Oberon the Faerie King

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

Senior Member

02-22-2013

The Glade needs more whimsical representatives!

You may have met Puck, the Mischievous Sprite, but here's Oberon, King of the Faeries!

Vitals:

  • ATTRIBUTES: Ranged, Mage, Support
  • RANGE: 525
  • MOV. SPEED: 325

Quote:
Attachment 621335 Will o' the Wisps
Each of Oberon's basic abilities will summon a faerie to attack nearby foes, prioritizing Oberon's attack target. Faeries deal physical damage and take reduced damage from area of effect. The maximum number of faeries is capped. If Oberon already has the maximum number of faeries, the oldest will be replaced.
  • MAXIMUM NUMBER OF FAERIES: 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
  • REDUCED DAMAGE FROM AOE: 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 %
  • DAMAGE: 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 (+15% bonus AD)
  • LEVEL-UP: 1 / 6 / 11 / 16
  • FAERIE BASE STATS:
    • HEALTH: 100 + (25 x level)
    • ATTACK SPEED: 0.665 + any bonus attack speed Oberon has
    • ATTACK RANGE: 125 (Faeries will fly into range of Oberon attack target)
    • ARMOR: 30
    • MAGIC RESISTANCE: 50
    • MOVEMENT SPEED: 370 + any bonus movement speed Oberon has
Quote:
Attachment 621333 Q: Outer Flame
PASSIVE: Oberon deals 10 (+10% AP) magic damage every second to nearby enemies per Fire Faerie.
  • OPTIMUM AURA DAMAGE: 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 (+20 / 30 / 40 / 50% AP)
  • OPTIMUM GHOUL DAMAGE: 20 / 60 / 120 / 160 (+30 / 45 / 60 / 75 % bonus AD)

ACTIVE: Oberon unleashes a Fire Faerie, dealing magic damage to surrounding enemies.
  • MAGIC DAMAGE: 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 / 175 (+ 50% AP)
  • COOLDOWN: 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4
  • COST: 40 mana
Quote:
Attachment 621334 W: Primordial Surge
PASSIVE: Oberon replenishes 4 (+2% AP) health and mana whenever he or his Earth Faeries attack.
  • OPTIMUM HEALTH/MANA: 12 / 16 / 20 / 24 (+6 / 8 / 10 / 12% AP )
  • OPTIMUM GHOUL DAMAGE: 20 / 60 / 120 / 160 (+30 / 45 / 60 / 75 % bonus AD)

ACTIVE: Oberon summons an Earth Faerie at the target location, healing surrounding allies while damaging surrounding enemies. The amount is doubled if at least one ally would be healed and at least one enemy would be damaged.
  • BASE HEAL/DAMAGE: 40 / 70 / 100 / 130 / 160 (+30% AP)
  • MAXIMUM HEAL/DAMAGE: 80 / 140 / 200 / 260 / 320 (+60% AP)
  • COOLDOWN: 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4
  • COST: 40 mana
Quote:
Attachment 621331 E: Static Shield
PASSIVE: Oberon gains 10% bonus movement speed and 20% bonus attack speed for every Static Faerie. Additionally, Static Faeries have 10 more damage than other faeries.
  • OPTIMUM MOVEMENT SPEED: 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 %
  • OPTIMUM ATTACK SPEED: 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 %
  • OPTIMUM GHOUL DAMAGE: 40 / 90 / 160 / 250 (+30 / 45 / 60 / 75 % bonus AD)

ACTIVE: Oberon surrounds himself with a static shield for 2 seconds. Enemies who damage the shield (at least 40 damage) unleash a chain of lightning that damages them and up to 3 other nearby enemies.
  • SHIELD STRENGTH/MAGIC DAMAGE: 80 / 120 / 160 / 200 / 240 (+ 60% AP)
  • COOLDOWN: 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4
  • COST: 40 mana
Quote:
Attachment 621332 R: Creeping Frost
PASSIVE: Oberon takes 5% reduced damage and passively slows the movement speed of nearby enemies by 7% per Frost Faerie.
  • OPTIMUM DAMAGE REDUCTION: 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 %
  • OPTIMUM SLOW: 14 / 21 / 28 / 35 %
  • OPTIMUM GHOUL DAMAGE: 20 / 60 / 120 / 160 (+30 / 45 / 60 / 75 % bonus AD)

