Can someone explain ranked for me...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KAISER OV SVAUG

02-21-2013

So I keep hearing people say they can do what they want in ranked because they're first pick. When i ask them why they think this, they tell me it's in the "Rules of drat pick" I have never seen these "Rules" before. These people usually take no ones preferences in to consideration whatsoever and it usually result in my team fighting among themselves the entire game. So Where is this sacred "Rule"

Subzero Ray

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2013

lol.

There are no "rules of draft pick". Anyone who tells you that is just another lane caller noob. What the "rules of draft pick" are, is... well... since you being not the first pick can't pick anyway, the first pick will do whatever he wants so that he forces you to play something that he doesn't want/feel like playing, even if it's a role that you may have already mentioned to your team that you suck at. Upper skill level players generally don't follow this "rule"... and even if they do, they are more concerned about getting everyone into a role that they can perform well in rather than shoving off their teammates and jeopardizing the game before the game even loads.

Dalek Hal

02-21-2013

I have not read the summoners code word for word, but I do believe there is a section in there on pick order being what prioritizes who gets what. But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

But when you play with better/more intelligent players they will want to make sure everyone has a role they can play, and they will also try to have smart picks for 1, 2, and 3 that are hard to counter. Like your support, adc, and jungle roles. So if they ask you to trade with them, try and do it.

ZOMGTURTLE

02-21-2013

Higher skill level players don't always cooperate like that. I recall a while back one of the famous junglers (don't remember who, it was Saintvicious or HotShotGG, someone like that) receiving a suspension because they were streaming, called jungle, someone picked jungle before them, and they went ahead and picked a jungler and trolled. So high level doesn't mean more cooperative.

It's by no means the "Rules of ranked" or anything, but the people picking before you are higher rated, and with the way draft picking works, they really have no obligation to not pick what they want to. Sure, it makes you a better teammate to work things out best for everyone, but you don't HAVE to. =P

GoombaStompin

Recruiter

02-21-2013

its more of a courtesy than a set in stone rule. Imagine for a moment that no one was to talk in champ select. Who would get first dibs on their favorite role?
~The person who picks first.

In a perfect world you'll be allowed that same courtesy when its your turn to pick first.

angryWelchMan

02-21-2013

Actually its no longer done to where the better people are higher in pick order

the rule is "Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If you’re the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasn’t already been filled. If everyone’s picked and something stands out as a deficiency in your team composition, try asking for another player to fill the gap, or change roles to embrace that responsibility yourself."

Basically take everyones preferences into account when you pick but If you want AP mid and the guy aboved you takes it, dont pick a second AP carry unless you actually think itll work

youmadbroimnasty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2013

you carry you win

ibsrashid

02-21-2013

Believe it or not, upper skill level players sometimes get put into positions where they have to choose another position thats open because their main position is taken, example if Nyjacky and Scarra ended up on the same team and Nyjacky is first pick, guess who's going elsewhere? First Pick chooses which lane they want, that's how it should work because whether you like it or not youre pick order doesn't come before and the position you want has been filled, live with it and try your best at the positions left in your team