Celestine Soraka, catholic pope themed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1028f9d39ec492e16485e

02-22-2013

Okay, you should know before reading my rant about this that I am not super educated in the fields of catholism or the branch Celestine in it (so I might be really slow on this reaction) but I know what I know so to say. And you should prolly also know that I am not very fond of catholism simply because they seem to have something agianst women being popes and have lot of conservative ideas that I don't think very high of. And that I'm agnostic, there.

Now my rant can begin. Celestine Soraka is something I first believed to be a reference to something 'celestial'. But since her name isn't Celestial Soraka but Celestine Soraka I couldn't help to notice that it didn't make any sense. So I did a quick google and found this on wiki; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestine[1]

Things wiki thought Celestine could refer to. And since I don't think this has anything to do with a mineral or a singer and the fact that people have humorly been calling this 'Pope Soraka', the only thing that made any sense that this skin was a reference to was this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestines[2]

A branch of the Benedictine Order of monks. Basically, as far as I can understand, this skin is a reference to a certain branch of roman catholic munks/popes.

I don't know about what everyone else thinks but does our worlds religons really fit into this game? For me, I'd keep everything like that out of the game since to me, LoL world isn't like ours, they have their own politics and religons.
And why make Soraka a pope when she's a healer? Popes to me are just spiritual healers and I don't see how she is connected to catholism at all. And I find it ironic that she's a female pope when they obviously have never had a female pope (wonder why). Or is Soraka just a nun in this?

I don't know, maybe there's been other skins that have had a strong reference to our worlds religons as well but I have not heard of them since I play a rather small group of champs.

I'm sorry if there's any typos and stuff, my english is rusty. But I hope it's understandable. Please someone, enlighten me to why Riot made this skin with such a reference, I really wanna know why. So please don't just downvote and not say anything about it, tell me instead so I can understand. I'm looking for answers here.

This is not so much feedback as it is questions but it seemed to fit here. In GD everything gets lost anyway unless you have red post on it so.

HearshotKDS

02-22-2013

Look up the word in a dictionary, you derpistani.

Peligrad

02-22-2013

That would be hard to do Hearshot since, unless you use a German dictionary, you won't find anything...

Celestine is German for celestial.

There were also 5 popes by the name Celestine (I, II, III, IV, V).

Celestial means "of or relating to the sky or the heavens."

So yes...I think you could safely say that this Soraka skin is pope themed...lol

IS1028f9d39ec492e16485e

02-22-2013

@Hearshot I did in fact look it up in a dictionary (english one) and the only thing I found there was a mineral. So, yeah. Read before you comment please.

@Peligrad Not only 5 popes but Celestine is a whole branch of roman catholic munks.

Trazier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2013

Oh shut up, if Soraka's new skin was based on the catholic church, she'd be working in some seminary in europe because she's a girl and girls are icky. In fact, she'd likely be going after the altar boys and..... no wait.... the catholic priesthood is all about homosexuality.... She'd be going after Annie and promising her new toys and things if she'd just be silent about the sleepovers and extra attention given at sunday school.

GiottoXIII

02-23-2013

this is what happens when u bring a discussion of religion to a forum just don't do it... religion is one of those touchy subjects that should never reach the internet im atheist but i honestly dont give 2 fks and i think it should be left that way given the fact that Trazier has already shown how mature the online community can be

CerealBoxOfDoom

02-23-2013

There's no catholicism on valorian. That would be offensive like the very suggestion of having a champ that is to be perceived as "black". Therefore this cannot be a reference and xinxiao looks just as white as everyone else

reavemearone

03-03-2013

does this mean she's going to quit being in League now?

apparently someone doesn't get the joke

Papersuit

03-03-2013

the popes were named after the concept of a celestial nature , and in sorakas lore she has a spiritual connection with the heavens so. I think what Riot was going for was just a priestess like soraka not trying to make reference to a particular denomination. The Catholic Church is the most well known organization that employs priest so I can understand where the connection was made

Invictrix

03-03-2013

So this is what I just read.

"My name is raiinboom and I am a heathen who hates Catholics, and I don't want Soraka who has gone the longest without a new skin among all the champions in the game to have a new skin since it might be Catholic inspired plz don't downvote me btw since my feelings are fragile unlike the feelings of Catholics who I don't care about."

Your lame argument about keeping religion out of the game completely ignores the fact that there are two full blown Angels in the game.

Being an Atheist and hating all the 1.16 billion Catholics in the world based on some half baked whims that's intolerant in the extreme, but denying Soraka her first new skin in three years that's inhuman.