Is this a good idea?

Yes. 8 53.33%
No. 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Betting We'll Win

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elsabet

02-22-2013

The Background:
I might have time for one game of League per weeknight (I work full-time, and have a long commute.) Last night, I played my one game- a duo queue with a friend who achieved Silver as a result. I played well in spite of some lag, and it was a rewarding. But it took our team quite a while to win- 40 minutes. The game wasn't particularly back-and-forth either. If we were ever behind, it was only during the first 5 minutes. I suppose the time it took us to win was due to a lack of coordination- to be expected in Solo/Duo. But I must say that in the last 15 or more minutes of the game, I had a frustrated feeling of inevitability. Of course, winning is fun. But I might have preferred that the other team surrender so that I would have time for another game. After all, our Singed had completely owned their Cho top. Their Cho finished the game with 110 or so farm, while Singed had 260. The point is- Singed was essentially running all over their team. He would tank 4 or 5 of them, whilst flinging Ez back, and knocking his health down, leaving us to just engage when it was finally convenient. Zyra and I (Galio) would ult them together and it was no contest; our Corki and WW played well too.
This got me thinking- it's always up to the losing team to surrender. There is nothing I can do to win faster, aside from trying to coordinate with my team, and most people will say, "No win is ever guaranteed." Nor am I implying that it is. But I started to dream about being compensated for the time we spent 'wrapping up' what felt- for half of the match- like a sure thing...

The Idea:
[Solo/Duo] Players have an option to bet on their own team to win their game, risking IP to do so.
Rules
1) Players cannot bet against their team, for obvious reasons.
2) The earlier a bet is placed, the higher the stakes. Players can place bets as early as the start of a match. A bet's payout ratio will also be affected by the global gold and k/d differential between the teams at the time of the bet's placement.
(A late bet, placed when the gambler's team has a large lead is worth almost nothing. Timing has a greater weight than differentials however, such that a confident team cannot give up kills early to increase a bet's payout. Timing is not based on match length, such that players cannot drag out a game to increase payout.)
3) A player may withdraw her bet within 30 seconds of placing it- in case of accidental betting. Once a player's bet is withdrawn, she may not place another one in the same match.
4) Bets can be made privately, within team chat, or within all-chat. The latter can potentially raise morale, and the former can prevent within-team trolling.

Results
- Harmless fun.
- Opportunities for increased team cohesion/morale.
- Rewards to players who accurately predict victories.

Ziyen

02-22-2013

worthless

Mister Simple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2013

Harmless fun if ... you're not a gambling addict.

The Lonely Ward

02-22-2013

The only problem I have with this is the fact IP will be much easier to get, I like having this system where it takes like 40+ games to get 6300 ip makes it rewarding.

Mister Simple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2013

I wouldn't say it got easier if you kept betting and kept losing ^^

Elsabet

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziyen View Post
worthless
Sure, if $ is no object to you. Not everyone has endless RP [$], so IP is valuable to some of us.

soupbandit

02-22-2013

This will just make people rage quit. People will say something like " No champs cause betting hell"

Kuiet4

02-22-2013

people would just play games against their friends and farm IP.

Elsabet

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuiet4 View Post
people would just play games against their friends and farm IP.
I should have clarified that this would not apply to custom games, only Solo/Duo... I thought that might have been clear based on the rules and exceptions I laid out.

Elsabet

03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupbandit View Post
This will just make people rage quit. People will say something like " No champs cause betting hell"
I don't understand this criticism at all...