The final piece missing of the LoL puzzle

First Riot Post
123456 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

McBeard

10-29-2010

Replays aren't the final missing piece. Clan support is also missing! Other than that, this is really an excellent game now that draft mode finally showed up.

NWOiscomingsoon

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhamut Zeo View Post
Should thought of that when ya started out.

What we're really afraid of is that you're gonna charge us for something that comes standard with every other game.
Agree a bit with your first point. But no they will never charge us to watch replays ! That would be theft.

Warburton

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
Short story: replays are much easier when you don't patch every 2 weeks. If we want replays to be saved and viewable for all time (for ALL TIME!) then we need a better system than that.

Notice how you can't view replays from older patches with most games? We will not accept that.
hmm try replicating the halo 3 replay system? replays for only recent games are saved in a seperate folder that is almost "shared" between clients. You can only save a certain number of replays permanently and viewing these from a 3rd party would require you to download it every time you reaccessed it.
In a sense its a form of specific file sharing regulated through the client.

Would that help for a more persistent replay system?

huxanomaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2010

Where's that raplays gu------- oh wait 'til I give him this awesome news, he's gonna be totally thrilled about it. If he'd understand most of it -_-'.

Guinsoo

Game Designer

10-29-2010
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhamut Zeo View Post
Should thought of that when ya started out.

What we're really afraid of is that you're gonna charge us for something that comes standard with every other game.
We did think of that when we started out. Don't know why you think we didn't.

NWOiscomingsoon

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeard View Post
Replays aren't the final missing piece. Clan support is also missing! Other than that, this is really an excellent game now that draft mode finally showed up.
My title is a bit misleading, I meant for the pro-scene. I very much enjoyed following the Pro DotA teams on the mymym.com site when it was at the height of its existence. It was AWESOME ! People from all around the world together in one place loving one team (or another). Awesome discussions and lots of great replays that just got better as time went on and the metagame switched. Always new stuff and excitring action by the Top Tier players. THIS is what made competitive DotA so viable in its hayday, and its WHY LoL's pro-scene is nearly nonexistant. I can still name you 5 of the top DotA teams (SK, check6, MYM, MeT, Pandemic) and some pro SC teams: SKTelecom, Hanbit Allstars, Lecaf Oz etc etc

From LoL... I know of one team, the guys who won WCG and Mr HotshotGG who seems to be only name from LoL's pro-scene I can retain... They need more exposure !!! (That would be CLG, counter logic gaming, gj to them BTW ! )

NWOiscomingsoon

10-29-2010

Oh and to be able to REWIND a replay would be just F*U*C*K*I*N*G amazing and I would ****m in my pants to be able to re-watch awesome action over and over if I so please !! Like these DVRS and pausing live TV lol

Numbat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
Short story: replays are much easier when you don't patch every 2 weeks. If we want replays to be saved and viewable for all time (for ALL TIME!) then we need a better system than that.

Notice how you can't view replays from older patches with most games? We will not accept that.
I honestly think that replays are more important than observer mode. Replays done right just like you said, observer mode later.

After all, unless one of the observers is recording with fraps it'd be impossible to distribute the game for the playing populace to learn from, whereas replays are a record that you can return to and learn new things with easily (and easier to distribute since they'll take up less HD space than a video).

I suppose take your time to do it right, but do remember that competitive SC only exploded after (proper) replays came out. =)

NWOiscomingsoon

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbat View Post
I suppose take your time to do it right, but do remember that competitive SC only exploded after (proper) replays came out. =)
This is so very true. I want LoL to be a successfull pro-gaming title, it has all the potential and the player-base is now overwhelming, imagine the kinds of teams that will develop once replays are out ! We don't need observer mode... not once while sitting in PVP.net have I thought about wanting to observe a game... But MANY times I've wished I could have recorded my last game played as now it's lost forever (except in ma head !ROFL)

NWOiscomingsoon

10-29-2010

And an auto-replay saving function (On/Off) would be essential also

123456 ... 12