ACTIVE: Oberon hurls a frost faerie forward, damaging and slowing any enemy champion it passes through for 1.5 seconds.
  • MAGIC DAMAGE: 50 / 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 (+ 50% AP)
  • SLOW: 20% / 25% / 30% / 35% / 40%
  • COOLDOWN: 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4
  • COST: 40 mana
Oberon, the Faerie King, is a champion whose theme is based on the theme I created as part of a Yorick rework. The basic mechanic of his kit is an amalgamation of Elise, Udyr and Yorick.
  • Like Udyr, Oberon does not possess an ultimate and instead features four basic abilities. Due to the level limit, it is not possible for Oberon to max each of his skills.
  • Each of Oberon's skills summon a faerie that is specific to that skill (a la Yorick). These faeries last until killed and behave like Elise's spiderlings (in the sense that they aren't merciless harassing tools).
  • Oberon gains a passive effect for each active faerie that is specific to each faerie type. These effects do not scale with rank, but rather than quantity of a specific faerie out at any one time. The maximum number of faeries you can have active at any one time increases at levels 6, 11 and 16 (to a maximum of 5).

A fully formatted version can be found, here.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kriptini

Senior Member

02-22-2013

I can't believe you would make a Midsummer reference without including Oberon's sleeping flower! D=


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AuroraDragonKaya

Junior Member

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriptini View Post
I can't believe you would make a Midsummer reference without including Oberon's sleeping flower! D=
Or Puck, if we're talking about summoning minions. But Puck is worthy of being a champion in his own right, really. (I have a thing for trickster figures in myth though, ha.)

As a fan of Fae related things, this drew my eye quickly.

Some parts are a little confusing for me though.
For example, when he switches fairies, do all summoned fairies change to that type? If not, and you have to kill them individually (I imagine they still die over time, as most pets do, but you never mentioned how long they'll stay out.) they're pretty powerful, as most of the characters I've seen that have different auras only keep the effects for 1 second afterwords after switching.

I'm also confused on how some of the targeting works (which might just be my inexperience) Are there skill shots? You mentioned prioritizing his attack target in one spell, but how do you know what his attack target is? Do you select it with the spell? Is everything AOE? How do the faeries prioritize targets?

Some clarification would really help.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

Senior Member

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriptini View Post
I can't believe you would make a Midsummer reference without including Oberon's sleeping flower! D=
Oberon started out with a mechanic similar to Dota's Invoker. Like the Invoker, Oberon's Q/W/E were just sigils that orbited Oberon ~(like Syndra's spheres). The general mechanic then evolved into pets/companions, rather than blobs of magic, and this is where Oberon came from ("King of the Fairies", rather than being a Midsummer reference). Several iterations later, and this is what Oberon looks like.

Someone then suggested that I should make Puck and Titania, too, and Puck is definitely a better Midsummer reference than Oberon - you should check him out (link above)! As a matter of fact, I actually finished Puck while Oberon's kit still looked like the Invoker (and had 10 ultimates)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraDragonKaya View Post
Or Puck, if we're talking about summoning minions. But Puck is worthy of being a champion in his own right, really. (I have a thing for trickster figures in myth though, ha.)
Well you should definitely check out my Puck suggestion too. He's like a support version of Fizz - very playful, with a very whimsical kit (including Lover's Drought, which is a unique form of CC).

Quote:
Some parts are a little confusing for me though.
For example, when he switches fairies, do all summoned fairies change to that type? If not, and you have to kill them individually (I imagine they still die over time, as most pets do, but you never mentioned how long they'll stay out.) they're pretty powerful, as most of the characters I've seen that have different auras only keep the effects for 1 second afterwords after switching.

I'm also confused on how some of the targeting works (which might just be my inexperience) Are there skill shots? You mentioned prioritizing his attack target in one spell, but how do you know what his attack target is? Do you select it with the spell? Is everything AOE? How do the faeries prioritize targets?

