The final piece missing of the LoL puzzle

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geekweezul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
Short story: replays are much easier when you don't patch every 2 weeks. If we want replays to be saved and viewable for all time (for ALL TIME!) then we need a better system than that.

Notice how you can't view replays from older patches with most games? We will not accept that.
But wasn't there a program someone from their community made that allowed you to watch older replays?

I think someone in our community could make something like that.

It might have been for DotA.

It also might have been in my dreams...but I coulda sworn it was real...

iAnc SweetDreaM

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxanomaly View Post
Where's that raplays gu------- oh wait 'til I give him this awesome news, he's gonna be totally thrilled about it. If he'd understand most of it -_-'.
??? What

iAnc SweetDreaM

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekweezul View Post
But wasn't there a program someone from their community made that allowed you to watch older replays?

I think someone in our community could make something like that.

It might have been for DotA.

It also might have been in my dreams...but I coulda sworn it was real...
No you are not dreaming. This was called a version-switcher, common to both Starcraft: BW and Warcraft 3 TFT (DotA). RIOT isn't Blizzard though, so they have reinvent the entire idea of viewing replays, but if it takes another year... that is too late IMHO.

Beatus

10-29-2010

We REALLY need replays ASAP.Many and many times I've seen bugs reported with no evidence to suport them, simply because the game has no replay.
Replay would make reporting players and bugs a LOT easier.
I remember the other day a guy posted a couple screenshots about an item that didn't exist, which had a infinite stun.Many said his screenshots were fake, and I can't blame them for that, but what if he had a replay to prove it?
Seriously, we need replay ASAP.About the version issues, couldn't you just create another software, just to save the replays?This way, LoL's version wouldn't be an issue, just the replay saver software's.

orime

10-29-2010

Quote:
Short story: replays are much easier when you don't patch every 2 weeks. If we want replays to be saved and viewable for all time (for ALL TIME!) then we need a better system than that.

Notice how you can't view replays from older patches with most games? We will not accept that.
Could you at least release a working version of replays without patch support and with a big red BETA stamp ? It would be very nice to be able to have this, even if replays get lost, you can still use them quickly to create videos or stuff like that.

Also, what I'm curious about (if I may ask) is, do you have a plan on how to do this, but it takes alot of time, or are you trying different ways without knowing wether they'll work or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceMixt View Post
A replay of a game was invented by Blizzard with Starcraft...
You're wrong. Replays were invented at least 100 years ago, approximately 3 years after Al Gore invented the internet.

Buhamut Zeo

10-29-2010

Quote:
We did think of that when we started out. Don't know why you think we didn't.
Because it's been a year since release and it's still not out? x_X But hey, at least we have expensive rune pages, right?

I understand why it's difficult, you have to account for every future patch. At least you don't have to worry about patches released before now, right? No saved replays.

iAnc SweetDreaM

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatus View Post
We REALLY need replays ASAP.Many and many times I've seen bugs reported with no evidence to suport them, simply because the game has no replay.
Replay would make reporting players and bugs a LOT easier.
I remember the other day a guy posted a couple screenshots about an item that didn't exist, which had a infinite stun.Many said his screenshots were fake, and I can't blame them for that, but what if he had a replay to prove it?
Seriously, we need replay ASAP.About the version issues, couldn't you just create another software, just to save the replays?This way, LoL's version wouldn't be an issue, just the replay saver software's.
Yeah this is just another facet of the game where replays could be greatly advantageous ! It can help reporting players purposefully abusing and acting like children in ranked play ! Oh man would that ever be nice... we can open a new section in the forum for reporting Abuse with replay to backup the claim ! Imagine how many immature game ruiners we could filter out this way ? Eventually they will learn after climbing back to level 30 for the 3rd time and keep their Noses clean at that point.

It's all just a learning process, replays help develop pro-scene, help improve overall gameplay and will DRASTICALLY improve the way the metagame is interpreted and molded. THIS IS ABSOLUTE HIGHEST PRIORITY.

I actually expected fully for replays to be out even before the Ladder was released. They must be having a great deal of trouble coding it and everything thats involved cause this is a GIANT HOLE in the game right now... we need reps !! hehe

iAnc SweetDreaM

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by orime View Post
You're wrong. Replays were invented at least 100 years ago, approximately 3 years after Al Gore invented the internet.
If that's a joke aimed at me or just a joke in general... I don't get it... ha ... ha ?

I will re-word my phrase then: Blizzard are the first RTS Game developpers to allow replayability of their in-game matches ! That work ?

bnaM

10-29-2010

Quote:

Then don't patch every two weeks. You have games like DotA that patch once every 2 months and is still successful. If you want to add a new champ, just add the champ; you don't HAVE to make so many changes every two weeks. Plus, your private servers are meant for less patch. If you can work on your new champ before it's release correctly and not mess up like you did with MF (so many complaints; how did the testers say "yes she is good enough"?), less patch would be needed. Your excuse isn't every excusable.

Aelloon

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhamut Zeo View Post
Should thought of that when ya started out.

What we're really afraid of is that you're gonna charge us for something that comes standard with every other game.
It would be totally fine if they did. Why? Because usually if you make a game with replays you have to think about that when you start creating the game engine. It's rather difficult (or in most cases pointless) to just add another replay layer to the game. They'd have to make significant changes to the game itself to make sure we get proper replays AND it would cause A LOT of potential bugs.

If they just add like another layer to the game for replays then it would pretty much be no different than someone using Fraps or another video capturing program, which would be a pointless things.

To be honest, then I'm sure that someone at Riot is actually working on changing the engine to support replays.

EDIT: bnam, releasing a champion doesn't really make much of a difference at this point. But changing game mechanics does. And patches that optimize the game etc screw up a lot of the potential work someone did for replays.

1234567 ... 12