Way to identify queue dodgers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clompy

Senior Member

02-22-2013

I was trying to think of a way to identify queue dodgers that would not interfere with a person's ability to play the game because I don't think it is serious enough to add lockout timers like normal or ranked. So with that in mind, what if someone who dodges a custom game gets a different summoner icon for 5 minutes? It wouldn't affect their ability to play the game at all, but it would be a way for hosts to identify potential dodgers prior to starting the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

New Gamerleans

Senior Member

02-23-2013

/bump for a good idea


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

Senior Member

02-23-2013

Or they could just add lockout timers like normal and ranked, so that the only people playing the game mode are the ones that actually accept it for what it is.

I've grown to accept that dodgers will be part of the game for the time being. But it doesn't mean that I don't think people deserve to get locked out of playing the game at all for queuing up for a game mode and then dodging when they have an 'unfavorable' situation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bluhitman

Junior Member

02-24-2013

The reason that this might not be the best idea is that sometimes people are trying to get their friends to play with them, but do not want to make their own game, and sometimes people just start the game as someone joins when they could just be scouting games.

As a suggestion I would maybe place how many queues they've dodged in the day instead of a custom penalty.

However, what I like to do when I host is address the new person who joined and see if they respond, a talkative summoner is a summoner looking for a game just for them or usually stays after they encounter a responsive host.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

Senior Member

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhitman View Post
The reason that this might not be the best idea is that sometimes people are trying to get their friends to play with them, but do not want to make their own game, and sometimes people just start the game as someone joins when they could just be scouting games.
Solution: Make your own game. My friends and I do this all the time. It's far too hard to coordinate getting even 3 people into the same ARAM and on the same team if you just look to join one.

Quote:
However, what I like to do when I host is address the new person who joined and see if they respond, a talkative summoner is a summoner looking for a game just for them or usually stays after they encounter a responsive host.
This is a great tip. I'll often say things to people when I host just so they know I'm not AFK.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kalarepa

Senior Member

02-25-2013

People ask Riot to do anything with dodgers for like 2 years. There's some thread about ARAM Q with 20k upvotes and few red posts.
But Riot still doesn't do anything about it, because they have higher "priorities", aka new Annie skins.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalarepa View Post
People ask Riot to do anything with dodgers for like 2 years. There's some thread about ARAM Q with 20k upvotes and few red posts.
But Riot still doesn't do anything about it, because they have higher "priorities", aka new Annie skins.
It may not be the highest priority thing on their list, but it also is a bit more involved than many of us would like it to be. There are potential impacts to participation in the other maps/modes to consider. They need to figure out how much IP/game is appropriate so that people don't just use ARAMs to farm IP. It needs to be integrated as a game mode within the launcher. They may consider a different or modified system to determine your MMR for ARAM. And then there are some things that have been discussed on here that might call for internal debate from Riot's side (giving everybody access to full champion pool in ARAM, for instance).

The discussions of having a queue have been around for a long time. So had the discussions of having a map for it. Well, we finally got the map for it, but it took quite a while to show up. I keep hoping to see the queue show up on the PBE any time it gets updated, but I'm not going to hold my breath. It isn't, and shouldn't be, at the top of their list for completion. There are far more important things that they can be doing.