Halp, new PC restarts 3 seconds after reaching Windows 7 startup logo.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tempname950

02-22-2013

Just put a new PC together, and it seems to start up fine. I'm using the same HDD I just pulled out of my now former PC, which was working JUST fine an hour ago.

I can't really troubleshoot everything I just connected, as the only parts I'm using from my now 'former' pc are my PSU and HDD.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be? I'm making it past POST so it's not my RAM, and it seems to have something to do with windows files when it tries to start loading them. My HDD SEEMS to be connected just fine.

What can I do?

Xalemus

02-22-2013

Buy wards.

Nakage

02-22-2013

This is probably the worst place to post your computer issues. Try a website dedicated to actual tech support.

All I can say is that it sounds like your boot file/bios are corrupted, so you should just insert your windows disc and boot from windows. As long as you don't wipe your computer, you will still have all your old files. This is a common issue with new motherboards/bios mismatch with the HDD. You could also try updating the firmware in your motherboard, but I would just reinstall windows.

LiquidCrack

02-22-2013

solo baron.

is your copy of windows legit?

Xengre

02-22-2013

Is the drive set to IDE and not AHCI in the bios? I assume you didn't get an SSD still. Can it boot up into safe mode? Perhaps the RAM is bad (try Memtest86+, need to put on a CD or flash drive to run it). Something on the CD such as boot sector is damaged or destroyed (use Windows CD to try and repair it). A bad option/setting in bios, perhaps. These are a few things to consider and use that information on google to figure out rest. Would help more but going to sleep. Luck.

FaithNHumanity

02-22-2013

Sounds a lot like a corrupted bootstrap.

tempname950

02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xengre View Post
Is the drive set to IDE and not AHCI in the bios? I assume you didn't get an SSD still. Can it boot up into safe mode? Perhaps the RAM is bad (try Memtest86+, need to put on a CD or flash drive to run it). Something on the CD such as boot sector is damaged or destroyed (use Windows CD to try and repair it). A bad option/setting in bios, perhaps. These are a few things to consider and use that information on google to figure out rest. Would help more but going to sleep. Luck.
Didn't get an SSD this time. It's a SATA drive. After the fail to load windows, it restarts and gives me the option to load normally(in case power was merely interrupted), or do a startup repair. I did a startup repair, and allowed it to attempt a system recovery as well, and it came back and said it was unable to fix the problem. I'll try a memtest via startup repair.

DreamwalkerLin

02-22-2013

Are you able to format your PC? if the problem starts happening at windows loading screen then problem should be with windows, where you can just re-install it completely. Hope you have your files backed up!

Abroad Unicorn

02-22-2013

The problem could be with your PSU, and your computer simply isn't getting enough power, or far more likely is that you have a corrupted version of windows installed. Try formatting the drive and reinstalling windows from scratch. If you are relunctant to do that, then try running the windows repair utility and searching for corrupted files. This might work, but there is no garrentee.

edit. oh, and check to make sure that you have the 4/8 pin PSU connected to your motherboard. I know that this can frequently cause your PC to restart at boot-time.

tempname950

02-22-2013

People are getting me mistaken.

It's not failing to load a screen at all(indication of a RAM problem)

It runs through ALL the POST screen section, then the part where the windows 7 logo is supposed to float in to the screen, it stops and restarts 2 seconds later.