Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Player Behavior Experiments and Restricted Chat Mode on PBE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Al3x4ndar

02-22-2013

I like the idea, also you might want to consider limiting the words they can use (some kind of filter) to: mia, ss, baron, dragon, blue/red, enemy blue/red, etc.

Quote:
Lyte:
We hear this feedback a lot, but there's no silver bullet to player behavior. Restricted chat modes might be optimal for addressing verbal abuse and verbal harassment, but it's not going to be the solution for players who AFK--we shouldn't try to force this feature to also address that problem or every other player behavior problem.

If players who AFK is the next biggest problem we want to tackle, we'll research the space and determine what the best solution might be--it might be a modification of some current features, or it might be a brand new feature.

Solution to fixing AFK/trolls problem is simple, but Riot prefers to keep the head in the sand and not punish them. Do what every game company with conscience would do and start matching AFK-ers and trolls with only eachother. Forget your lame excuses about queue times, they deserve longer queue times. And if people hat don't troll and go AFK have to have a bit longer queue times so be it, I'd rather wait 2 minutes more and have a clean game with no idiots than waste 20+ minutes in a game with troll or leaver.

Satracs

Recruiter

02-22-2013

U should make that the lower kda the person is acumulating the less chat messages can he archieve ( trolls feeders) and i mean under 0.2 or som, u got the data xD

YSRS

02-22-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Because there isn't a Tribunal set up on the PBE, we won't be experimenting with Tribunal interactions with this feature.

However, we're already brainstorming and planning experiments between Tribunal and this feature and how it might work; we're also thinking about how Tribunal cases may have to change a bit to reflect players who were in restricted chat mode and still reported enough to enter the Tribunal.

Oh I see, Thanks for awnsering!

My 2cents re:Tribunal case changes as presented to the Tribunal Judges

I am sure you have already thought of some kind of Indicator to go along in the Tribunal Case showing whether or not the Summoner-under-review(SUR) is undergoing some kind of restriction to chat.

I wonder if Combining 2 Experiments set up like below would help determine whether or not showing an indication of the SUR's restriction might bias some Judges

Set up :

Take a Region or All Regions Top 10'000 or 50'000 or ( insert sample size here)
Run through for say, a day?2 days? a week? : Cases that would be expected out of SURs who are chat-restricted

These could be derived from PBE testing for instance.

Make half of these cases have the mark, the other not have the mark.

Run.

Compare the data that results, re-iterate to whatever design goal you are aiming for
and proceed!

^ Any thoughts on whether a set-up like that would be useful? Or would it suffer from its own problems?

How high a sample would you need to get a (pronounced chi)X co-effecient that indicates low statistical "noise"?

Good luck with the testing!

Jinx3r

02-22-2013

Holy **** I'm not going to get permabanned if this is legit.

For some reason I just can't avoid hitting the enter key when I'm pissed off and it has gotten me banned on multiple occasions.

Satracs

Recruiter

02-22-2013

Quote:
Al3x4ndar:

Solution to fixing AFK/trolls problem is simple, but Riot prefers to keep the head in the sand and not punish them..

what kind of company wants to make people dont play his game?. afk and trollers are something that happens and will always happen, but that dosnt ruin the game at all, just makes u lose 20 mins of ur life

Jinx3r

02-22-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
No. We will not be offering permabanned players a chance to come back because of this feature.

Highly unfair in my personal opinion, you offer reform but only to a select few?

@an earlier statement that I saw also

Current system is highly highly highly ineffective, you can be intentionally terrible but as long as you're nice about it you're fine.

Then there's people like me, I try as hard as I can constantly, but I have a terrible tendency to go off on ___ op rants.

cbl0w

02-22-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
On the player behavior team, one of our core philosophies is to create features that can help toxic players reform their behavior.

I'd say: Lyte for president! Maybe one day, you all have enough data to revolutionize the whole penology.

You miss one importent thing, though. I really like those positive texts which should influence the behavioir of a player, which are shown at the beginning of a game, i.e. "teams who communicate have a 31 % higher win-rate", because they teach the player to behave well with positive feedback.

What I think you are missing: rehabilitation. When a toxic player receives a punishment (either ban or chat restriction), AFAIK (never got banned, only heart about) this player only receives an email ("hello summoner, you broke the summoner's code, here is your punishment&quot. How about.. some "education"? Explain why he should change his behavior and what benefits he will gain so.

Dondudu

02-22-2013

I'm concerned that this will cause toxic players to not fear punishment as much as they do under the current system. Although they can no longer simply wait out their punishment on an alt, this new system is hardly a punishment at all. Toxic players will knowingly abuse other players, take their chat restrictions and then simply play until their restrictions are unlocked again.

Pentakill

Senior Recruiter

02-22-2013

Quote:
Dondudu:
I'm concerned that this will cause toxic players to not fear punishment as much as they do under the current system. Although they can no longer simply wait out their punishment on an alt, this new system is hardly a punishment at all. Toxic players will knowingly abuse other players, take their chat restrictions and then simply play until their restrictions are unlocked again.

No one said they wouldn't ban repeat offenders! =P

Wendek

02-22-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Custom games won't count; however, Co-op vs AI games will count because they are considered a matchmade game.

If players want to play a large number of games in Co-op vs AI and not talk at all, we're OK with that. That's still a small improvement over being toxic and banned.

Realistically, how "large" are we talking ? Is it a fixed amount or does it depend on the number of games you played ?
'cuz if it's like, 50 games, it could be a week or it could be 3 months... so people who play less (or play less matchmade games) would be punished more than people would just play a ton ?