The final piece missing of the LoL puzzle

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iAnc SweetDreaM

10-29-2010

REPLAYS.

A replay of a game was invented by Blizzard with Starcraft... it helped improve and develop the Competitive scene by allowing regular/casual players to view "pro-level" users games. If you played SC, you know exactly where I'm coming from. I played for many years, and my main way to improve was by watching my own replays (to learn from mistakes) and by watching many many (MANY) pro-replays.

Not only are watching pro-replays helpfull, but they are very entertaining and pass the time better for me than watching any other type of media (for example: a movie from Hollywood). Now what instigated this "rant" ? LoL's direct modern day competitor is, all you all may know, Heroes of Newerth. They have had the replay function out for a long time now and their pro-scene is developping 10 times faster than League of legends. Pro-strategies and gameplay IMPROVE the overall competitive scene and actively changes the meta-game and brings about obvious Bugs and Balance issues that need fixing. By this last statement, I mean that commonalities with strategies and gameplay will develop into a pattern in some situations and people good at analyzing these games (there will be potentially millions of people, once replays are available) will see these trends and act accordingly (wether it be a developper who begins to strive for more balance in a certain game-situation, or wether it be a regular player who adopts a certain way of playing to get better.)

I'm not quite sure why I don't see this rant more on the forums, but common now, screw built in voice-chat (we have been using ventrilo even before all these games came out (in DotA i mean) and it has been working just fine). TAKE VOICE CHAT AND OTHER THINGS OFF THIS PRIORITY LIST AND MAKE REPLAYS >>>FIRST<<<

This should be realistically out before the next large tournament. Within only a month of this function being released the game WILL begin to change and turn into a real competitive scene, with pro-teams striving for greatness and beginning to aquire a Fan-Base. All we have right now are the VOD's of the WCG matches, and they are great !

We could have these awesome shoutcasters taking replays of matches already recorded (when replay function is out) and adding voice-chat commentary over top of replays and release as video, very helpfull for players, instead of having to always stream these games.

REPLAYS PLS TKS

/End Rant

Celerity

10-29-2010

They know about this, it has been promised since closed beta.

Guinsoo

Game Designer

10-29-2010
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Short story: replays are much easier when you don't patch every 2 weeks. If we want replays to be saved and viewable for all time (for ALL TIME!) then we need a better system than that.

Notice how you can't view replays from older patches with most games? We will not accept that.

madstermind

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2010

It's not like there's a megathread with a Riot response on replays on the front page already...

EDIT: Now there are 2 ^

Kagetenshi

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
Short story: replays are much easier when you don't patch every 2 weeks. If we want replays to be saved and viewable for all time (for ALL TIME!) then we need a better system than that.

Notice how you can't view replays from older patches with most games? We will not accept that.
Thank you. So many games patch every week, screwing up any replays you might have saved. I can wait another year as long as you don't have this problem (b'.')b

iAnc SweetDreaM

10-29-2010

Yes the old version-switching is quite annoying from back in the day I agree, but we really need this function to develop the pro-scene. The player-base is here, now let us record and re-watch how we play your game Guinsoo !

It is nice to have you reply to fast though, it indicates to me that you do know about this function lacking and realize how big of an impact not having/having it will have.

I wish you luck with this great challenge and can assure (as you already know) that adding it will CHANGE LoL's pro-scene drastically and can only be for the better.

BUT

The longer we wait, the more the competitors are improving their already budding pro-scene. If we want to compete with that, we need something concrete NOW.

I was looking to watch an LoL match, and I clicked "Media" on the LoL main-page. A bunch of intro-videos and SS's. Could we not have a dedicated section for users to submit (through admin approval) videos of their games, essentially replays (VODs as in SC). This would be a great start and a great leap in LoL pro-scene. Think about it !

iAnc SweetDreaM

10-29-2010

Maybe u morons who just bash the thread can instead provide input ? WHo cares about numbers, it means you are THINKING TOO MUCH. We're not all super-humans, I did a quick browse and didn't see 10 posts about replays (which IMO there should be ! ).

Gimme a break sheesh.

iAnc SweetDreaM

10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagetenshi View Post
Thank you. So many games patch every week, screwing up any replays you might have saved. I can wait another year as long as you don't have this problem (b'.')b
A year??? The LoL ladder is going to be reduced to oblivion in terms of quality of players if you let the potential pro-scene go stale for another YEAR.

We need this before XMAS In my humble opinion. Do others not agree?

eXplodio

10-29-2010

Quote:

I'd be cool even with recent replays (last 7-14 days?) make them viewable for a set period of time then they just expire.

Buhamut Zeo

10-29-2010

Quote:

Should thought of that when ya started out.

What we're really afraid of is that you're gonna charge us for something that comes standard with every other game.

1234511 ... 12