Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Player Behavior Experiments and Restricted Chat Mode on PBE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kocsogKALMAN

02-21-2013

YES ive been sending messages to riot about that change FOREVER finally they heard my voice! (they probably DIDNT and finally after months they realized themselves that banning people for ****ty verbal harassment is stupiod, and u should restrict their chat!)

i feel like i should get some reward rp since im telling riot about this chat restriction option for so long and they didnt even answer me :'(

RIPSheathix

02-21-2013

I would like to see the banned players getting a chance. Of course with their chat privileges taken away

Ithea

02-21-2013

Is there a reason IP address bans are not a thing? I don't think many of the rotten children ruining this game would figure out a way around it.

Elements

02-21-2013

Won't this create lack of communication if they don't have freedom of speech?
e.g.
player 1 "they're going to do baron if caitlyn goes bot"
player 1 "it's okay I have tp up"
player 1 "I have ult in 34 seconds"
player 1 "mid no summoners"
Are you really going to take every single positive thing they could say and add it to a list of things they can say? What if they mispell etc. Imo it might create a bit of lack of communication.

'As the game progresses'
What if the game progresses much faster then first thought?

OhBoyItsaMegaman

02-21-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
To unlock this restriction on their account, these players must play a set number of matchmade games with positive, non-toxic behavior.

I have one recommendation. Please require these games to be solo queue PvP games. I do not like the idea of someone being able to breeze through their punishment by queuing up with 4 (or worse, 3) of their buddies, nor by spending a few hours breezing through bot games. They should have to play PvP games and without any Skype buddies to serve as surrogate ragetrolls.

...oh ****

OH ****

MAN MODE: REQUIRE THEM TO WIN A CERTAIN # OF GAMES, OR # OF GAMES IN A ROW, OR WIN A DIVISION-SERIES-STYLE BEST-OF-9. I WANT TO DRINK THEIR TEARS OF FRUSTRATION.

Kenshiro Shin

02-21-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
For a while now, the player behavior team has believed that bans are not the ideal solution for dealing with toxic players in League of Legends. Sometimes a banned player will create a new account and negatively affect the experiences of low level players. During this time, the banned player is not learning what it means to be a positive member in our community.

On the player behavior team, one of our core philosophies is to create features that can help toxic players reform their behavior. We have been working on alternatives to banning, and will begin running experiments on the PBE. Unlike many features on PBE, these experiments will see rapid iterations, and may look completely different when they go live. Some experiments might take two weeks, some might take two months, and some even longer. Running experiments this way on PBE will introduce a new level of transparency in our ongoing player behavior initiatives, and we encourage players to join us in these experiments and shape the future of the League of Legends community.

The first experiment we are trying is a new restricted chat mode. Players that are identified as the most toxic by our player behavior systems will be placed into a restricted chat mode where their ability to participate in [All] Chat is disabled. Also, these players will have a limited number of chat messages they can send to team chat, which will slowly increase over the course of a game. To unlock this restriction on their account, these players must play a set number of matchmade games with positive, non-toxic behavior.

With this experiment, we hope to address a few key issues. First, we hope this will help toxic players to think carefully about their chat messages and what they use them for—if these players still choose to rage, they will immediately hit their message cap and be muted, shielding other players from their harassment. If these players use their available messages responsibly, they can learn to exhibit positive and constructive communication in League of Legends.

Secondly, we hope that by tying the punishment to games played instead of a set duration of time, we can enable toxic players to assume more responsibility for their actions. Players will no longer be able to make new accounts for a few days to escape their timeban—they will have to play matchmade games in restricted chat mode to unlock their account chat privileges again.

This is the first experiment in a series that will all be focused on replacing bans with alternative punishments that encourage players to improve their behaviors, and you will see this feature on PBE shortly.

So banned players are still prema-banned?

YueienGato

02-21-2013

Quote:
Kenshiro Shin:
So banned players are still prema-banned?

So it seems. But, then again, there isn't enough information released yet nor, as it were, has the new changes been implimented on live as a policy.

You can hope but don't get yourself too excited just yet.

ESP

02-21-2013

This is the best idea ever. Thank you guys. :') I genuinely think this will help a lot. Hopefully it doesn't cause a significant profit decline, as I assume it will increase rage-premaquits.

Question: Does this affect pre/post game chat?

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-21-2013

Quote:
Vacus:
I'm not sure I like the idea of being in a game with someone who has a cap on the number of messages they send.

Yes, it would reduce their ability to rage, but it seems to me like someone who didn't learn anything from their punishment would hit their cap and then be unable to communicate with the rest of the team for the rest of the game. Yeah, they're being punished, but they say useful things sometimes too. I don't like them raging and making the game no fun for anyone, but I also like winning games, and I'm not sure whether them being utterly silent is actually an improvement in that regard.

(I know this is an experiment and I'm sure you've already thought of that, I just wanted to put my opinion out there).

Part of the experiment is trying to gauge how many chat messages a player needs to effectively communicate in a game, and how much communication can be conveyed solely through pings.

We'll adjust the feature as necessary throughout the experiment.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

02-21-2013

Quote:
Fomorian27:
I'm a little unclear about this. Are there going to be actual restrictions on players making new accounts, or will it just be as a result of having access to the normal account and being able to unlock restrictions through playing games?

We aren't explicitly locking or preventing players from new accounts; however, by tying punishments to games played instead of time, we force players to play on their main accounts in 'restricted mode' or they will never be able to remove the punishments on their main account.