamwork and strategy? Is playing what you want, cursing others, and crying about things really better then winning and having fun? It all comes down to the fact that pick order is for nothing but selfish losers who don't want to be a team player. Use pick order for the benefit of the team not your own satisfaction and I bet we would all have those close tough fought games that we all love having. Not the Thanks top and bottom for picking whatever you want and getting easily counter and thus guaranteeing us our loss.

In the end, pick order means nothing if not used for the benefit of the team. This is one reason why I call fill sometimes in order to let my team know that i'm flexible and willing to swap or pick whatever is needed to benefit the team. Whether i'm first or last it is always about the team.

-Aparthesis

PluRRR

02-22-2013

Personally when i got 1st pick i ban counters for my lane not usual (amumu,blitz blabla banpicks) so i could farm and zone enemy out and carry hard later,but problem is that somone always go AFK or w/e widought even giving me a chance to carry..Simple logic is,they just need to and play safe,I or w/e play like me clean up his lane and came to other to do cleanup and it's sure win if team trust you..so.. Play what you best with.. Dont go support if you are pro jungle just cause somone said "I want to play Udyr jungle pleasee"..You will feal bether if you play ur main and you would be able to carry bether and feel bether about defeat,cause in that why you will just know that you were worst than enemy laner or jungler and it's just GG.

Aparthesis

02-22-2013

That is one of my points with call being more important then pick as well. If a person just picks what they want to all the time then where does that leave the rest of the team. What if you are really good top and mid but someone else is just really good top...your willing to throw the game because of pick order and your selfishness. What i'm saying isn't absolute but for the most part it is for the best.

KnightxSScarlett

02-22-2013

My team picked top Zed, Mid Ahri, Jungle Shaco, and Ezreal. We need a hard tank, think I'll play Garen or Jarvan this game.

Echo5kw

02-22-2013

Plurr's post is everything that is wrong with a lot of people, in general and the game. Focusing on not what will make the team win, but will let them win one quarter of the game. Who cares if you win lane if every team fight the enemy gets 4-5 free seconds of damage because malph rushes and mumu q's into you then ults? Thats why people with game changing ults get banned, not people that are hard to lane against. Stop being selfish.

To the OP, the honest to god hardest thing about this game is jumping into a game requiring heavy team play with 4 people you don't know and making it work. There isnt any way to fix this but for people to suck up their pride and do whats best to win.

Jurgrady

02-22-2013

Honestly I've gone back and forth on this issue several times. And now that I've been playing this game for a bit of time I feel that pick order is more often then not way more telling about skill then call order.

If you can't play every role you don't belong in ranked in the first place. I don't care if you don't like it. That is the hard truth. The reason this is not being accepted is because too many "pros" have said that they carried to platinum with one champion. But overall it is much harder for you to do well if you can't play every role.

If the matchmaking system allowed for role choice, or created COMPLETELY even teams, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. The issue though, is that it doesn't. You as last pick may only play mid. And be decent at it. But because of the way matchmaking works, if last pick is given that mid role, there is a really, really, good chance, the person he is facing in Mid, is better. Sure every now and then I see a last pick destroy a lane. But more often then not they raged to get that lane, and then feed anyway, because they really aren't as good as they think they are.

All and all, the issue is that there is no prerequisite to playing ranked outside of a minimum champion pool (that isn't big enough) and to be level 30 (which is actually just the start as you are just getting your full runes open to you as well as masteries). The reason Bronze is so full of players is because most of them don't understand how to play. They may get how to play their lane, or their chosen champion, but they don't understand how and when to push a lane. When to freeze a lane, or even what that means. They don't understand match ups. Because there is nothing up to that point that teaches them.

Ultimately the only thing that could change this is an idea I recently read in a different thread. Charge for playing ranked. People who are forced to pay to play ranked will want to get the most out of it. And will be more likely to learn outside of just playing. There are over 10 MILLION LoL players, and yet only around 250,000 people tend to watch even the biggest tournaments. Which is the best tool for people to learn.

TLDR: Last pick is last pick for a reason, no matter how good you may think you are, 90% of the time the person you are facing in lane is better.

Aparthesis

02-22-2013

Well I like the end comment where it destroys the entire foundation of free to play that league of legends was built on. I'm glad that someone thought of an idea that wouldn't solve anything. Chances are if you had to pay to play ranked the same thing would happen, you would in fact have even larger egos. examples- I can throw this game cause I have more money then you. I don't care about paying for this cause I can afford it.

Then the people that pay the money even though it hurts them but they love the game enough to fork out money get shafted. So....in turn all you did was make the existing problem an even larger and more costly problem congratulations.

On one note, i do think that people should be able to functionally play every role. I can but I know where i'm weakest and where i'm strongest....hence why i call my best positions at the beginning just to be slapped around verbally and placed into a role i know and announce i'm horrible at. What is the most often comment after you announce to your team that you arn't good at this role "oh..well try your best"....then when you fail hard core it is always " you suck.....please uninstall....shoot yourself...".

It all seems pointless to me when it could have all been avoided in the beginning by not letting a bully run your champ selection.

Just remember that LOL is a team based game and getting a personal ranking based on how you do with 4 other people is a ****ty way to get a score. That is like putting me in a team with nothing but pros and saying....look at how high my elo is...which doesn't really fin matter cause it is everyone else carrying me. It is the same in the reverse- If i'm a better player but i keep getting shafted by selfish players that don't want to work as a team i get labeled unskilled cause of a team effort. Does everyone have an inflated ego?

TaintedHoly

02-22-2013

I will make this as simple as possible.

What gives the person the right to a spot just because they can type faster or have a computer that loads 100 ms faster than another person? This game is not a first person shooter. The person with the fastest reflex does not get the spot. The person with the higher elo does, even if they are not that farther ahead of the next person.

Other people have made the comment on why cannot the first picks let the last picks get mid and top, so they can counter other picks. I can make the same question on why last picks cannot automatically go the unpopular picks so they can trade with first picks so they can counter.

In duo que or solo que, you cannot trust in another person perception that they are the best person for a certain role. If you do not know how to play a certain role in ranked, you should probably not be playing ranked anyways. Knowing how others play a certain role will give you a prediction on how they will be playing and what actions they will take. This skill is crucial on playing as a team. As someone has already mentioned, if you are awesome at a certain role, you should tell your party. However, just because you tell your team that you are great at a certain role, your statement should not give you the right to automatically play that role.

chris2423

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2013

someone is butthurt because spamming what tehy want when they are last pick doesnt get them what tehy want...

laxjoh

02-23-2013

Pick order > calling. Period. Stop trying to argue those facts. Why play draft/rank then if the picking is done by DRAFT PICKING? The very fact that it's draft picking, it's automatically pick order > call. Sure, someone in earlier picks can concede roles and that would be great. But nothing is stopping them from taking whatever roles they want so you better figure out what role you will fill with. If YOU do some kind of troll pick afterwards and justify it by saying you called it first, you will get banned; not the guy who was first pick that took your role.