Some clarification would really help.
When you cast one of his abilities, Oberon will attempt to summon a faerie of that type. If Oberon already has the maximum number of faeries, the oldest one will be replaced. This is described in his innate ability. It's almost like a stack system. At level 1, you can have 1 Frost and 1 Earth; or 2 Frost; or 1 Static and 1 Fire. By level 16, you can have up to 5 faeries.

The faeries last until killed (or replaced by a new faerie) - the same as Elise (except that Oberon summons them instantly, rather than having to switch forms). This is mentioned at the bottom of my post.

I would hope each aura is balanced around the mechanic - if you feel any aren't, please inform me. While doing 50 (+50 AP) magic damage a second is strong - it requires casting Q five times in a row without using any of his other skills. In most cases, you won't see Oberon's with five of the same faerie out. At most you'll see 2 or 3, as your average player will be constantly casting abilities as necessary. I'd say the most common mix would be Q and E for the shield and AOE damage - but he'll need to use R for slow (which will summon a Frost Faerie whether you wanted one or not), and support/jungle Oberons will likely make use of the heal/on-hit sustain.

I think I should stress that the summoning of faeries is his innate ability. Each of his Q/W/E/R abilities are basic skills, just like any other champion. You cast them, and they summon a faerie that follows you around and attacks whoever you attack. His Q is like Amumu's Tantrum; W is like Karthus's Lay Waste; E is like Shen's Feint; and R is like Ezreal's Essence Flux. Faeries themselves aren't controlled like a pet, they follow you around like Elise's Spiderlings and attack whoever you attack.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hayes

Senior Member

02-22-2013

how did you get all that stuff made up , is there a site or something with templates?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

Senior Member

02-22-2013

The idea came from my imagination. The formatting of the page came from years of experience on this forum. And the icons came from the League of Legends game files.

I wasn't sure if you meant "made up" as in to look pretty or what. So if I haven't answered your question, then could you please ask it again (differently)?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AuroraDragonKaya

Junior Member

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mptylord View Post
Well you should definitely check out my Puck suggestion too. He's like a support version of Fizz - very playful, with a very whimsical kit (including Lover's Drought, which is a unique form of CC).
*squees and rushes off to do so*


Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mptylord View Post
The faeries last until killed (or replaced by a new faerie) - the same as Elise (except that Oberon summons them instantly, rather than having to switch forms). This is mentioned at the bottom of my post.

I would hope each aura is balanced around the mechanic - if you feel any aren't, please inform me. While doing 50 (+50 AP) magic damage a second is strong - it requires casting Q five times in a row without using any of his other skills. In most cases, you won't see Oberon's with five of the same faerie out. At most you'll see 2 or 3, as your average player will be constantly casting abilities as necessary. I'd say the most common mix would be Q and E for the shield and AOE damage - but he'll need to use R for slow (which will summon a Frost Faerie whether you wanted one or not), and support/jungle Oberons will likely make use of the heal/on-hit sustain.

I think I should stress that the summoning of faeries is his innate ability. Each of his Q/W/E/R abilities are basic skills, just like any other champion. You cast them, and they summon a faerie that follows you around and attacks whoever you attack. His Q is like Amumu's Tantrum; W is like Karthus's Lay Waste; E is like Shen's Feint; and R is like Ezreal's Essence Flux. Faeries themselves aren't controlled like a pet, they follow you around like Elise's Spiderlings and attack whoever you attack.
Ah, the fact that the faerie summoning replaced his innate I actually didn't get at first. Also wasn't sure if the max fairy cap mentioned in his W carried over for all the other effects.
Your post clarified a lot of things... maybe carry some over to the original post?

That aside, this is really cool, in my utterly biased fae loving opinion. :P Also makes me sad to think I will not be able to play him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

Senior Member

02-22-2013

Most of what I clarified is in the original post. His innate described that he summons faeries, that is is capped and that the oldest ones died if he's at the cap. At the bottom where I compare him to Udyr, Elise and Yorick, I mention that they "last until killed" and that they behave like Elise's spiderlings. I may clarify a few points, though. ^_^

And thank you. You never know - Riot did say they were dissatisfied with how Yorick turned out. Which might mean that they're looking for another "army of minions" type character.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tantaparo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-22-2013

Midsummer Night's Dream.. lame..


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3mptylord

Senior Member

02-22-2013

Constructive comment - thank you.


12